Looking for Pre-Built System That can handle TV and Monitor

ender5860

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi,

I need a pre-built system for a client to display on a TV at 1920x1080 and a standard 23" widescreen monitor at the same time.

I'd prefer one that has easy software for configuring the monitors to display at the correct aspect ratios at the same time as engineering drawings will displayed in presentations. Video playback may be required as well (Netflix).

I don't have time to build one.

Any help would be appreciated, and let me know if you need more info. Thank you.

Is this good? I'm no Acer fan, but it seems like a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG5900-U3092-Mainstream-Desktop/dp/tech-data/B004AGM1C0/ref=de_a_smtd

Hello ender5860;

Are you still looking around for a pre-built system?

If you have a 1920x1080 computer monitor and a 1920x1080 HDTV your presentations will always be in the correct aspect ratio. Or at least in the identical aspect ratio and resolution as the computer monitor.

Are you hinting that you have applications or videos that don't run in the 16.9 aspect ratio?

ender5860

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks WR2.

I didn't see that HP Elite model when shopping, but read some reviews of the 4xx series and wasn't impressed. I've had bad experiences with HP CAD boxes and although most major manufacturers are the same, I just couldn't buy another HP.

I bought a lower end Acer for $850. Not as good on specs as what you suggested, but at least you've shown me a new website for finding tech stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3600-U4082u-Gaming-Desktop/dp/tech-data/B004R9PGR2/ref=de_a_smtd

I am not that familiar with the new monitors and have become jaded because no one in the industry will seem to adopt sensible standards. I guess, that I didn't know that there are now true 16:9 monitors available. The Asus monitor that I bought came with a different type of DVI port than the computer, so I used the VGA. Why are there different DVI types? Argh.

The specs on monitors tend to only state the max supported or "native" resolution. I've been using a Dell 24" monitor for 5 years now with a native res of 1920 x 1200. I have to keep it at this resolution, because I get a pixelated, stretched, or fuzzy image at any other 1.6:1 resolution. I'm glad that new monitors are true 1.77:1 (16:9) instead of the dumb 1.6:1 "widescreens". I don't even want to mention the trouble I've had with laptops and projectors. Sorry. I don't mean to rant, but standards are there for a reason.

My main concern was running both screens at once, and thankfully, I think the GT420 will do the job well. I just don't have time to do all the research anymore, and get tired of all the forum posts stating that I need the latest and greatest. I like to read full specs, not the diluted info most retailers advertise.

Again, thank you for the help and the sensible advice.

That Core i5-2300 CPU and GT 420 graphics should do well.
I think it's a pretty good combo for business applications and will handle any type of HD video (DVDs, NetFlix) just fine.

That LogicBuy website will come in handy when shopping for new hardware.

You don't need that much 'jam' -- especially for displaying simple 2D content, even across multiple monitors. You simply configure your monitors to their native resolutions within the Windows display properties and off you go.

Also -- Current 'on-board' IGPs in video play-back provide the hardware acceleration necessary to substantially reduce cpu utilization and push multiple monitors. Last time I checked Netflix streamed VC-1 at 6 Mbp/s max. Even the AMD 'Bobcat' can handle that with C&Q enabled, with the CPU at an effective 400MHz or less, because of the on-board graphics acceleration.

Here is an Acer Aspire i3 2100 for $429.

If you feel you must have discreet video here is Athlon II X2 250 with Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics for $455.

ender5860

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks wisecracker.

Although much of what you said zoomed right over my head, I see what you are saying. The new Core i-series can handle graphics by themselves. Aren't some of the i3s handicapped to not utilize all the cores or the graphics capabilities?

I see that these Aspires have a vga and an hdmi port. Are they capable of utilizing both at the same time? I ask the vendors this, but can never get a confident answer.

Yes they are.
If you happen to have a DVI and HDMI port you'd have to select just 1 of those.
But you can use the analog VGA port and a digital port - DVI or HDMI - together.