Closed Solved

Deciding on new Graphics card

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Depending on thoughts today, or within a week or two BUDGET RANGE: Under 300 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies, internet, word. Games: I want it to play Diablo III at max or very close to max once it comes out. Granted its hard to gauge that as specs arent released for the game. I would like crysis at a respectable level. I dont really need maxed out everything but Its a nice perk if it is within my price range.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Well this is for a new computer so no current GPU, the last one I used in a desktop was a Radeon x600, and my laptop Fire Gl V5700. Current Power supply is going to be a Corsiar HX 850 watt

Processor: BX80623I52500K Intel core i5 Sandy Bridge
Case: RC-942-KKN1 Cooler Master HAF X
Power Supply: CMPSU-850HX Corsair 850W PSU
RAM: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL G.Skill 2x4gb
Monitors: 2x ML228H ASUS 21.5 inch Monitor
Hard Drive: WD1002FAEX WD 1Tb HD
SSD: SSDSA2MH080G2K5 Intel X25-M 80GB
MOBO: I dont know yet, I want one that can support crossfire. I do intend to crossfire 2 9650s but not right now.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, tigerdirect, any reputable store COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Most likely AMD, im not a fan of Nvidia but not for a real reason. Other than what I have read about nvidia being power hungry and costing more.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, if 6950 then flashing to 6970 SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not right away, but yes


ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Its going to be two displays, may or may not play games on both but I will have two screens. From what I have seen I have to go SLI right away if i want dual monitor. However with AMD, i can dual monitor right away.

I was looking mainly at Radeon 9650's and flashing them to 9670.
100312SR Sapphire 9650

these are the ones ive been looking at these cards

But I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help, advice, suggestions and opinions
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about deciding graphics card
  1. If you are trying to decide on what to buy, maybe the 6950 is the best way to go.
    You can flash it to get better performance and you can have 2, they are cheaper, and having 2 of them is just amazing.
    In my case, i will go with the Gigabyte or XFX just for personal preference (and OpenGL 4.1 compatibility).
    I dont think is time to buy that processor riiight now, i will recommend you to move to a full amd rig, but is your opinion, in my case i will need to change the motherboard cause bulldozer is coming with new am3+ chipset, but maybe is just worthless.
    Mobo... maybe the ASUS M4A785TD,ASUS M4A88TD-V , but like i said before, is personal preference.
  2. Thanks for the input. I am going to stick with Intel for now. But thanks for the input on the card, I didnt notice the open Gl 4.1.
  3. Best answer
    All of the Radeon 69xx Hd's support openGL 4.1... Your build with sandy bridge is perfectly fine right now, you really couldn't ask for more as a gamer. With an AMD build you would be getting the exact same results right now. I believe the 6950 2GB flashed to a 6970 is most definitely the best option (considering I've been looking into doing this myself) and if you really wanted to kill games then crossfire is of course open to you as long as you have 2 16X lanes that won't switch to 8x with a second card. I'm not really sure whether the sandy bridge chipset allows for full utilization of dual graphics though because of some kind of damper on PCI-E lanes. So, the best thing to do IMO is get the card now, if you want Crossfire later then more power to you and if for some reason the 2 cards don't work out, you can always sell what you've got, hold onto the HDD PSU and Cards...then utilize all those in building yourself a nice LGA 1366 system or whatever enthusiast line of product is out by then. I say this because i know for a fact LGA 1366 boards completely utilize 2 graphics cards at 16X.
  4. So wait, I'm confused do you own this system or are you in the process of owning it? Because, if you don't have the system yet then yes, it would be more logical to go AMD, you should save 100-200$ overall
  5. This is all in the planning stage besides the RAM. I havent bought anything besides that. So No I do not own this system yet. What all would I have to change to switch to AMD processor? just the processor and then pick an amd MOBO? Nothing else will change correct? As I need to buy my PSU and graphics today inorder to get the rebates.

    This PSU

    And what ever Graphics card I decide on today

    Thanks for the replies.

    What AMD Processor would you suggest as equivalent to SB 2500k?
  6. Yes just the mobo and processor The Phenom II X4 975 black should be the best for gaming and is 190$
  7. if you go through newegg, you can pair it with another item and get awesome combo deals
  8. Best answer if you dont mind :)
  9. Best answer selected by NarayanJr.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics