Sign in with
Your question

System start/boot problems

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2011 1:40:31 AM

I have a problem with one of my home computers. It is an old W2K box that has been running flawlessly for the past 4 years. It has been doing something strange at start-up. This started about 2 months ago. Every time I start it up for the first time I get a no beep, no post and an error code 2b. If I hit the reset 6 or 8 times (sometimes I will have to turn the main power on & off also) it will finally boot up completely normal. Once it’s running I can shut it off and it will restart just fine. This seems to happen after is sits overnight (8-10 hours) then I get to play the start game all over again.
I have replaced the MB battery and reset the CMOS to no avail. I was told that it could be the power supply, so I replaced it and still no change. Next I pulled the memory sticks & the video card and cleaned the connections and reinstalled them with no change. Then I was told it could be bad system memory or the video card or even the motherboard itself. I can’t just start throwing parts at it. I figured I’d see if I couldn’t get something to fail. So Friday afternoon I got it started and ran the system benchmarks and compared them with the ones from 4 years ago, they were virtually the same overall system performance. I then ran the burn in/torture test for 52 hours straight thinking that if I had bad memory, vid card or something wrong with the motherboard I could induce a hard failure. It ran perfectly! I stopped it at 52 hours because it didn’t look like it was going to quit on it’s own. The case was getting warm so I shut it down and waited 5 minutes and re-booted and it started up fine. I let it sit until today and I had to hit the reset 8 times before it booted-up.
I’m at a complete loss what to do next. I would appreciate any help in figuring this out. The system specs are below:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Computer Name xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
User Name Joseph xxxxxxxxxxxx
Logon Domain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel, 3066 MHz (3.75 x 818)
Motherboard Name Abit AS8-V
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i848P/i865P/i865PE
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (01/21/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter IC Ensemble Envy24 Audio Controller

Storage:
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive IMG VP0
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive ST3120827AS
Disk Drive ST3250410AS
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
Optical Drive ASUS CRW-5224A (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive ASUS DRW-22B1L

Thank you for your time,
Joseph Chiechi
June 11, 2011 9:55:19 PM

Not that anybody here really cares, but it turned out to be a bad video card. Installed a new AGP card and updated drivers and all is well.
m
l
June 12, 2011 12:15:24 AM

ya man idk what is wrong with this place these days, used to be very active but its dead now. Its to bad.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2011 12:26:08 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm sorry you didn't get any replies. This forum, especially this section, is normally very active. I'm glad you figured it out, and appreciate the update.
m
l
Related resources
!