Best 32 bit cpu

clarp

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I want to upgrade to a newer processor and W8 but don't like the need to run a virtual XP machine t0 get my old copy of autocad 2000 to run. I can install it and get it to run in W7 pro running an XP virtual machine on a Core-5 64 bit machine but, have to have two copies of antivirus and have to keep running updates for XP ect. I plan to build a 32 bit machine specifically to run this version of autocad because, a new copy costs about $2000 and I don't need it or use it often enough to justify that kind of expenditure. (besides I still like it) So a few hundered bucks to build a machine to run a 32 bit version of W8 seems attractive to me. Any suggestions for a motherboard and CPU?

invisibilian

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
if i were you, i would try to find out if windows 8 supports your AutoCAD 2000. i uses AutoCAD 2012 for uni, and i tried to install it on a windows 8 based machine. guess what. it freezes every few seconds. later, i found out AutoCAD 2012 has compatibility issue with windows 8. so you will definitely want to be sure that they are compatible before you make any purchases.

About "building a 32 bit machines". almost all processors coming from intel and and supports both 64 bit and 32 bit operating systems. if you are on a tight budget, you can go with a AMD Athlon.it should meet your needs.

clarp

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks, what I am looking for is a recommendation for a good low end CPU and motherboard. I have also tried this on W7 32 bit machines and it runs fine. I also have a W7 tablet running an AMD C50 processor that will run it but seems to have a problem when I use an external drive to access drawing files. When I build the machine I plan to buy a copy of W8 and try it. But, since ACAD 2000 is a 32 bit program I will need to either run a 32 bit virtual machine or use a 32 bit version of W8. So.. I am looking for recommendations for a good 32 bit CPU and compatible motherboard. I know I could blow a bunch of cash buying a core-5 or 7 CPU and motherboard and still install a 32 OS but really don't want to do that. If 32 bit W8 won't run it I can install 32 W7 and run it. I have run it on a W7pro core-5 64 bit machine but have to run it in an XP virtual machine to make it work.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

You're unlikely to find a 32-bit CPU for a home computing setting these days. However, a 64-bit CPU will work just fine for what you need.

Is there a reason why you can't use a 64-bit OS? I've never encountered a 32-bit program that won't run on my 64-bit OS, but, that said, I'm sure there are some.

Regardless, if you look here: http://www.newegg.com/AMD-Motherboards/SubCategory/ID-22 , you'll find many dozens of AMD motherboards for around or under $60. Personally, I'd get one from ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI, the Big Three motherboard manufacturers. It's possible, even likely, that there are boards from the others, such as Foxconn, ECS, Jetway, that would meet your needs, but I know nothing about them.

Anyway, any of the boards on that page from ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI will probably work just find for what you need. Once you find a motherboard you like, go the AMD CPUs page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028&IsNodeId=1&name=AMD

Find out what socket the motherboard you want uses. Most common ones these days are AM3, AM3+, FM1, etc. The motherboard will tell you which one you need.

Once again, there are a number of CPUs for less than $60.

Don't forget that you'll need RAM as well. Almost all motherboards today use DDR3 RAM.

I hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way suggesting that you buy something from Newegg! Newegg just happens to have one of the best selections and, more importantly, one of the most well ORGANIZED websites for finding computer components that you're likely to find anywhere on the Web today!!! Regardless of whether or not you buy something from them, I find that they are the best place to SEARCH for components. (I'm also not affiliated with Newegg in any way! ;) )

P.S. Be aware...! If you use a 32-bit version of Windows, you are limited to less than 4 GB of RAM! That's due to the addressing space available in a 32-bit environment. Even if you put 8 GB of RAM in your system, it would only see less than 4 GB.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
If Autocad 2000 runs on the 32-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 7, do that. Don't go back to Windows XP, ESPECIALLY if you're using a newer CPU and motherboard!

Your best bet is to get a mid-range LGA1155 motherboard, with an H77/Q77/B75/Z77 chipset, and an Ivy Bridge CPU, and install a 32-bit version of Windows 8 (or Windows 7).

Again, don't get more than 4GB of RAM, unless you expect to switch to 64-bit some time soon. You'll be throwing your money away, because the OS can't see above 4 GB.