Sign in with
Your question

Help with mi Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 25, 2010 11:53:04 PM

Hello,
I have a Linksys WRT54G2 router that disconnects frequently all but one computer. I have in the network two wired computers (one XP the other Win 7) and two wireless laptops plus an Xbox (wired) and an iPod touch. It disconnects all but the wired Windows 7 computer. I use Network Magic to monitor all connections and when I lose the connection it shows that there is no Internet Service coming to the router/network but indeed the Win 7 computer has internet going. It corrects itself after I reboot the router but it happens again at least 4-5 times a day. When I get disconnected I can't even access the router admin page. Does anybody have any advice to correct this?

More about : router

December 2, 2010 4:13:35 PM

I had that router for about two days and then chucked it into the street to get mashed by a street sweeper. That's my recommendation. But unfortunately not too helpful. I got a WRT54gl and flashed it with DDWRT firmware and have never had another random drop exactly as you describe. My PS3 stayed connected on my setup, everything else got dropped.
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:41:44 PM

Try firmware update. If that does not fix it, replace.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2010 11:23:02 PM

festerovic said:
I had that router for about two days and then chucked it into the street to get mashed by a street sweeper. That's my recommendation. But unfortunately not too helpful. I got a WRT54gl and flashed it with DDWRT firmware and have never had another random drop exactly as you describe. My PS3 stayed connected on my setup, everything else got dropped.

Thanks, that explains things, were do I get DDWRT and could it be used on my current router?
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:58:39 AM

what is the hardware revision of the router? only some of them are supported by DDwrt. It should be listed on the bottom of the router, on a Linksys sticker. Should be 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 maybe a few others. I will get you the link for the instructions once you find the hardware revision.

DDWRT did not stop this router from sucking, it still performed poorly to me.
m
l
!