Sign in with
Your question

What’s that noise on my GA-H61M?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 7, 2012 3:43:55 PM

My system just died on me not too long ago.
Tragic, but fair enough, at the end of the day, it is just a dirt cheap GA-H61M-S2-B3.
However, as most shops have sold out of this board, the shop has suggest me to buy the continuing model of GA-H61M-S1, which, according to him, should be no different from my original, and costs pretty much the same apart from missing one last PCIE slot and the printer port expansion port.
These are changes which I couldn’t care less, so I bought it back.

While assembled the board back into my chassis, I found the board to be a little smaller than the S2, which doesn’t worry me much, but the DRAM slots are also closer together than the S2. Don’t know if that will effect the cooling of my DRAM though.

It wasn’t long till I started to hear some high pitch noise coming from the motherboard, which did not happen with my previous one.
In order to find out what was going on, I have actually compared the two boards, and found them two to have more difference than what I though originally.

The number of those black flat chips in the power area does seem to have reduced from 15 to only 10, not sure what will happen though.

The S1 also removed one of the BIOS chips, though there seem to be a space designed for the second one originally, which I couldn’t care less, at the end of the day, dual BIOS is no any good to me if they both hosts a BIOS revision that won’t boot with my CPU.

There used to be one of those green flat chips next to the front USB port and one next to the rear on the S2, and only front has one for the S1.

Anyone knows if those differences are what’s causing the high pitch noise?

More about : whats noise h61m

a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2012 4:56:33 PM

The high pitched squeal usually come from the capacitors loading and unloading during computer usage. Does it do it when you are only in the bios? If not then that is the most probable cause. The demand is at or above their performance capacity depending on what's going on with the operation.

The other possibility is that the psu is going bad. What or how exactly did the other motherboard die on you? PSU might have taken it out.

Last but not least - sometimes the psu just doesn't agree with the build of the motherboard, known as incompatibility, and I haven't seen anyone be able to pin down which and which but it does happen sometimes.

So to answer the question of is the difference causing the problem??? I would say yes - if the psu isn't going bad. So change out the psu as a first attempt to fix it. Unless you're ready to upgrade.
m
l
!