Do I need to change my thermal paste

So recently my 5850 has been getting very hot. It boots at system and from there just goes up in temps from there. However, in the few weeks before, the 5850 would be able to hold a low 30-40 idle w/o the fan going off. Now I'm forced to open Afterburner and turn the fan up to 40-50% to keep it cool. I mean it's not getting EXTREMELY HOT, it doesn't get passed 50*C when I game either (Fan turned on to 50%).

The end question is, do I have to replace the thermal paste? Has it dried out?
If I do have to replace the paste, is it safe? I've never taken apart my GPU and I don't have the money to buy another one.

D

Deleted member 217926

Aftermarket TIM can make a huge difference. I used IC Diamond 24C on my EVGA GTX460 EE SC and it lowered temps over stock 4C at idle and 7C at load.

If you go for replacing the TIM, be careful with the screws on the heatsink. Use the right size screwdriver and use gentle force. The whole point is you don't want to strip the screw sockets (where the screwdriver makes contact with the screw head). I used Arctic Cooling MX-4, and lowered temps and fan speed.

^ Well I did use a normal Philips head until I reached an impasse. The back plate screws for the heatsink use, I believe, 00# Philips head screws. So Would I need to remove those before the shroud can be removed? Because I was trying to remove the shroud with out removing those 4 back plate screws and it didn't really work out. I stopped and just re-installed the card into the computer for fear of forceful removal.

There's 16 screws holding the heatsink, fan and shroud assembly to the card.

Once the heatsink, fan and shroud assembly is removed, you can then undo a few more screws to remove the shroud that is covering the heatsink and fan.

You can see the 16 screw holes in this picture:

30001223238l.jpg

The blower fan and cooling block can be seen in this picture:

30001225386l.jpg

Ahhh So I do have to remove the heat sink back plate screws. They are basically the four screw holes around the chip. I'll go down to Harbor Tools and pick up a 00# Philips head screw driver. That'll let me unscrew the heatsink letting me take the shroud off.