Sign in with
Your question

Quad core vs i5

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:19:52 PM

Hello,

Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide beside 3 CPUs for the task of music production. I know I will require lots of RAM (atleast 3 GB) for my production style but am not sure with regards to the best CPU. My choices of systems are:

AMD Phenom II Quad Core N970 (2.2 GHz); 2 MB L2 cache; 6 GB RAM

Intel i5-480M; 2 cores 2.93 GHz; 3 MB L3 cache; 4 GB RAM

AMD A6 3400M Quad Core 2.3 GHz; 4 MB L2 cache; 4 GB RAM

All input is welcome, thanks

More about : quad core

a c 141 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:38:48 PM

Obviously, all of these solutions require different motherboards. All will be very capable of supporting music production. It really comes down to your budget. Are you building a completely new rig? Or, are you "re-cycling" stuff from a previous build?
m
l
August 18, 2011 7:57:03 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified, these are all ready made laptops from the retailer. They are all within $30 of each other pricewise. My first inclination was to go with the 970N system because of the added RAM the laptop comes with but I have gotten mixed opinions from various store associates about whether it is the best processor out of the three listed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 7:59:41 PM

The AMDs will generally have better graphics capabilities that the typical integrated Intel solutions. If you listed the make/models of the laptops you are considering, it we could make a more informed recommendation.

Also, what software package/application(s) do you intend to use?
m
l
August 18, 2011 8:05:52 PM

In terms of audio programs, I'm using:

Propellerhead Reason,
-Windows:
Windows XP SP2, Vista or Windows 7
Processor: Intel P4 / AMD Athlon XP or better
Memory: 512 MB RAM minimum, 1 GB recommended
Screen resolution: 1024x768
2 GB free hard disk space

Ableton Live,
- Windows: 2 GHz Pentium® 4 or Celeron® compatible CPU or faster (multicore CPU recommended), 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended on Windows Vista and Windows 7), Windows XP (home or Pro), Windows Vista or Windows 7, sound card (ASIO driver support recommended), DVD-ROM drive, QuickTime recommended

and FL Studio
- 2Ghz AMD or Intel Pentium 3 compatible CPU with full SSE1 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously. Download and test the demo!
Windows 7, Vista, XP & 2000 (32 & 64 Bit)
(or) Intel Mac with Boot Camp (running XP, Vista or Windows 7, 32 or 64 Bit)
1 Gb or more RAM recommended
1 Gb free disk space

They will be commonly grabbing data from a bunch of virtual instruments referencing about 20GB of audiofiles on the hard drive in total.

The links to the computers are:

ACER 7551G:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-17-3-a...

ACER 5742:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=330...

ASUS K53TA:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&w...

I really appreciate any and all input!
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 1:43:17 PM

I would take the Asus over the Acers any day. Plus, you get 4 cores for rendering and production.

Good luck!
m
l
August 19, 2011 3:14:15 PM

Thanks a bundle for your advice!!
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 3:23:49 PM

For your use the i5 is by far the best
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
August 19, 2011 3:43:58 PM

The argument of whether the i5 (Intel) or the AMD offerings isn't the only consideration here. Of the choices made by the OP, the Asus machine is a better quality rig than either Acer offering. All 3 systems are WAY more than sufficient to handle the workload (by a lot in fact).

The performance delta is questionable as well because of the number of cores available and the difference in graphics/video prowess.

So, I dispute the statement that the "i5 is by far the best". This is more than a CPU only question and even that answer is debatable on some levels.

Bottom line, the OP can use any of the 3 he selected and do just fine. Asus is a better builder than Acer, that I think we can all agree on.
m
l
August 19, 2011 7:01:16 PM

music_man_86 said:
Hello,

Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide beside 3 CPUs for the task of music production. I know I will require lots of RAM (atleast 3 GB) for my production style but am not sure with regards to the best CPU. My choices of systems are:

AMD Phenom II Quad Core N970 (2.2 GHz); 2 MB L2 cache; 6 GB RAM

Intel i5-480M; 2 cores 2.93 GHz; 3 MB L3 cache; 4 GB RAM

AMD A6 3400M Quad Core 2.3 GHz; 4 MB L2 cache; 4 GB RAM

All input is welcome, thanks

music editing on laptop??? you aint being serious are ya?

anyway i5 480m would be the top choice over pII as the performance per clock and overall single threading are insanely high compare to pII. more core + high clock speed won't guarantee the performance. architectural design and specification are fact. but if i were you i would get an i7 2600k or wait for lga 1556/2011
m
l
!