mcrmama

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi, I am new to this. We have 3 kids and all of us were sharing one computer. I do a lot of digital scrapbooking with photoshop cs5 so it was decided I would get a new computer. I have a Dell XPS 8300 (since April). I have done some work with our old Dimension 8400 that we have been sharing so it has upgraded ram, power supply etc. It is working quite well so I'm thinking of passing this one to the kids since they do not need a lot for what they do and build a new computer for my husband. I have not done this before so am a bit nervous but I have upgraded ram, replaced power supply, installed dvd drive etc. so am now starting to feel more comfortable with putting parts in. I'm thinking I might be able to do this. We also have a new computer guy starting soon at our office and I'm thinking if I get stuck, he might be able to give me a hand. I enjoy learning how to do things and really liking playing with my computer now that I understand better how to things.

My husband uses the computer mostly for WoW. I can't see him overclocking unless I do it for him. That is not something I have done before either. Here is what I was thinking for him:

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) - when I figure out what I want, lol. soon.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates - $1,000 prior to SSD drive

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies) - WoW, some internet surfing

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
- keyboard needed, no monitor, no speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) - doesn't matter, so far I have been using newegg.ca

Country of Origin: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick) - Canada

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)
- Intel CPU, no preference otherwise

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe - perhaps but only if I can learn to do it, my husband would never be able to, I install most of his programs and fix any issues

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe - not likely, but perhaps down the road

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) - 1920*x1200

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)
- I don't anticipate him playing a lot of other games, he usually loads one at a time anyways and uninstalls the others. His brother passed away during the year and they had been really into playing WoW together before he got sick. I can't see him changing games for the next little while, but eventually he probably will.

Rosewell Challenger Black midtower ATX case

MSI P67A-C43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 Motherboard

Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green 650 Watts

Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quadcore processor

G. Skill Ripjaws X series 4GB ram

Asus DVD Drive

Cooler Master Hyper 212

Window 7 Home Premium

OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

Rosewill PCI Network Adapter

I could possibly get 8gb ram and then put it in my computer, and move 4 gb from there to this computer to bump this to 8gb of ram. My programs that I use are ram intensive so I have the higher ram need. I'll have to check what type of ram I have to see if this would work. - Just checkd my ram is DDR3-PC3-10600 type.

Is the motherboard I picked okay for moving forward? Is the power supply and other parts appropriate for his needs? He has very little in the way of pictures, documents etc as they are all on my computer. I would add an HDD later, if he needs it.

Please help me pick a video card.

Thanks!

Jodi

Solution
Welcome to the forum. That looks pretty good for a super combo. You may still want to fill out the build advice form, so we can make sure it's right, though. Depending on the resolution, you may want to upgrade that 5770. And you don't strictly need the extra 4GB RAM. Regarding the SSD, if there will just be one game and maybe ~20GB of other stuff (no additional pictures, music, videos, etc), then you could potentially go with a SSD only setup. This isn't too common, but I don't see anything wrong with it in that circumstance.

mcrmama

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Oh, I would need a network adapter as well, since I have a home network set up. we are all wired in our computer room (soon to be renamed the lab I think, lol).
any suggestions?

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum. That looks pretty good for a super combo. You may still want to fill out the build advice form, so we can make sure it's right, though. Depending on the resolution, you may want to upgrade that 5770. And you don't strictly need the extra 4GB RAM. Regarding the SSD, if there will just be one game and maybe ~20GB of other stuff (no additional pictures, music, videos, etc), then you could potentially go with a SSD only setup. This isn't too common, but I don't see anything wrong with it in that circumstance.

Solution

mcrmama

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks, I didn't realize there was a build advice form. I will do that, especially since it is my first time through. I have been learning a lot. I wasn't sure on the video card so I can upgrade that for him. He had been using an x300 until last month when I put an HD4670 in our old computer and got him a new 23 inch monitor. He was amazed at the difference. I had originally been thinking about doing just an SSD drive for him because of his use of the computer. I still think that may not be a bad idea and put the savings into a better video card. I think he will continue with WoW for a while before branching out as he was playing it a lot with his brother before he got sick and passed away last year. He tends to get into a game for a while and just stick with one. Then he uninstalls it if he switchs to something else. It all started when we were all sharing an older computer and some of the games were causing problems so we made a 1 game each rule. He seems to have continued with that. Thanks!

Jodi

jbakerlent

Distinguished
No worries about the form - you can edit your post if you like by clicking either of the small buttons with lightning bolts in the bottom right of the post. And wow, a x300!! Is that right... :) In that case, I think he will greatly appreciate this upgrade!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Looks good. You don't need that network adapter, the motherboard already has an ethernet port onboard. Also, just pointing out that the mobo will not support crossfire it that's important to you. That PSU is fine, this ones a bit better though, if you think you'd do the rebate I'd get it.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650%20v2

I also don't see a GPU in your new list.

mcrmama

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks! I will change the PSU and drop the network card adapter. I wonder if I should consider a mobo that will support crossfire. I know right now we will just do one GPU, but perhaps it would be good to keep options open. Any suggestions on the mobo? Also, I am struggling on deciding what to do with the GPU. What would you recommend?

oh, you are right, my dh will be in heaven with a new GPU, the whole computer really, lol.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

mcrmama

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks! Okay, I think this is what we are doing.

Rosewell Challenger Black midtower ATX case

ASRock P67 PRO3 Mobo

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit

Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quadcore processor

G. Skill Ripjaws X series 4GB ram

Asus DVD Drive

Window 7 Home Premium

OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

My mil thinks she might have an extra keyboard and mouse at her house from my dh's brother so we might be able to use that. Our kids computer keyboard died this week.

Oh, I'm not sure if we are going to overclock. I thought for the time being we wouldn't and see how I do putting everything together and then we can go there. Do I need to get the cooler fan. I guess it is easier to install if I do it now. I was just worried more about goofing up on the install and thought it might be better to keep it simple to start with. Would the stock cooler be okay until we are ready to go that route? If I do get the cooler, is the thermal paste it comes with okay to use?

Jodi