Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build - Problems

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2011 7:23:04 PM

The Problem:
This computer is lagging at random. The lag makes anything (windows desktop or in game) choppy. The mouse will start jumping around like crazy. I noticed on the CPU meter that i jump from 4% to up to 30-40% CPU at random. Almost like its randomly spiking.

I have built several i7 platforms now and haven't even seen these things come close to lagging out.

This computer was the most expensive of them all so far and this is driving me nuts. This is also a computer I built for a friend and I feel awful that he is having these problems.

The bios setting are default and i'm not running any overclocking (at least that I know of)

Any suggestions?

Computer Build:
- ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
- (2 Video cards - SLI setup) EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
- (Primary Drive) Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- (Storage Drive) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
- ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter

Case:
- COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Other:
- RAZER DeathAdder Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Precision Optical Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared Senso
- Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting Gaming Keyboard

More about : build problems

Best solution

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2011 9:15:39 PM

Clear the BIOS using the procedure in the motherboard manual.

Strip everything down to a bare bootable configuration.

Remove one video card, 1/2 of the RAM, both optical drives, and the wireless adapter. Replace the keyboard and mouse with generic parts. Then see what happens.

I suspect that the system will work normally. Then gradually add components, testing after each step.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2011 9:32:03 PM

My one friend had a nearly identical setup that would do the same thing. I can check to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it ended up being his memory. Try running just a single stick and see if that helps...
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2011 10:19:35 PM

Thanks guys. I will try all of the above in a day or two. Cant get back to that computer at the moment. I will keep you posted when I get to test it again.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2011 1:11:18 AM

You can also download Linux (try Linux Mint) to a CD and boot from that without installing it. See if it does it in Linux. If not, it's a software problem.
m
l
May 28, 2011 1:10:55 AM

You guys are not going to believe this...
I started removing the parts (memory,video card, etc) one by one and the problem was still there. finally I remove the wireless adapter for the hell of it and the problem goes away. I don't understand how that wireless card could have caused all of that. I just did not believe it, so I ran the computer fine for a bit and decided to put the card back in. This time I put it in a x16 slot and it seemed to work fine. Then I had problems connecting to the Internet and out of no where the lagging problem came back. So I removed the wireless card again and the computer started running like a dream again.

Now that the computer is running smooth -- load up a few games and the whole computer shuts down after a few mins of play. So, I figure its overheating. So I install a second display to monitor the temp while I'm in game. The CPU was running fine at cool at 40C when it crashed several times.

I noticed that the bios was flaging the case fan speeds RED. It did not seem to like the RPM speeds, lol. So I turn off the system fan speed monitor and the system stoped crashing...

Now everything is running tip-top. No overheating, no crashing...

Wow, that was days of BS... lol

Thanks for all your help guys!
m
l
May 28, 2011 1:20:17 AM

Best answer selected by gibbors.
m
l
!