Sign in with
Your question

Plz help - Asus Z68 deluxe wont boot/post (not even q-code led)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 7, 2012 1:51:09 AM

Hey all
before il start describing the prob there is the specs:

Asus z68 deluxe gen3 rev1 (latest bios 0302)
i7-2600K (no oc) + Noctua HSF
G-Skill sniper 4GBx2 1600MHZ CL9
Sapphire Pure 1250W
Gainward GTX460

the thing is my system wont boot, there is no beeps, no q-code led, no post and nothing on screen (it was running for half a year now, very important to note). the fans are working on the hsf/case/fpu and the southbridge have light. the gpu and the cpu both ran with good temps all the time and no oc. also it is good to mention that the cpu POST state led is lit witch may indicating an error with the cpu but i dont have another cpu to check whater its board is the problem or the cpu

here is what iv tried:
first iv removed everything and took the board out of the case
then iv cleared cmos (both by removing the battary and pressing the button the back of the board).
*replaced ram with another that iv got witch i know is good and also tried all positions
*replaced gpu also
*took the hsf , reapplied thermal paste mx4 and reseated the cpu

whats next?
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2012 6:51:10 PM

Double and triple check the cpu pins. That is usually a big cause of the led light. Try unplugging the 8 pin cpu power connector and see if you get the same results. If you do maybe you can try one of the 6+2 pin graphics connectors or get a 6 to 8 pin adapter. Use it briefly to see if you get past the cpu led problem. If so it's a psu problem. If not it can just be the motherboard circuit has shorted. You can try this cpu socket tester - http://www.shopsintech.com/product_info.php?products_id... -

Replacing parts is usually the next step. RMA, I would start with the motherboard if the psu test doesn't work, or find someone who will let you use some of their parts to switch out with yours or visa versa. It's rarely the cpu, especially with no overclocking, but you never know.

And you need to give people time. You did all the quick response things so the rest will take some time.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2012 8:16:00 PM

hello man. iv bought a psu tester and psu is the problem. i took the board and the cpu to the store and they see that the board and cpu are both ok. does sapphire known to have probs with their psus?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 11:32:39 PM

I've never heard of their power supplies until I saw yours so I can' say but I thought it had something to do with power to the cpu. Did you already decide on which one to get? Look into a seasonic, they're one of the best.
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:52:28 AM

suteck said:
I've never heard of their power supplies until I saw yours so I can' say but I thought it had something to do with power to the cpu. Did you already decide on which one to get? Look into a seasonic, they're one of the best.

As of now still have warrenty for the psu so il send it and see if il get a new one (and if il do il want to sell it and get another one cause is not silent enoughe).

here are some of the ones i was thinking about:
XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650W (120 usd)
Seasonic X-650 (171 usd)
Seasonic M12II-620 (134 usd)
Antec HCG900 (174 usd)
Corsair AX850 (254 usd)
Enermax Modu87+ 700W (209 usd)
Seasonic M12D-850 (233 usd)
Enermax Modu 82+ 625Watt (168 usd)
Corsair TX750 V2 (168 usd)

suggestions?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 2:09:30 AM

XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650W (120 usd)
Seasonic X-650 (171 usd)
Seasonic M12II-620 (134 usd)
Antec HCG900 (174 usd)
Seasonic M12D-850 (233 usd)

I like these of the choices you gave. I don't like enermax and some of the Corsair models have been having issues. You should be fine with the Seasonic 620 unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking or adding a second video card. I do like the Seasonic 650 the best if money isn't an issue and my second choice would be the XFX - I've heard some good things about them.
m
l
!