P8Z68-V/ GEN3 problem here also, new build

Jokermark

Honorable
May 6, 2012
New build, Ivy Bridge, two sticks of Corsair Vengence, the 1600C9 model.
1000 watt psu.

On power up, I get the CPU light, then the memory, then shut down and repeat.
On 3 occasions it made it through and got video and got to setup. When I would power down! back to the same. It saw all the memory, CPU, and I had no other devices plugged in. Thought it was the psu so I replaced. After two attempts it got me to the setup, now back to the same. I pulled the memory out and it does not reset and sits there with the mem ok light on. Any ideas?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
if you don't put memory .... did the system beeping or not? if not check you CPU sitting..and waht brand 1000W PS you use.... did you connect or the power cnnection 24 pin + 2x4 pin...

Jokermark

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Yes it beeps when the memory is out, just a few moments ago it did get to the setup, I was changing the system time and it locked up, restarting again as we speak. Ps is a ocz

Niels87

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hey Jokermark, I just build almost the same set as you, same Mobo and a new ivy bridge i7 with corsair vengeance memory and I have the exact same problem. I start up, the CPU light goes on, then the memory, then CPU and memory again and then it shuts off and repeats itself. I also didn't got any video or anything. And also didn't find out what the problem is. If you do, please let me know, and good luck to you!

renewabill

Honorable
May 9, 2012

You are not alone Jokermark! Although I've never made it through to video. Here is my (edited) post from the Asus Forum about this problem...
"I am working on a new build and came across a problem. This MoBo says it supports Ivy Bridge but apparently only after a BIOS update. I have the P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 board with 0402 bios and the new i7-3770K Ivy Bridge cpu. System will not function with these components as Ivy support begins in the later 3202 bios. With one stick of Corsair (Vengeance) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 in the DIMM_A2 slot, system starts, stops, and restarts with no beeps. With no RAM installed, the system will run but I get one long, then two short beeps. I suspect the CPU and MOBO can't communicate due to the BIOS incompatabilty. Is there a way to update the BIOS without the CPU installed?"

Any ideas?

Jokermark

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Some success, I let it run through the resets, about 9 or 10 times and it finally got to the bios.I was ready and updated it and that took care of the resets. More problems after that, everything was good until I tried to install windows 7.
It would crash right after the starting windows screen, it would either restart or bsod. Then it got worse. I would get to the bios and it started locking up randomly while moving the mouse. I tried everything I could find on here. I called Asus last night and the tech said to return the board, I have another coming this weekend. I will let you all know what happens when I get the new board.

renewabill

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Good luck to you when you get your new board...look for the long strip label on the board that has a bar code. At the bottom right of the label the four numbers there tells the bios version from the factory. Mine said 0402, so you'll want yours to say 0301 or later as there are now versions 0302 and 0304. It is important to know that, according to the Asus website for this board, the minimum BIOS version to support the Ivy Bridge processor (designated with the #3 as in i7-3770, as opposed to Sandy Bridge's #2 as in i7-2550) is 3202, not 3201.

It sounds like we're going in the same direction. After they suggested I swap out the processor in order to flash the BIOS, I sent this to Asus:

"Since, presumably, my BIOS 0402 cannot function with the i7-3770K processor, and I do not have another earlier processor laying around that will fit this board, is it possible to flash update the bios to the mainboard without any processor installed?
If yes, how?
If no, can you provide a physical BIOS chip (if this an appropriate solution) to update the motherboard?
Or, will you agree to exchange my motherboard with another (same model) that has the appropriate BIOS?"

I'll post their answer, but I hope they just give me a new MoBo with the correct bios!

renewabill

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Niels87,

Me too!!!!

Niels87

Honorable
May 9, 2012

The number on my board says 0301, so it's also not compatible with the ivy bridge. Tomorrow I will go to a computer store and ask them if they can put in an older CPU and update my motherboard for me, because I can't do it myself since I don't have an older CPU lying around. Hopefully this will fix the problem. If so I will let you guys know.

mgwash

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I'm also having this problem - I talked to Asus and they said that the only other way to update the BIOS than to flash it with a working processor is to mail you a new chip. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound appealing and I'm suspecting there's quite a wait associated with it also. A friend of mine is going to try to flash the BIOS this week with a borrowed processor. I hope it works!

renewabill

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Niels87,
That is a great idea to go to a computer store to have them flash for you! Good thinking! I'll call mine today and I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully this will solve our problems...

Fisko53

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Just as a quickie, its not just Asus boards that have this problem.
Gigabyte have the same problem, I have 2 boards here a H61 and a H67, BIOS updated with the latest to supposedly work with Ivy Bridge. I found with a pair of memory chips in I get the post and restart ect ect. With 1 stick of ram it does work. Supposed to delivering this system this evening, thats not going to happen!!

G

Niels87

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Okay, so I brought my mobo to a computer store, they updated my BIOS and it fixed the problem. I haven't installed Windows yet, although I put in the disc and it nicely went to the install screen so i'm not suspecting any problems. But i'll let you know when my PC is fully up and running. But so far it seems our problem was the BIOS version.

