Sign in with
Your question

New ASRock X79 Extreme9 build has random lockups/reboots no BSOD.

Last response: in Motherboards
May 7, 2012 4:15:01 PM

I get the random lockups or freezes, no BSOD everything looks fine and then nothing responds and the screen is frozen. Don’t seem to matter what I’m doing, internet, games, VMware, once while installing Windows and even once while I was in the BIOS.

At first I thought I was on to something with the RAM (Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL) as it could not pass Prime95 overnight. I did much testing with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages per GSkill support but in the end I could only pass Prime95 if I installed only one DIMM with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages. I ended up getting a Kingston 32GB kit to test with and it passed an overnight run of Prime95 most of the time until I manually set the timings in the BIOS and disabling the XMP profile. I’m not sure what this does for you but both manufactures asked me to try it. I guess you are hard coding the primary timings and then letting the BIOS automatically set the rest. In Kingston’s case it worked. The GSkill kit would have workers in Prime95 start failing within 30 most times and have 4 or 5 fail overnight. The Kingston kit took at least 15 hours or more for only one worker to fail, so it seemed much more stable to begin with. Now after many overnight and then some tests of Prime95 I get no more errors.

But I still get the random lockups or freezes.

I have tried reseating everything and checked the CPU socket pins. All looks good.
I have a Samsung 830 SSD and I know there was a lot of trouble with the last batch of new SSDs with random blue screens and lockups before a new firmware. So I installed a new copy of Windows 7 on an older hard disk with no drivers and it seemed more stable. The GSkill still had issues but I could run the Kingston kit with its XMP profile and it never had an error. I may have just needed to run the test longer or a few more times.

I don’t think its driver related as it locked up once while installing Windows and once while in the BIOS.

Someone suggested I run the motherboard outside the case but I’m water cooling and have no other heat sink.

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9, Intel 3930k 3.2GHz - G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card: MSI HD7970
System Drive: Samsung 512GB 830 Series SSD
Data Drive: Hitachi 4TB
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L
May 7, 2012 4:30:38 PM

Weird. Could this be an overheating issue?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2012 5:15:56 PM

There's a good chance it's the video card. If the system isn't actually freezing and causing a BSOD then the video card could be freezing and just the picture locks up. When it freezes on you and you have to reboot do you push the power button? And if so do you have to wait several seconds before it turns off or does it turn off instantly? If it takes a few seconds (usually 4 to 6 ) then the os is still running because that's usually a sign that windows is doing a emergency shutdown. Pull your video card and power cables off and clean all the connections then reseating them and see if that helps. If you have an old one lying around give it a try and see if that works.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 7:48:23 PM

All the temps I can see look good. I’m water cooling the CPU and the highest temperature is around 53°C for one of the six cores with all at 100% load under Prime95. I thought about that right off but it doesn’t seem to matter what temperature it is or how long the system has been running. I had two or three lockups in one day and I’ve had the system up for as long as three days with no lockup. Mostly I get one a day.

When it locks up its locked up. Can’t change the caps lock led on the keyboard and no hard drive activity. I think I’ve had to hold the power button down every time with even the reset button being unresponsive.

The main thing for me is that I had a lockup while installing Windows the second time on the spare hard drive and once while looking at settings in the BIOS.

As no one cross ships anymore, I’ve gotten the second set of RAM which seems to be a much better kit but I still have the lockups. I also have a second 7970 arriving today. I had not planned to add a second card so soon but it will give me another card to rule out the first one. Then I just have the motherboard, CPU and power supply. :( 

I’m thinking motherboard but I’ve heard scary things about the ASRock RMA process.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2012 8:14:51 PM

Sounds like a bad processor or bad power supply, unfortunately this kind of issue is hard to narrow down.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2012 8:20:03 PM

I saw this in the newegg reviews while I was looking around to see if I wanted this motherboard, it also came with a response from the manufacturer.

"Cons: Have a system that randomly crashes, no BSOD. just freezes and then requires a reboot. Have been trouble shooting for almost a month, searching the web with no resolve. No problems when OS. was installed.
Memory tests fine. Processor and memory are new all other components have functioned without an issue in a previous build. RMA'd the board, hope a replacement fixes the problem.

Other Thoughts: WD raptor 500GB
KingWin PWS.
GSkill Z RAM 16GB
MSI 5850 in Crossfire
Intel Core i7-3930K

Manufacturer Response:

Dear AsRock Customer

We sincerely apologize that you having difficulty with mainboard. Please check the processor temperature is not overheated and system as well. In addition, set the memory with XMP profile1 under BIOS/OC tweaker/DRAM configuration and see if it’s fix the issue. Please update once you've received the replacement mainboard's working fine. If you have any technical questions or warranty issues in the future please contact us at user@asrockamerica.com

Thank you

AsRock SUPPORT
Tech Support Email: user@asrockamerica.com

So maybe the RMA is the only way to go after all?
m
l
May 16, 2012 10:29:21 PM

That is where I was headed. I just got an ASUS X79 Deluxe to use while sending in the ASRock board as no one will cross ship anything anymore. Big pet peeve for me. I gave my money long ago but when you need help they expect you to have extra components to help them troubleshoot their product. “Do you have a different/extra CPU, RAM, power supply or video card you can try?” Then they won’t even cross ship a new board. Lame!

