Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer turns on, then off then boots normally

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2011 7:26:29 PM

ok so whenever i turn on my computer it does a strange "ritual"
i push the power switch, all fans, LED's and Hardware turn on... then it turns OFF, after 1-2 seconds, it boots normally...

does anyone know why it does this?

Windows 7 64bit
Intel core i7 950 @ 3.06
8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) @ 1333mhz 1.5v
1tb HD Black caviar
Evga X58 Sli3 motherboard
Evga Gtx 560ti SC
Raidmax 630w modular PSU
:pt1cable: 
i ran Memtest on both Dimms and turned out no error...

could it be my motherboard? or PSU?

i appreciate the hep guys...:) 

More about : computer turns boots

May 24, 2011 7:50:53 PM

It sounds like something isn't getting enough power when you start booting. I haven't experienced this before, but I would guess either motherboard (capacitors taking a while to charge possibly?) or PSU (not delivering juice fast enough?).

The first thing I'd do to help isolate the problem is this:
1. Unplug the PC
2. Hold the power button for ~10 seconds
3. Plug the PC back in
4. Wait 30 seconds
5. Press the power button

If that solves your issue altogether, then I'd blame the mobo (but at that point, do you care?). If it solves your issue but only for a little while, I'd say it's inconclusive, as it could be either of the original options. If it doesn't solve your problem, then we're no better off than before testing.

If you have access a spare PSU, I'd obviously recommend trying that out too.

Good luck!
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2011 9:09:40 PM

Apparently, your system does not like some of the BIOS settings. It sounds like your system tries to boot and finds a BIOS setting that it doesn't like. So it shuts down, finds a bootable BIOS setting, and successfully reboots.

Try restoring the BIOS to factory defaults. If that doesn't work, try manually setting RAM parameters.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2011 12:28:01 AM

Pull out your CMOS battery. Let it sit for about a minute. Replace it.

You'll have to reset all your BIOS settings after that, but that's the very first thing I always do when I have boot problems. Actually, I have a reset button to make things easier, but that's beside the point... Just try resetting your BIOS/CMOS and see if it does anything.

EDIT:
I just realized what jsc said, and that this is basically do the first half of it - reset it to the factory defaults. Sorry about that...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2011 12:37:57 AM

If clearing the CMOS memory does not cure the problem then I would suspect the power supply to be the cause of the double boot.
m
l
May 25, 2011 5:56:57 AM

ok guys, i tried the solutions u gave me..
1.kanenfawder's procedure didnt work...
2.jsc's procedure didnt work either...
3. so did someguynamedmatt & pjmelect's solution...
so im guessing its the PSU?

and one more thing, my computer freezes randomly... when opening multiple applications be it games, youtube, or communication software...
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:12:28 AM

Have you flashed to the latest BIOS version? I have an EVGA SLI board that did this but a bios flash fixed it. I cant understand why any bios would do this unless it was just a glitch. Seems like it would reek havoc on the psu after a while.
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:13:31 AM

kris0824 said:
ok so whenever i turn on my computer it does a strange "ritual"
i push the power switch, all fans, LED's and Hardware turn on... then it turns OFF, after 1-2 seconds, it boots normally...

does anyone know why it does this?

Windows 7 64bit
Intel core i7 950 @ 3.06
8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) @ 1333mhz 1.5v
1tb HD Black caviar
Evga X58 Sli3 motherboard
Evga Gtx 560ti SC
Raidmax 630w modular PSU
:pt1cable: 
i ran Memtest on both Dimms and turned out no error...

could it be my motherboard? or PSU?

i appreciate the hep guys...:) 

m
l
May 25, 2011 7:05:01 AM

hey danklin, would that void my warranty? cuz incase i need to RMA my board...
m
l
May 25, 2011 8:47:36 AM

ok, did a bios update... still boots twice :(  yet to find out if it will still freeze..
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2011 9:18:52 AM

false start - ABSOLUTLY NORMAL (if its what im thinking), started around the ~965 series intel chipsets onward, my sandybridge build does it, as did my P35/Q6600 build, and as my E6600/965 rig

connect the power - nothing
press the power button - half a second delay, powers up ~2 seconds but no beep/post, cuts out, ~2 seconds later starts up as normal

this is normal
May 26, 2011 6:06:37 PM

Best answer selected by kris0824.
m
l
May 26, 2011 6:07:26 PM

didnt freeze on me for 1 whole day and ran all the applications that would normally give me a hard freeze..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 7:59:43 AM

may i ask why the dual channel memory in a tri-channel capable setup?

corsair memory, raise the voltage of it and manually set the timings if your having issues still

confirm by running prime for atleast a few hours

also psu brand isnt the best
m
l
May 27, 2011 9:17:40 AM

Will be getting a 3rd stick soon.. I haven't set the timing manually yet but I have set voltage to 1.6v @ 1333mhz.. unfortunately it froze on me again today.. ill b getting a new corsair psu by Saturday and see if its my mobo that's bad..
m
l
!