Sign in with
Your question

Help with a first time build...spacer/standoff question

Last response: in Components
August 19, 2011 4:53:53 PM

Hello,

I am assembling a computer for the first time and purchased a HEC Blitz case. The case only came with two metal spacers/standoffs. The case has several metal "risers" built into the side of it with 2 holes for micro ATX mother boards that are not raised. It appears at first glance that these spacers are for micro cases in the non raised holes.

My question is "am I supposed to still use spacers on the built in tabs?" The motherboard is raised up quite a bit if I put spacers on these tabs. I have seen several posts about this case and would appreciate some guidance.
August 19, 2011 5:21:36 PM

Fuzzystrawberry said:
Hello,

I am assembling a computer for the first time and purchased a HEC Blitz case. The case only came with two metal spacers/standoffs. The case has several metal "risers" built into the side of it with 2 holes for micro ATX mother boards that are not raised. It appears at first glance that these spacers are for micro cases in the non raised holes.

My question is "am I supposed to still use spacers on the built in tabs?" The motherboard is raised up quite a bit if I put spacers on these tabs. I have seen several posts about this case and would appreciate some guidance.

I would say no. I have an HP and a Compaq that have the same 'built in' standoff system that supports the motherboard. However the easiest way to tell for sure is to mount the motherboard in the case without standoffs on the raised spaces and see if the rear ports line up properly with the I/O shield on the back of the case. Just remember that if you're using a mobo with non-metallized mounting screw holes (which is very unlikely, but I always tell people this) that you'll need to use the paper insulator disks between it and the mounts.
!