Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire setup running both 16x and 8x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2011 5:27:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some help with a crossfire issue im having. I have just built a new PC, specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.8GHz OC'd
EVGA X58 SLI 3
2 x ASUS 6870 Direct CU edition
6 GB Triple Channel Team X-treme ram (1600)
OCZ Vertex II SSD
LATEST CATALYST Drivers
Win 7 x64 Ultimate

The problem i am having is that in the Catalyst Control Center and GPU-z the first card is Running at 16x and the second at 8x. At first i didnt think anything of it but i noticed performance in games like TDU2 and Crysis 2 wasnt as good as it should be so i disabled CF and performance shot up drastically.

But when i ran the Heaven benchmark my score more than doubled with CF enabled.

Any ideas why this is?

Is is just an application profile issue? (latest installed as well)

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 15, 2011 7:09:27 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
There is nothing wrong with the setup.
The board has 1 PCI-E x16 slot along with 2 PCI-E x8 slots
http://www.evga.com/articles/00571/
But you should still get much higher scores with 6870's compared to 1.
Are you 100% sure that Crossfire is enabled ?
Download GPU-Z and run a game and play for 5-10 minutes.Then minimize it(don't close at all) and check the sensor's tab in GPU-Z and check if any of the cards has low usage.
March 19, 2011 8:56:36 PM

I had the same problem until I realized it wasn't a problem. Gpu-z is great for this. I ran Gpu-z. I went to the tab called sensors and I then selected Gpu 2. On the Gpu core clock,Gpu memory clock and ,what the hell, the cpu temperature I used the drop down arrow to select it to show me the max it's reached. I then ran a game and had Show CrossfireX Logo enabled. I ran a game that had CrossfireX logo on it for 5 minutes. When I exited it showed that my Gpus had gone up to 725mhz and memory up to 1000mhz. I then repeated that for my other 2 gpus and found that everything was fine.

Apparently being in a game and then jumping out while running the game to see the core clocks doesn't work. Gpu1 will keep the game going and it's core at 725mhz while the other gpus go into idle mode.

I hope this helps you guys.

Intel QX9770 @ 3.4Ghz oc'd
Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
2 X HD 5970 in Crossfire
4 Gb Corsair 2000mhz at 1600mhz
Catalyst 11.2
Win 7 x64 Ultimate
!