Hissing noise resulting in slowness of games

arijitb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,
whenever i turn on my pc,after sometime abt 15 mins a hissing sounds starts which slows down my pc.whenever i play games on my pc the game slows down as long as the hissing sound is there.as soon as the sound stops the performance becomes normal.bt the sound goes on as long as i play games.i really dont know whats the cause.i have nvidia 9500gt card , 3 gb ram. i play games like fifa 10, 11,pes 11.

arijitb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
First of all many thanks to you hang-the-9 for helping me.

I think the noise is coming from the PCI slot where my card is attached.But i am unable to track down the exact noise source. Also the noise is like steam escaping that u get from a pressure cooker just before the steam escapes.

Please suggest me what is the cause of the noise and what to do as it is hampering the performance of my PC drastically.[/b][/b]

arijitb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

I had the same problem before when i had Nvidia 7500GT but the noise started when i installed games like fifa11,pes11,etc. Before that it was ok as i played upto fifa 10 without any noise problem resulting in game slowness.Then i started using Nvidia 9500 GT for high graphics games.Now the noise occurs even when i play fifa10 with 9500 GT but it was ok when i used 7500GT and played fifa10.Is it a problem related to motherboard because before i had intel 945 motherboard.The sound started to come after i started to use Gigabyte motherboard.Is it due to overclocking or something like that??

I have only PCIe slot.

Nothing should be making a hissing sound, bad fans don't hiss, and unless you have some major issues with the capacitors or electrical shielding neither should the electronics. To actually hear a hissing sound from your electronics they should not even be working properly.

Try moving the PC to another area, another room maybe, to rule out any electrical issues. You may want to bring the PC into a repair shop to diagnose.

Or replace the video card. 9500gt is a pretty bad card for "high graphics" even when it was new, it's a budget card really. Since you have a PCIe slot, try a Radeon 5570 or a 5550, just make sure you get the DDR5 cards not 3. You may want to use a 5550 if you have a power supply under 300 watts. Replacing the video card may fix the issue, and at the least you have a much faster video card even if it does not.

It's really a 50/50 call here, either option will cost some, but if you bring it to a shop and they say "the video card is bad" you will pay for the card AND the tech to tell you it's bad. Plus they will probably want to sell you some 3 year old video card for double it's worth.

TRENDING THREADS