Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Media Center Error in Vista: Tuner Not Installed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2011 4:00:21 PM

My son obtained an ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner card from a friend which I have installed on my HP desktop running Windows Vista.

I did not receive any drivers to go with the card. Instead tried to install what was thought to be the correct drivers to use with this card.

Windows Media Center fails when attempting to use the device, getting a "Tuner Not Installed" and/or "Tuner Not Found" error.

I did a check to see if this card (manufactured by ATI Technologies) is compatible with Vista. The list of ATI cards which included SEVERAL types of ATI TV Wonder cards indicated all were CERTIFIED FOR WINDOWS VISTA.

My questions are these...
(1) How can I tell exactly which of the listed ATI TV Wonder cards I have installed in my machine? I checked the card itself and did not find anything indicating whether it was a 600 PCI or 650 PRO or TV Wonder 550 or 600 card.

(2) Assuming I can get an answer to (1) above, how then can I determine what the correct drivers are which work with this card?

(3) Is there some sort of specific update for Windows Media Center that I need to fix problems with this type of tuner?

I am beginning to think, that whatever this card is, it will just not work with Windows Vista.

Thanks....
March 14, 2011 8:09:01 PM

Try ATi's site for tips on how to identify your card. Then go to the ATi driver site and answer the drop-downs - it'll take you too the driver you need for Vista.
m
l
March 20, 2011 7:31:59 PM

I have tried everything I can...including suggestions given in this thread, to fix my TV Tuner card to work with Windows Vista desktop and the Windows Media Center app which still does not recognize the hardware.

One thing I failed to mention... based on some other tips given, have been focusing on the type of Display adapter I am using. It is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS adapter. I am beginning to think that it may have something to do with this problem. Perhaps it is not compatible with the ATI TV Wonder video device I have installed.

I am pursuing this further to try and get an answer....
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b x TV
March 21, 2011 7:14:21 AM

My guess is that you need the original software disk for the TV Wonder Card. Just downloading the software package(Multi-Media Center) won't work because the install package requires the original disk be in the CD-ROM drive (for verification purposes).

This is based on my experience with the All-In-Wonder series cards.

-Wolf sends
March 21, 2011 11:48:47 AM

Wolfshadw said:
My guess is that you need the original software disk for the TV Wonder Card. Just downloading the software package(Multi-Media Center) won't work because the install package requires the original disk be in the CD-ROM drive (for verification purposes).

This is based on my experience with the All-In-Wonder series cards.

-Wolf sends

I suspect you are right about needing original software disk. My concern now though is whether the video display adapter I have installed will ever work with this TV Tuner. That I am still trying to determiine.

Perhaps I can try and contact the TV Wonder card manufacturer and see if they would send me the software disk to go with the card. Worth a try I guess.
m
l
March 24, 2011 9:16:54 PM

Best answer selected by day8tona.
m
l
March 24, 2011 9:19:43 PM

I suspect I may never get a final answer on this problem, especially since getting a copy of the original software disk for the TV Wonder card is highly unlikely. But will keep pursuing one.
m
l
April 3, 2011 7:43:48 PM

day8tona said:
My son obtained an ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner card from a friend which I have installed on my HP desktop running Windows Vista.

I did not receive any drivers to go with the card. Instead tried to install what was thought to be the correct drivers to use with this card.

Windows Media Center fails when attempting to use the device, getting a "Tuner Not Installed" and/or "Tuner Not Found" error.

I did a check to see if this card (manufactured by ATI Technologies) is compatible with Vista. The list of ATI cards which included SEVERAL types of ATI TV Wonder cards indicated all were CERTIFIED FOR WINDOWS VISTA.

My questions are these...
(1) How can I tell exactly which of the listed ATI TV Wonder cards I have installed in my machine? I checked the card itself and did not find anything indicating whether it was a 600 PCI or 650 PRO or TV Wonder 550 or 600 card.

