FPS Problems

mwcj09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Recently i have been getting very low Frames per second in-game and not sure why. I have changed and tinkered with every option to help maximize my fps but no luck. Im clueless to why my in-game fps went from 30-40 down to 4... Any information would be helpful, hoping to fix it before i decide to format everything and start fresh.

Computer referring to: Dell Latitude D520, 2GB Ram upgrade and 250GB DH upgrade, everything else is stock.

Solution
Burble56 is probably correct if nothing else changed - your laptop is too hot. Shut down the PC over night, power it up and let us know if that allows your games to run at full speed again.

Also those laptops had some issues with the video card thermal paste. Its possible that needs to be corrected.

burble56

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
what game is it?
It might be possible that your laptop overheated while playing the game :D
get a cooling pad on it and it'll work fine :D
btw you also might want to defrag your hardrive just to be safe.

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
yeah you need to check your cpu usage, if something is using up all your resources (virus/adware/malware) then thats a big reason for fps drop. Especially if it started out of nowhere.

Burble56 is probably correct if nothing else changed - your laptop is too hot. Shut down the PC over night, power it up and let us know if that allows your games to run at full speed again.

Also those laptops had some issues with the video card thermal paste. Its possible that needs to be corrected.

Solution

mwcj09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Its World Of Warcraft
I have a cooling pad because it does get hot.
I did defrag.

mwcj09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

I dont run nything in the background that i know of. I dont use virus protection programs because im never on the web and if im inline its to play wow. But because of that i might have malware that i dont know about causing my computer to run a lot slower.

mwcj09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Yeah i have had it shut down over night and tried first thing when it was cool, but it still did the same thing. This has been ongoing for 3 days now. But i did notice when i did a full restart and got back into the game i did have about 30fps for just a few moments before it fell back to 4fps. Which makes it even more strange because i know its capable of running at 40fps, besides its ran at 40 for the past few years.

I wouldn't know about the thermo paste on the chip, never wanted to mess with the laptop to that point.

mwcj09

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

I broke down my laptop today and redid the paste on the processor and cleaned out the heat-sync and that seemed to fix it. ty.