Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Another 5870 flickering issue -- but not one that I've found exactly replicated.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2011 11:36:30 PM

Well, the fan went out on my 4890 yesterday which seemed like a good time to upgrade to a dx11 card (anyone want to buy a perfectly fine 4890 with a bad fan? I'll even put a new one on before shipping :p ).

Anyway, I've got the screen flickering - but only on my second monitor. It does not happen when going from 2d to 3d clock speeds - happens when I'm scrolling through webpages on my main monitor or when they're loading (and thus mimic scrolling). If I continuously scroll there is a line that slowly scrolls down the screen that is basically a divider between good, normal display above the line and bad flickering display underneath. This gets to the bottom and then starts again at the top. Happens continuously during continuous scrolling.

This is the only time it happens. When I have a browser open on the second monitor and scroll they are both okay and flicker free. I'm using 11.2 right now, 11.1a did the same thing.

I've read plenty of forum posts but all of them seem to relate to the card jumping from 2d to 3d. That's not causing this.

Any brilliant insight would be much appreciated :D 
March 14, 2011 11:41:32 PM

UPDATE: Also flickers when a progress bar is updating (unraring a file and the progress bar causes it to do the same thing). So do animated ads in my browser.

UPDATE 2: Now it happens on my main monitor after closing Two Worlds. Just on the desktop. Nothing changed. Going crazy. Really hating this card. But not on the second monitor now.
Score
March 16, 2011 3:00:34 AM

tehsciz said:
Well, the fan went out on my 4890 yesterday which seemed like a good time to upgrade to a dx11 card (anyone want to buy a perfectly fine 4890 with a bad fan? I'll even put a new one on before shipping :p ).

Anyway, I've got the screen flickering - but only on my second monitor. It does not happen when going from 2d to 3d clock speeds - happens when I'm scrolling through webpages on my main monitor or when they're loading (and thus mimic scrolling). If I continuously scroll there is a line that slowly scrolls down the screen that is basically a divider between good, normal display above the line and bad flickering display underneath. This gets to the bottom and then starts again at the top. Happens continuously during continuous scrolling.

This is the only time it happens. When I have a browser open on the second monitor and scroll they are both okay and flicker free. I'm using 11.2 right now, 11.1a did the same thing.

I've read plenty of forum posts but all of them seem to relate to the card jumping from 2d to 3d. That's not causing this.

Any brilliant insight would be much appreciated :D 

what brand is the 4890? if it is XFX then i will buy it if the price is right. and you wont have to fix the fan either.
Score
March 16, 2011 3:04:59 AM

dwisen said:
what brand is the 4890? if it is XFX then i will buy it if the price is right. and you wont have to fix the fan either.

Nope, HIS unfortunately so no lifetime warranty.
Score
March 16, 2011 3:30:18 AM

tehsciz said:
Nope, HIS unfortunately so no lifetime warranty.

how much would you sell it for with the fan still broken?
Score
March 18, 2011 3:13:34 AM

dwisen said:
how much would you sell it for with the fan still broken?

$75.
Score
March 18, 2011 3:25:25 AM

I have a i-inc iF281D running at 1920x1200/60hz. A Samsung SuncMaster 175v at 1280x1064/60hz. And just recently changed out the Samsung with my tv, LG 47lh90, 240hz (but due to frame doublingx2 it's still 60hz..I think?). Anyway, it's still just as bad with the TV. Restarting doesn't help. Different drivers don't help.

Can't play Portal at all. Which is sad. Tears systematically from the top to the bottom in a line. I can make a video if it will help.
Score
a c 129 C Monitor
March 18, 2011 4:32:01 AM

I've had a similar issue, that also cause my clocks to get stuck at different clocks than idle or full 3d mode. This only happened to me when using Internet Explorer. It turned out that any time I viewed a flash video, it flickered and change my clocks until I closed the page.

To remedy this issue, I started using Mozilla firefox.
Score
March 18, 2011 4:35:37 AM

It's not my browser, I use chrome and have also tried Firefox but. Regardless, it happena np matter what I'm doing other than sitting idle at desktop (and if anything is happening it does it). Out happens regardless if what my clock speed is, too. Again I can make a video if necessary of my clock speed staying constant and it flickering horribly while I scroll through webpages on my other monitor.
Score
a c 129 C Monitor
March 18, 2011 1:10:34 PM

tehsciz said:
It's not my browser, I use chrome and have also tried Firefox but. Regardless, it happena np matter what I'm doing other than sitting idle at desktop (and if anything is happening it does it). Out happens regardless if what my clock speed is, too. Again I can make a video if necessary of my clock speed staying constant and it flickering horribly while I scroll through webpages on my other monitor.

When at the desktop, what is the clock speed it's running at? It shouldn't idle as low as a single monitor setup does.
Score
March 18, 2011 3:56:14 PM

When it's at the desktop it throttles down to 157/300 but flickers while those speeds remain constant, or if I open something like furmark to keep it at 850/1200 it still does it.

I'm confused because it only happens on one monitor at a time and, generally, only when I'm scrolling through webpages or something like a status bar is updating.
Score

Best solution

a c 129 C Monitor
March 18, 2011 4:49:36 PM

Ah, I'd recommend doing a fresh install of drivers while both monitors are plugged in. When using dual monitors, the memory cannot throttle down to 300 or it causes problems on the 2nd monitor (and ya, sometimes it will read one or the other has the 2nd monitor).

I've had this issue before with old drivers when OCing.

When in dual monitor mode, your clocks should be something closer to 400/1200 when idling. But don't be alarmed by your higher idle temperatures, it's just a draw back to having 2 monitors.
March 18, 2011 4:58:30 PM

Ah, excellent. Thanks for the advice! Referenced and made a profile like he suggests (I set mine to keep the memory at 1200 all the time and minimum 300 for the core) and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Which is glorious. And mine is a non-ref Gigabyte with an inclined fan (which sounded really gimmicky on the box but I don't break 55C under full load). So temps aren't a problem at all. But I seem to be in good shape now, thank you everyone :D 

To recap, if anyone has this problem in the future, it's the memory clock speed. Make a custom profile to keep it from throttling. This is on Catalyst 11.2.

<3
Score
March 18, 2011 4:58:43 PM

Best answer selected by tehsciz.
Score
a b C Monitor
March 18, 2011 5:19:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!