Where is the Fault??

sai111

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hello Every one....I have bought a system with the following details mentioned below:

i7-950 processor running at stock speed
Gigabyte UD3R mobo
4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws supporting upto 2100 MHZ but running at 1066 MHZ by default(Not sure how to tweak them to 2100)
1 2TB Seagate HDD @ 5900 RPM
1 500 GB Seagate HDD @ 7200 RPM
MSI NVIDIA GTS 250 Videocard
600W coolermaster PSU

I bought this config few months....Now the problem is that the system some how I feel is lacking to deliver the punch which I felt it would have given me.......No joy buying all these high end components as the system seems to be slow and I dont feel any worth buying a system with these specs.....I cant figure out where my system is lacking or which Component is the reason for bottleneck of the PC.....I dont have any freezing/ crashing issues but the system is lacking the performence(that's how I feel)

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
What do you mean by punch? Is it in terms of gaming? encoding? editing? applications?

Please be more specify with your problem that you're facing.

Anyhow, you graphic card seems to pale comparing to your mighty i7 processor, the graphic card is too weak for delivering punches in modern gaming, it was a great performer 2~3 years ago.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
None of the stuff you bought is high end at all, so your lack of excitement is not all that surprising. Your system specs are 2 years old technology wise. The graphics card is 3 years old tech wise. We also don't know what you upgraded from or what you are trying to do with your system.

sai111

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
The 'Punch' which i meant i have defined it in the post....i.e,performance wise Esp: start up time, Copying files , Opening of Applications,response time etc... The graphics card seems alright to me as it gives me 60 FPS on above moderate settings....but i Feel the HDD or the RAM is giving me the Bottleneck.......

sai111

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
@ngoy........I am not a freaking enthusiast to buy a 6 core processor....but the time at which i bought them they were the best ....expect the graphics card.....we all know technology doesn't remain the same everyday...try to understand that i was stating to the time when i bought the system but not at this particular point....by the way i upgraded from a C2D to i7

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
A 7200rpm won't do any BIG differences that you're looking for. The upgrade maybe only boost the speed by less than 10% which is not noticeable.

As you can see in my sig, I have the same CPU with you, but I'm only using a WD 1TB Black, which is good enough for my usual loads for now, as I only play games and watch movies on this PC.
As for my work PC, I'm using a Samsung 500GB 7200rpm drive as well, my option is cheap but I can wait for it to load, I do encoding, photoshop, flash and office work with that, I'll just need to wait longer.

Well it all depends on you, you can go get the SSD and have blazing fast copy and load, but ask yourself this question. "Do you really need that?", or it's just to satisfy your speed lust. No offence here.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I guess I don't understand if this happened over time, or if you all of a sudden feel that your system is slow. You could have a virus or trojan, too many things running in the background, bad sectors on the harddrive, etc.... Spec wise your system should be 50% faster than your C2D system that you upgraded from. You already have a 7200 rpm drive, which hopefully is your boot drive. An SSD will definitely make your system feel faster, but you have to balance that price against say, a new cpu and mb, especially with both bulldozer and sandy bridge EX coming out.

sai111

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
@ngoy.....It is not a sudden process...but i feel over time I hv felt tht system is slow in performance....I hv AVAST 6.0 running in my system which is I think a good antivirus....

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Well you cud try running 3x 2gb in triple channel config and see if it helps:)
Also install the OS on the 500GB 7200rpm disk....leave the slower 2tb for data, no need to exchange or buy a new one. But yea, an SSD will do wonders.

Honestly speaking, i think there was a much much better way to spend your money, this build isn't all that "balanced", but then that's your business :)

UhavbenkildbyGW

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Ok, I think I could possibly know whats going on here. The same thing happened to my friends laptop. It just slowly over time started running slower and slower, just sluggish and kept getting worse and worse till it took like a minute to load up anything and it couldn't even run world of warcraft. I checked it out and brought the cpu monitoring widget up, the cpu was running at 80-100% all the time, he had some kind of self replicating virus taking up his processor, but it didn't happen all in one day, it slowly ate away at his system till he finally got fed up with it and brought it to me. I reinstalled windows and it was good.

I guess the first thing I would do in your situation is reinstall windows, my other idea is to install a cpu temp gauge, it could be that your heatsink is blocked up with crap causing it not to work very well causing your cpu to throttle back on itself to avoid damage. I had that happen to my laptop. If you move your comp at all to like lan parties another thing I would check is that your heatsink is seated properly and all the screws are tight.

Just ideas based on my experiences you may have checked both these things out already.