How to format hard drive with windows 7 cd

presto68

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello,
I am doing a fresh install of Windows . I have done this before with XP, but the options are a little different on the Windows 7 DVD. What I am concerned about is the ability to format C Drive with a "Full Format" rather than a "Quick Format". The XP disk would give the user an option, but the Windows 7 dvd does not - it just has "Format" and appears to only do a quick format. How can I do a "Full Format" of C then install the Windows 7 on it?

G

Why do you think you need to do a "Full Format"? I've never had a problem with a Quick Format. If you really want a full format, try Darik's Boot and Nuke.

presto68

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thank you for the reply!

To answer your question - I have made it a habit of doing a full format do to an incident I came across once. I had a virus - reformatted the disk with a Quick format - reloaded the operating system and the virus survived. I then reformatted the disk with the Full Format option and the virus was gone. Now - maybe it was coincidence - maybe something else, but that is the reason why I have always done a full format - maybe unnecessary. In the end - I was expecting to have the option to do a full or quick from the Windows 7 DVD and still wondering if it can be done. I assume Dariks Boot and Nuke is a 3rd party software - I do not want to go down that path.

Thanks again.