DDR3-1333MHz runs at 400MHz

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hi everybody,

I've been browsing the forum a bit and tried some stuff out but in the end, my problem is not fixed.

So, let me start with the problem: When I run AMD system Monitor, I can see my System Memory Speed is
at 400MHz instead of 1333 MHz,
screenshot:
AmdSystemMonitor400mhzspeed.jpg

I've got an EX58-UD3R motherboard and i7-920 processor.

Some CPU-Z info can be found in the next screenshot:
CPU-Z_ET6.jpg

I've updated my bios and switched some values around but the speed doesnt change in AMD system monitor.

So, my question: Any one has an idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Well, I know the 'real' speed isnt 1333 mhz, but i got friends with the same computer as me and when they run amd system monitor, they got a system memory speed of 1333 and I can give you an example why i thought something was wrong with my memory/pc: I used to play a game named Heroes of Newerth (HoN) and when I and me friends enter the game, load the game and then requeue, so reload the game, for me the loading time is about 3x as long.

So, in my opinion, something is wrong.

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Well, i've had it on 1333mhz before and in system monitor it was 400 Mhz, that's why i've changed my RAM to 1200mhz, to see if it changed, but it stays @ 400, i've done a memtest86 for 6 hours and indeed, nothing is wrong with it. But I just found it strange that my loading times from the cash was so slow and that AMD system monitor says 400mhz and 1333 with others. Oh and maybe this indicates a problem too, when i start SIW and go to memory, it says Wrong values reported by BIOS. I've searched that up, and yes, the awnser is, look at CPU-Z, that should be correct.
But still, i have a feeling my ram is slowing my pc down.

But I want to thank you for the replies already!

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
This is what i did: i've removed 1 stick, so i had 2 sticks in dual mode, the reading was 400Mhz, removed an other stick, so only had 1 stick, reading was 400 again.
Then I removed 2 of my fathers sticks and replaced it with my memory, with his ram in my computer, i had a correct reading.
Then I put my RAM in his computer, he has a correct reading too. But when i put my ram in my computer, i goes to 400 again :/ it's strange.
I was stupid not to test the game 'HoN' to see cash loading difference but i will do this wednesday since I have no time tomorrow.

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Yes, HWinfo reported dual channel and a clock of 667 (x2) BUT today, I did find something.
mem400mhz.jpg

Here you can see my Memory speed is at 400Mhz,
If you look at your settings, i dont think it will be 400.

I doubt cleaning them would help, Hmmm, have you updated your Bios to the latest revision?

As for your query about the ram slowing your pc down, nope not a bit. changing from DDR3 800Mhz to DDR3 2133 is only a change of say 5 nano seconds.

I'm still using DDR2 800 Mhz simply because I had it on hand and wanted to save 50 bucks.

The only real reason I personally would upgrade to DDR3 is if I needed more ram or was building an entirely new system.

Hope that helps a bit.

O saw a benchmark that stated a change from 800 to top end 2100 was a frame difference of less then 1fps (which of course can be simply benchmark fluctuations)

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if you look at the picture of cpu-z on the post your refresh cycle time (tRFC) is never the same try to it manual to 34 as suggested in cpu-z and hwinfo then report the first page of hwinfo and then the cp-z memory page

Pierlowie

Honorable
May 6, 2012
@ The Unknown: I've cleared CMOS, cleaned RAM's and loaded optimized settings, still 400 MHz

@ Mouse 24: I've updated BIOS to latest version I can update since the last one says file to big. And I was searching a reason why my loading times of the game HoN is so much slower then others with alot less good computers. But seems like RAM has little to do with this (eventho the data is saved and loaded from the cash?)

@ scout_03: Tomorrow I will manual put the tRFC to 34 and report the first page of hwinfo and cpu-z memory page

Thanks for the help!