Newly built computer won't post

Justsomename

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
hello everyone,

I just put together a computer and when I put it together and tried to turn it on for the first time, the computer won't post. The computer will stay on, it just runs for 5 seconds, without anything on screen, and then recycles itself, over and over again. I also notice the MEMOK button on the mobo is flashing red as well during the 5 seconds or so the computer remains on for.

I tried two speeds of ram, 1333 & 1866, 2x4, in different slots, also tried one stick at a time, but still getting that same problem.

I've also tried reapplying the thermal paste, thinking it may be a bit too thick, but still the same problem.

I tried unplugging everything off of the motherboard, except the CPU and the RAM, and I still get the same problem.

I finally un-seated the RAM, and ran only mobo+CPU, and it was able to remain on for longer than 5 seconds.

I also tried un-seatingt he RAM and keeping everything else plugged in and it was also able to remain on for longer than 5 seconds.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 Rev 3.0 LGA 1155
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB GDDR5 PCie 2.0
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750W
HDD: Western Digital 750GB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Mid Tower

I've tried researching on this mobo and this ram problem, but i haven't seen much about a problem like this. Would this be considered a common problem for this motherboard or something?

Any suggestions? I'm very frustrated at this point and D3 comes out in less than 9 days! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
for one thing although the P67 chipset does support ivy bridge. It's suppose to need a BIOS update in order to do that. Do you know if your motherboard has the latest update?

Just curious why didnt you get a z77 board?

Also did you install the motherboard stand offs?

I didn't even notice his CPU choice. I hope he's not stuck in a chicken and egg situation.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I am also a little surprised that the user did not choose the z77 mobo.

Asus released a firmware upgrade for this motherboard to support i5 3570K

The new firmware upgrade is available from this link.

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/#CPUS

If I am not wrong, the firmware upgrade has got to be done through the Sandy Bridge Processor before ditching it for the Ivy Bridge. This is valid in the case of series 6 motherboards. Is his' a series 6 mobo? I am a little concerned that he might not be able to upgrade the firmware with an IB CPU. See this Tom's link.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,review-32428-8.html

Justsomename

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I initially bought the Sabertooth P67 in early april with all the intentions of putting a 2500K in it, but ended up lagging on getting the cpu. When I finally got around to getting the cpu (last week), I saw that ivy bridge came out, and at just a $10 premium over the sandy bridge, decided in getting that instead.

I also confirmed that the mobo's BIOS is version 2302 and the BIOS version that enabled ivy bridge support was 2001, 2 versions before.

I also looked up ASUS's vendor compatibility list and saw that the DDR3-1333 RAM I used was actually one listed on their site, so nevertheless, it is now obviously a hardware issue with the mobo, I've sent the request for an RMA from ASUS and got a reply in less than 8 hours. I'll be sending the board back to ASUS later today to get this RMA situation going.

Thanks for all the info, everyone!