How much RAM for a gaming computer?

I was reading some of the recommended builds on this site for desktops, and noticed that most of the builds, even the high end ones, had only 4 gigs of RAM. I was curious if 4 gigs would be enough to make a good gaming computer that could also multi-task well. I'm looking at buying a whole new pc atm, and one of my major concerns is being able to minimize a game and still be able to multi-task low resource programs without any problems. I've got a build more or less set on newegg, but I downloaded the manual for the mobo i was looking at and noticed that it didnt say it supported any 4 gig memory chips. So should I worry about that or no?
25 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117
  2. I would go with 8gb of ram, ram is very cheap right now
  3. 8GB is optimal. You can add more if you're running strenuous tasks such as graphic design, video/photo editing etc, or if you're trying to futureproof you rig. 4GB is ok, but RAM is so cheap at the moment that it's something you just may as well get.

    If you link the MoBo people can give you a better idea of what to expect from it :)
  4. Games do not use more than 4GB right now. Me thinks that is because Win XP is still a pretty popular OS and it won't use more than 3GB. However, 8GB is so cheap right now that unless your budget is really tight, 8GB is what I would recommend. You can get 8GB sets for around $60 right now after rebate.
  5. I have 8GB and multi-tasking is a breeze even in games like Crysis, and Total War games. With RAM so cheap, you would be insane not to get at least 8GB. Though even when playing games I only use like 50% of my RAM. :D
  6. 4GB is the minimum for a gaming computer. Pricing is ideal for 8GB as others have mentioned.
  7. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

    That was the mobo i was thinking of getting. Unless someone has a better alternative that is.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    That's the memory I was planning on getting, but again, after downloading and reading the manual, I didnt see that memory listed there under the compatible list, so I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

    And thank you all for your responses thus far!
  8. go with an intel i5 2500k and a p67 mobo instead of AMD.. or wait for bulldozer chips to be released
  9. cmadrid said:
    go with an intel i5 2500k and a p67 mobo instead of AMD.. or wait for bulldozer chips to be released

    +1 for that.

    Either get i7-2500K and P67 board now
    one of best is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

    or Wait for AM3+ boards and Buldozer CPU.
  10. It should only be a couple weeks for bulldozer anyway, right?
  11. Maybe less if they get released at Computex next week
  12. My only problem with that is that I am on a budget, and AMD is just plain cheaper. I'm trying not to go over 800 bucks on the whole pc, and i'm sure any new cpu coming out would be almost that much.
  13. They've already announced prices for the new cpus =p
  14. You can build a respectable intel PC for 800 tho
  15. cmadrid said:
    You can build a respectable intel PC for 800 tho

    As cmadrid says, intel is essential in practically any build above $700~.

    It really helps the graphics card when the processor is decent - Graphics is the most important, but anything system concerned with gaming ought to have an intel processor; even a 2400 or less. But yeah, 2500k is great, if you need to save some money, here are some more options for RAM:

    The X Ripjaws u listed for $95
    or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345 is equivalent (maybe 1-2% worse..) ram; but for $75 after promo code. $20 off for 99.9~% speed is good enough.
    or you can get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233170
    For $100. Its the same version as the $75 kit, but slightly faster.
    I would'nt recommend the $100 for your budget; the $75 kit is barely worse.
  16. After looking at the cpu charts posted on toms, I am more inclined to get an intel one. So this would be a pretty decent cpu then?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

    And what would be a good mobo around 100 bucks? Also, for powersupply, if i'm not doing overclocking or anything, what kinda power should it have?

    I'll also just be getting a evga gtx 460 for my graphcis card (just for extra info)

    Thanks again!
  17. If you can push to about £130 you can get a very respectable P67 MoBo such as the Asus P8P67 Pro :)

    Edit: ahh, bucks. Sorry. I'll leave the comment because thats a Mobo I'd rate, but I don't know US prices for parts. Sorry! :(
  18. Yea, thats a good CPU.. do you live near a Microcenter? They have crazy deals for CPUs, so you could save 40 or $50 there if you do.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
    may work.. very good price if it does

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157233
    mother board option

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128473

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251
    would give you more options for the future
  19. cmadrid said:
    Yea, thats a good CPU.. do you live near a Microcenter? They have crazy deals for CPUs, so you could save 40 or $50 there if you do.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
    may work.. very good price if it does

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157233
    mother board option

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128473

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251
    would give you more options for the future



    Please no H67 boards they are very limited, with P67 or Z68 he can overclock i5-2500K cpu easily even on stock cooling.
    I am not sure about quality of Corsair CX psu line, usually AX>HX>TX quality in that order are most commonly used and have good reviews.
  20. If you want am inexpensive performance Sandy Bridge CPU, check out the i3-2100, don't dismiss it because it's a dual core. $125 on Newegg, and you could get a whole system for $800 with it, $150+ monitor and all.
  21. he linked a non-K cpu or I wouldn't have linked any h67 boards in the first place :p
  22. minnichief said:
    After looking at the cpu charts posted on toms, I am more inclined to get an intel one. So this would be a pretty decent cpu then?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

    And what would be a good mobo around 100 bucks? Also, for powersupply, if i'm not doing overclocking or anything, what kinda power should it have?

    I'll also just be getting a evga gtx 460 for my graphcis card (just for extra info)

    Thanks again!

    That cpu cannot overclock. It costs around $15-20 more for the 'k' version that can overclock, however, you'll need a much more expensive motherboard if you do want to overclock; this motherboard will allow you to SLI as well.

    So either spend $210 on cpu, $100 on mobo or spend $230 cpu + $150 mobo + $35 cpu coolant if you want to oc, with the 2nd option giving you the option to SLI later on (Which will require a second version of the same graphics card if you do). However, in the first option you are limited to not overclocking and not SLIing.
  23. If you can afford the K cpu/mobo/heatsink it will give you quite a bit more power down the line.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Computer RAM Systems Product