Solved

Need Advice on Budget Gaming PC Build

Approximate Purchase Date: within 2 weeks

Budget Range: Under $800 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Light work, Light video, etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard drive, DVD-RW, and monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg tigerdirect amazon. Pretty open to other good sites.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Considering Intel because I'd like to have a viable build for ~4 years. However, if we can build something that would be good for ~2 years, then maybe AMD.

Overclocking: Maybe - probably not initially, but down the road I might.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - Not initially. Perhaps. I currently have a 9800 card that is SLI ready that I could salvage, but I was considering purchasing a 450 (see below) for future SLI.

Monitor Resolution: widescreen resolutions 1200 and above.

Additional Comments: I'd like to be running Starcraft 2 at high settings. Also, I'm confident that when the next Elder Scrolls game releases, I'll be getting into that. I know that building for 4 years out is difficult to do, but longevity is something that I want to keep in mind.

Here's the setup I'm looking at:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67

MSI N450GTS CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

Any advice, tips, suggestions, or snide remarks are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice budget gaming build
  1. Here's V2 of that PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650%20v2

Just a heads up, you won't be able to overclock that i5, you need a K series for that.

When you say 1200 you mean 1920x1200 correct? For that, I'd get a little more GPU power - a 6850 maybe?
  2. Thanks for the psu link.

Hmm. I've never overclocked before, but I imagine the option would be good down the road. Do you think it's worth it to setup for overclocking or do you feel that the cost/benefit isn't there.

Yes regarding the resolution. The 6850 sounds good, and please forgive my ignorance, I've read the SLI/Crossfire guide, but want to be sure I understand correctly. Does crossfire link cards the same way SLI does? Do you think the 6850 is a better way to go than to pick up another 9800 and SLI those cards?

Thanks for all your help.
  3. Best answer
    Overclocking can be worth it and it can not be. It's always good as a learning experience, but I feel if you are going to spend an extra ~30 on the CPU and ~$30 more on a HSF just for a minimal overclock, it's not a good value. On the other hand, most of my machines are overclocked.

I would get a new GPU. Yes, Crossfire is pretty much an exact equivalent of SLI.
  4. Best answer selected by TheVolcanoKid.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product