Z68 + Ivy Bridge

Claark

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hi! I have only a question. I have an Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 motherboard in his box, i never used. Now i want to buy an Ivy Bridge CPU to use with this motherboard. This motherboard recognize the Ivy Bridge CPU at the first power up and can i make the BIOS update needed for this CPU? Or i need a Sandy Bridge CPU first, to make the BIOS update and only then i can use the Ivy Bridge CPU? Initially, i want Sandy, but now the Ivy appears. What do you say, which one to choose, Sandy or Ivy?
Greetings

bloodhoun555

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Well, if you are planning on gaming with this computer just go with sandy since it is pretty much exactly the same as ivy for gaming.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
To answer your question about the BIOS upgrade, you need to upgrade the BIOS with a SB chip before you can get the IB chip to work. So if you don't have a SB chip and cannot borrow one, you will need to purchase a SB chip to upgrade the BIOS before you can get the IB to function.

The big advantage of the IBis that it provides for PCI 3.0 functionality. If you plan to use a PCI 3.0 GPU such as the AMD 7000 series or the GTX 600 series, then the move to IB may make sense.

The disadvantage of the IB is that it runs hot when OC'd. The 22 nm die does not provide fro good heat dissipation. If your main purpose is to game on a PCI 2.0 platform the SB is superior, but the IB is necessary to reach the PCI 3.0 graphics platform.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
z68 = SB + IB Compatible

But if you wanna use IB on z68 it need to FLASH BIOS

For Upgrade/Falsh BIOS you need SB in you MOBO then it only boot and your able to UPGRADE BIOS after upgrade completed you just need to put IB Inside :)

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

You want SB or IB ?

Claark

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Finally i bought a SB i5 2500K. Thanks for your help.

granadacoder

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
If you call ASRock (go to their webpage and look for their non toll free number)...you can call in. You'll actually get a person on the phone!
They will send you an updated BIOS chip, that you can use pliers to replace yours.

I was on/off the phone in less than 10 minutes. I got an email saying my package would be mailed USPS.

Not instant gratification.....but better than a useless motherboard.

Key words.

ASRock MB-Z68X4G3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU Socket Type: LGA 1155
North Bridge: Intel Z68
Ivy Bridge
Intel Processor CPU
Code 55
Will not boot
Does not post