Nintendo DS: Official Name & Design

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=2847

GCA FIRST: Nintendo has released the official name and somewhat redesigned
hardware for their upcoming handheld system.

Today, Nintendo has formally announced the official name of their next
handheld, and "third pillar". First there was the Nintendo DS, then we found
out about the name the "Nitro". Then it was back to the DS again.

Contrary to all the past confusions, Nintendo has officially gone on record
to say that the new system's name will be the Nintendo DS. The name was
chosen because it represents the product as "dual-screen" so natively. Even
better, the system relates directly with its development studios, being
touted as a "developer system".

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru
Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a
touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition --
these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will
benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the
world of video games."

The hardware announcements that came may also come to make people happy:

Redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look

Features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover

Face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been
reconfigured for optimum use

Includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus

The speakers now broadcast in stereo sound with or without headphones

Nintendo also announced that the developer support list for the DS is now
100 software companies strong. There are over 120 titles currently in
development, with at least 20 of them coming from Nintendo themselves.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the
chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as
well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president
of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes portable
game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and
once again we're prepared to win."

The launch date, launch price, and launch game line-up are still to be
announced at a later date.

The new official images of the logo and hardware can be seen HERE.

GCA will bring you more as we hear it!
source: Nintendo - Press Release

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Give me a break with this "news".
The name was given months ago.
In related news, Nintendo has decided to call its Gameboy Advance SP, wait
for it... GameBoy Advance SP.

"Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=2847
>
> GCA FIRST: Nintendo has released the official name and somewhat redesigned
> hardware for their upcoming handheld system.
>
> Today, Nintendo has formally announced the official name of their next
> handheld, and "third pillar". First there was the Nintendo DS, then we
> found
> out about the name the "Nitro". Then it was back to the DS again.
>
> Contrary to all the past confusions, Nintendo has officially gone on
> record
> to say that the new system's name will be the Nintendo DS. The name was
> chosen because it represents the product as "dual-screen" so natively.
> Even
> better, the system relates directly with its development studios, being
> touted as a "developer system".
>
> "The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru
> Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a
> touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition --
> these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will
> benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the
> world of video games."
>
> The hardware announcements that came may also come to make people happy:
>

> Redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look
>
> Features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover
>

> Face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been
> reconfigured for optimum use
>

> Includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus
>

> The speakers now broadcast in stereo sound with or without headphones
>
> Nintendo also announced that the developer support list for the DS is now
> 100 software companies strong. There are over 120 titles currently in
> development, with at least 20 of them coming from Nintendo themselves.
>
> "The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while
> the
> chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device
> as
> well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice
> president
> of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes
> portable
> game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and
> once again we're prepared to win."
>
> The launch date, launch price, and launch game line-up are still to be
> announced at a later date.
>
> The new official images of the logo and hardware can be seen HERE.
>
> GCA will bring you more as we hear it!
> source: Nintendo - Press Release

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Let it be known that on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:34:55 -0400, "Zimmy"
<zimmy@msn.com> wrote:

>Give me a break with this "news".
>The name was given months ago.
>In related news, Nintendo has decided to call its Gameboy Advance SP, wait
>for it... GameBoy Advance SP.

Well, if you would have read the news months ago, you would have known that DS
was never the official title. That is until today Nintendo said that DS will
in fact be the title.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

*Roll eyes*

crossbone <crossbone@crossbone.com> banged on the keyboard long enough
to hammer out news:catgg0t5o62a9sv46597t8973vnmqv76pf@4ax.com:

> Let it be known that on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:34:55 -0400, "Zimmy"
> <zimmy@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>Give me a break with this "news".
>>The name was given months ago.
>>In related news, Nintendo has decided to call its Gameboy Advance SP,
>>wait for it... GameBoy Advance SP.
>
> Well, if you would have read the news months ago, you would have known
> that DS was never the official title. That is until today Nintendo
> said that DS will in fact be the title.

Quiet. He's still playing on his Ultra 64 and Dolphin.

TRENDING THREADS