Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer running to hot

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:05:52 PM

So I am fairly new at messing around with computer hardware, and built a new machine with the help of an IT friend. I have an ASUS M4A78LT-M mother board, 4x2GB DDR3 Samsung M378B5673EH1-CH9 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR5 gpu, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.2GHz. At first I was using a stock power supply that was 330 W but it could not handle the power needs so I upgraded to a 530 W one. Before the new power supply the computer would shut off on its own, then when I put the new one in it was able to last. But, it began to blue screen(artifacting) just before the blue screen, and me and my friend widdled it down to overheating issues. According to coretemp my cores at idle are 55 degrees Celsius, I also have CPUID Hardware Monitor and its temps are about the same. CPUID HW is saying that my GPU temp is around 60 degrees Celsius at idle. My ambient temperature is usually around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Also I am running windows 7 Home premium service pack 1(dont know if this is usefull) Any insight will help.

More about : computer running hot

a c 154 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:40:50 PM

What make/model of power supply are you using? Are you trying to overclock anything? Are you using the stock AMD CPU heatsink/fan (HSF) or an aftermarket version?
Score
August 18, 2011 7:48:45 PM

Stock heatsink/fan (shouldn't it be capable of running on correct temps?)

power supply is a RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

nothing is being overclocked
Score
Related resources
a c 154 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:54:42 PM

I hate to ask, but when you installed the HSF, did you remove any tape or the little plastic cover (varies by OEM HSF used)? Also, have you verified that the HSF fan is actually turning?

Something else to check. Are your front fans sucking cool air into the case and your reae fans pulling the hot air out?

Yes, the stock/OEM HSF should be fine for normal operating speeds.
Score
August 18, 2011 8:04:20 PM

Yes, removed tape or whatever it was before installing, and fan is turning. Also heatsink fan is blowing onto the heatsink. I only have one fan attached to my case, it is pulling air out of my case, is it a problem that i do not have one sucking cold air in. My case is that of a HP p6230y(the initial computer that I bought then stuck the new thing into) should I buy a new case and additional fan?

Id rather not buy a case and fan and have them not solve the problem so if there is anything to try before buying those it would be helpful.
Score
August 18, 2011 8:13:36 PM

Oh, and I'd rather you think of me as the most noob person with computers ever and get some obvious things out of the way. Who knows, maybe I made the simplist mistake. I'd hate to overlook it
Score

Best solution

a c 154 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 1:38:13 PM

Your case should be fine. In fact, OEM vendors, like Dell and HP, generally put a fair amount of engineering into their case designs to maximize airflow and to minimize noise.

In your situation, you may have simply installed more horsepower (and more heat generation) than the case was designed for.

When I looked at your original config's service manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859455.pdf

I did not see a place to mount a front fan. Take a look for yourself to see if it is possible to mount a front fan. Also, I would recommend you install an aftermarket HSF (like the one below). It will do a much better job of cooling the CPU and helping get hot air out the back of your rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck!
August 19, 2011 1:58:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I looked and there is not a place for a front fan. I'm going to order the HSF you recommended as well as a better case just for added security that I will be getting good air flow. I'll post back when I have the parts installed and can monitor my temps again.
Score
August 19, 2011 2:00:18 PM

Also I am assuming that you used thermal-paste/compound between CPU and Heatsink, right ?
Score
August 19, 2011 2:20:31 PM

yes I did apply thermal paste
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 2:28:41 PM

The stock HSF should have had a "patch" of thermal compound on it, right out of the box. Did you use that? Remove the stock patch and use another product? Or, did you add more to what was there?

I assume you used what was already applied to the HSF. Please clarify.
Score
August 19, 2011 5:44:01 PM

Yes at first I did use the origional patch of TIM but i had to remove the processor for some reason(i cant recall) and I applied new TIM, twice now.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 5:47:25 PM

gp20789 said:
Yes at first I did use the origional patch of TIM but i had to remove the processor for some reason(i cant recall) and I applied new TIM, twice now.

Understood. Hopefully, you applied as thin and even a coat of thermal goo as possible.

With thermal compounds, more is not necessarily better. In this case, less is actually better. Too much can keep the HSF and CPU too far apart and not as efficient or effective with heat transfer. This can certainly lead to higher temps.
Score
August 19, 2011 5:54:57 PM

Yes, i believe that i used a thin enough layer. I used a razor to apply it and made it as thin and even as i could.
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 6:04:30 PM

gp20789 said:
Yes, i believe that i used a thin enough layer. I used a razor to apply it and made it as thin and even as i could.

Excellent! You did good then. Seems to put us right back to the airflow discussion from earlier.
Score
August 19, 2011 6:20:42 PM

yes, i ordered the HSF you suggested. now the wait begins
Score
a c 154 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 6:28:28 PM

gp20789 said:
yes, i ordered the HSF you suggested. now the wait begins

Cool beans! When you install it, make sure it blows air toward your rear exhaust fan. That way it will help pull more air through the system and exhaust the hot air out the back more effectively.

I have several of that very same HSF (including in my home server) and I have been very happy with them.
Score
August 19, 2011 8:16:16 PM

Awesome, was just about to ask which direction to mount it when it gets here d=
Score
August 28, 2011 11:46:37 PM

Ok, my parts came in and I installed and everything is golden. No more overheating and my temps haven't been over 45 C.

Thanks for the help, yall are life savers (not literally, i wouldn't have died... some one might have cuz it was getting annoying lol. so i guess in a way... literally)
Score
August 28, 2011 11:47:22 PM

Best answer selected by gp20789.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 1:08:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!