(2) Assuming I can get an answer to (1) above, how then can I determine what the correct drivers are which work with this card?

(3) Is there some sort of specific update for Windows Media Center that I need to fix problems with this type of tuner?

I am beginning to think, that whatever this card is, it will just not work with Windows Vista.

Thanks....

If your tuner card has two antenna connectors then it has what they call a ‘combo’ tuner, which is one analog tuner and one digital tuner, obviously only an analog source can work on the analog one and only a digital source on the other. If it’s a single connector then it’s either an analog only (which would make it the TV Wonder 550) or a hybrid tuner which means it can be either an analog OR a digital tuner, depending on what kind of source signal is connected. That said if your source is over the air digital it will never work on a TV Wonder 550, but would work on the 600 or 650. If your source is analog cable that should work on any of the 3 cards, if your source is digital cable and it comes through a converter box, then Vista Media Center requires you to have what they call a “remote blaster” which is an add on to the normal media center remote. It is a wire that connects to the remotes receiver and the other end gets taped over the IR ‘eye’ on the cable box. This is so media center can change the channels. If media center can’t find this device it won’t work. There is a way you can “trick” media center to only look for the one channel that the cable box sends to, usually channel 3 or 4. I’m not sure how it’s done but I believe I saw the how to on The Green Button web site. If your source is unencrypted digital cable that works with a QAM tuner then Vista Media Center won’t work unless you have the “TV Pack” version, which from what I gather is rare. This is where the AMD/ATI Media Center software should work but you need the original disk, which is not available for download. There is an update for it but only for the Windows XP version. I have never seen an update for Vista. I thought I had once seen how to order a replacement disc, but I did a quick look the morning and couldn’t find it. You might give ATI Support a call.

I currently have an ATI USB 650 (combo tuner) and a PCIe 650 (also a combo tuner) installed. I previously had a PCIe 600 (Hybrid tuner) in place of the PCIe 650 along with the USB 650. So here’s the little I know about the drivers

a) I could run a Combo tuner on either a combo tuner driver or a hybrid driver
b) If left to automatically install drivers Vista always installed the wrong one on my computer. It would install a non ATI hybrid driver no matter what tuner or combination of tuners I had in the machine
c) The ATI drivers are now part of the Catalyst Control Center Video card drivers so if you don’t have an ATI video card you will have to use the older but separate tuner drivers.
d) The ATI Combo driver that I use is (10-4_vista32-64_unified_wdm.exe) (ver. 6.14.10.394) the Hybrid driver was (TV_WONDER_600_PCI_PCIE_DRIVERS_VISTA_VER_25.exe) I don’t remember the version number
e) After Vista installs the incorrect drivers you must change them in Control Panel --- Device manager --- Sound, Video, and game controllers. They should have ATI in the name
(something like ATI unified AVstream driver) but you should be able to identify them as ATI drivers and not somebody else’s
f) As a point of interest, the wrong drivers that vista installed did run the combo turner but treated it as a Hybrid tuner.
g) There is another piece called a ‘theater driver’ I think it has 550 in its name and I believe it’s used for the analog capture part of the card (the S-Video connector) used to hook up a camera to the card. I’m not sure but I believe it’s a software version of the mpeg capture feature that some of the cards have in hardware, so those don’t use this driver, but from my experience it doesn’t hurt if it’s loaded.

I did once try to run the “AMD Live Entertainment Suite” that came with my USB HD650 tuner, but had all kinds of problems with it. In hindsight I think it was before I discovered that Vista had loaded the wrong drivers. I’m thinking about trying it again, as I understand it starting next year (2012) the Cable Companies will no longer have to make analog signals available, so unless I can get the QAM tuner to work, which means I’ll have to get the AMD/ATI software to work, the only source I’ll be able to pick up is over-the-air digital. Sometimes this Entertainment suite is revered to as CMC for Catalyst Media Center
m
l
!