Good luck to you all, and have a good night! (because is 11 pm here in the Netherlands)

renewabill

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Well, I'm a dummy!
I called Asus support (after all those chats with a tech) and I was told to make sure I have the correct processor version! It turns out I've been working with a i7-3770K - 95W version, which is not supported! The Asus website shows CPU support only for the "Core i7-3770K (3.5G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,77W,rev.E1)" version. I was told that my 95W will not work, ever, because of 'stepping' issues.
Apparently I'm only smart enough to get myself in trouble...
Please tell me which processor wattage you have, 95W or 77W?

Okay, that just seems wrong... with two different wattages I would expect some kind of differentiation other than (what I can only explain as) a footnote after HT. So now we must contend with what could have been an easily avoidable hardware issue (which is bound to repeat itself often I fear) due to what? Intel's laziness? "Oh just call them all 3770k... it's all IB" why not call the 95W job a 3775k or 3770kh or anything that could actually help the consumer?

G

Quick post to everyone here having the same issue, i have the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo and was having the same issue with my i5-3570k CPU. This is my first build so i dont have any older parts and didn't feel like bringing it to PC repair shop. A week later i finally found it was incompatibility issues with Ivy Bridge (after thinking it was power supply or mobo messing up) since my mobo was running on 0301. Here's what to do:

Head over to Asus support website here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V%20PRO/GEN3&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua

Download the 3202 rom and extract the file onto a FAT32 USB device

Don't put the USB device in the mobo just yet as it wouldn't let me reach the BIOS, only tell me that there's no OS. Once you do get to the BIOS (after a few failed boot i'm guessing) insert the USB Key (be extra careful not to fry anything since MOBO is running and go to:

Advance -> Tools -> EZ Flash Utility (or something like that)

It will install the update. I just did it and i got 5 successfull boots/resets in a row without any issue. It should be worth noting that i did it with a barebread setup, i only had Mobo, CPU, CPU Fan, GPU and Power supply while doing it.

Hope this helps a few people, this was an incredibly frustrating week, especially with Diablo 3 being released next week. I'll put everything in the case and install Windows, i'll update later if anything goes wrong or fine.

PS: Sorry for my english.

Jokermark

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Quick post to everyone here having the same issue, i have the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo and was having the same issue with my i5-3570k CPU. This is my first build so i dont have any older parts and didn't feel like bringing it to PC repair shop. A week later i finally found it was incompatibility issues with Ivy Bridge (after thinking it was power supply or mobo messing up) since my mobo was running on 0301. Here's what to do:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V%20PRO/GEN3&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua

Don't put the USB device in the mobo just yet as it wouldn't let me reach the BIOS, only tell me that there's no OS. Once you do get to the BIOS (after a few failed boot i'm guessing) insert the USB Key (be extra careful not to fry anything since MOBO is running and go to:

It will install the update. I just did it and i got 5 successfull boots/resets in a row without any issue. It should be worth noting that i did it with a barebread setup, i only had Mobo, CPU, CPU Fan, GPU and Power supply while doing it.

Hope this helps a few people, this was an incredibly frustrating week, especially with Diablo 3 being released next week. I'll put everything in the case and install Windows, i'll update later if anything goes wrong or fine.

I got the new mobo, same issue, went back to micro center and got a 2700k
They said a lot of them have been coming back, I'm running like a rocket now. I'll wait till later revisions for ivy bridge

AzureLightPKK

Honorable
May 12, 2012

I have the same issue, problem is that it wouldn't post...ever. It would just keep resetting.

Niels87

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Okay, so one problem is solved and immediately another one rises. First off, my CPU works fine now as far as I can tell. But now it seems my PCIe slots 1 and 2 both don't work. I tried to get image through my new videocard and nothing showed up. But it does when I connect my monitor to my mobo itself. I then tried another (good working) videocard in the same slot and it also didn't work. Then I tried the new videocard in an older PC and there it did work. It seems other people aswell are having problems with PCIe slots not recognizing their videocards. I am beginning to doubt this motherboard very badly...

Edit: It appears that my 2 top PCIe slots are broken, they don't recognize my videocard but the bottom slot does. But I can't use that one since my PSU is in the way. So I guess I'll have to return the mobo or something.

Xzavier

Honorable
May 14, 2012

According to Intel, that's not an issue. The 95W isn't an actual version - Intel has confirmed that it was just an erroneous label. According to Intel, all 1155 Ivy Bridges that are sold in retail are 77W and stepping E1, no matter what the label says. The 95W label was there for a few batches because Intel requires motherboard manufacturers to design for 95W to be compatible with both Sandy and Ivy. If that's right, ASUS Support is wrong.

Xzavier

Honorable
May 14, 2012

According to Intel, it IS wrong, and the 95W thing is just a typo. So ASUS Support might be in the wrong here, seeing as Intel says all retail IBs are 77W and thus should work with the Z68 boards given the right BIOS.