Memtest 86 + errors found how to analyze?

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

I just ran Memtest 86 + from a usb for 1 hour and I found 128 errors, some on test #1, #3, #5 and #8. However I noticed all of them are almost on the same failing address it reads:

002d06axxxx - 11526.6 MB

The only thing that varied was the xxxx the other numbers were always the same, and often even the last 4 numbers repeated themselves. I have 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance of Memory installed, and I ran having all 16 GB.

I am no expert but it looks to me that if I have 16 gb, and it is always failing on 11526.6, does this mean that for sure the faulty RAM is in Slot # 3?. Also I don't think it is the CPU since if it was the CPU it wouldn't always be almost the same address, is that a correct assumption?.

I also read that I should run memtest 86 + with only one stick of RAM at a time. But my main concern is there a way to know for sure that the root cause of the problem is the RAM and not the Motherboard?. I am asking mainly because I have not experienced any BSOD of any kind, or instabilities, reboots, program crashes etc.

The only problem I had is while playing Starcraft 2, I got a corrupted files error twice after closing the game, and also once I saw bad graphics on a map. I was also getting low fps for my System on SC 2. Once my computer also restarted by itself, before even booting. So I guess the cause of those was the RAM?.

My real concern is how to know if the problem is really RAM, or the CPU or the Motherboard. I can run Prime 95 just fine although I only ran it for 1:30 hours, my Ram is supported by my motherboard and I have not OC'ed or modified timings, furthermore in BIOS the Voltage and timings are correct.

What other tests should I run?.

My system is:

Saphire HD 7850 OC (at default OC)
i5 2500k (turbo enabled, i.e. 3.7 ghz while gaming)
16 GB Corsair Vegeance @ 1333 (but can activate XPS for 1600 but would this really help at all?)
Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen 3 Motherboard
Blue Caviar WD 500 GB
Seasonic Semi Modular 620 W PSU

Thank you,

Oscar

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Hi Scout,

Thank you for your answer I will do that, I am not sure what you mean my board uses dual?, is that the red/black slots, where the red one runs better?. I bought my memory all together so all 4 sticks would need a replacement in that event.

How can I be sure that it is the RAM and not he motherboard or CPU?. Also does the memory address tell me anything at all?, such as it has to be slot 3?.

Oscarmk

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Yes it is that one, just in CML. By you have to check from 1 to 4, do you mean test each ram individually all in slot #1, or is that test each ram each on each memory slot, so 16 tests total?. Also if it fails in any given test #, does that tell me anything at all?, I got most of the fails on test #8.