With three different set of RAM, two video cards and a few Windows installs it still randomly locks up. With the newest RAM kit I went five days before a lockup. :( 
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 12:40:19 PM

What exact set of RAM do you have now?

Prime95 (or OCCT, etc) is not a good Stress Test for X79/SB-E, instead use AIDA64 Extreme - http://www.aida64.com/downloads

However, unless your RAM passes Memtest86+ don't even bother with any other stress test - you are wasting your time. Therefore, Memtest86+ for a bare minimum of 4-full passes and best overnight. Once passed then most folks improperly install Windows 7 on their X79's, I strongly recommend you follow this buried Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume... otherwise I've seen a ton of oddball behavior: Sleep, USB, Random lockups/Shutdowns, etc.

To determine the root cause of the faults I recommend that you look at the Event Manager [+]Critical errors, the other 'Errors' ignore; see - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Event... Critical 41/63 can be anything HW related.

BIOS versions 0906 or 1103 only, any other BIOS versions use ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility: Download and extract (.ROM) file, place on a FAT32 formatted Flash Drive, use any Black USB 2.0 @ I/O, boot to BIOS, Press F5, then Tools / ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility and update the BIOS, boot back into BIOS, press F5 and modify the BIOS as needed.

Example BIOS for F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL 8x8GB DDR3-1600 10-10-10-30-2N @ 1.50v

XMP Tweaked method:
BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile1
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
VCCSA -> 1.15v~1.25v ; start with 1.20v
CPUVTT -> 1.15v~1.25v ; start with 1.20v

IF needed (unstable) add:
DRAM Voltage AB -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage CD -> 1.55v

IF needed (still unstable) add:
DRAM AB Current Capability -> 110%
DRAM AB Power Phase Control -> Optimized
DRAM CD Current Capability -> 110%
DRAM CD Power Phase Control -> Optimized

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual method:
BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS PRE -> 10
DRAM RAS ACT -> 30
DRAM Command Mode -> 2
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
VCCSA -> 1.15v~1.25v ; start with 1.20v
CPUVTT -> 1.15v~1.25v ; start with 1.20v

IF needed (unstable) add:
DRAM Voltage AB -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage CD -> 1.55v

IF needed (still unstable) add:
DRAM AB Current Capability -> 110%
DRAM AB Power Phase Control -> Optimized
DRAM CD Current Capability -> 110%
DRAM CD Power Phase Control -> Optimized

Save & Exit = Yes
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:31:38 PM

Actually you have no enough power
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 3:02:46 PM

johnwestern said:
Actually you have no enough power

The OP has more than enough 'Power' - "Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum-1000W", and the SeaSonic's are typically one of the best PSU's you can get.
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:47:05 PM

Yea, power should be fine. With a single DIMM and one video card it has the same issues.

I’m not using RAID and I’ve installed windows on the SSD and a spare hard drive and the issue persists. A big thing for me is the fact that it locked up once while in the BIOS. That’s no Windows and no Windows drivers.

It sounds like you have messed with this stuff a lot but are you saying that you need to do an F6 RAID driver install with Windows 7 even if you are not using RAID? That sounds kind of out there. I have tons of totally stable PCs that never had a RAID driver installed.

I’ve tested with the original GSkill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL kit a friends single DDR3-1600 DIMM (I forget the brand) and a Kingston HyperX Genesis 32GB Kit (8x4GB Modules) kit. Now I have the replacement GSkill kit. They all pasted every Memtest86+ run, I ran many and overnight. Even each single DIMM at GSkills request. Memtest86+ never showed an error. With Prime95 the original GSkills were ok with the first run right after installing Windows but after getting a few lockups and testing a lot by the time I sent them back one worker would fail within 30 minutes or so and 4-5 would fail overnight. My friends did fine but I only had it a few days. The Kingston kit was better than the original GSkill kit. I tested it a lot and it was good until about the 15th hour it would have only one worker fail. With the replacement GSkill kit I’ve run Prime95 every night for almost a week and had one 40 hour run with no workers stopped. So while the motherboard or CPUs memory controller may be picky, something is defiantly up with the RAM they are selling.

I may try the AIDA software but in my small sampling I feel the RAM manufactures at fault here. The chips on the DIMMs are not native DDR3-1600 or faster crazy/worthless DDR3-2400 speeds. They are DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1066 and overclocked with XMP profiles, heat spreaders and sometimes even fans.

I do think I have two issues and if I had not had the random lockups I’d never found out that a kit like Kingston’s had any issues. I think the manufactures count on this and there bin-ing is a little sloppy. After 5 days of leaving the PC on and running Prime95 whenever I could I got a lockup even though the GSkill kit I have now never had an error in Prime95.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 5:42:57 AM

I am going to make this short. IF you allowed Windows to install the default AHCI driver your Windows isn't installed properly and problems are exponentially more prevalent. The only reason (period) to set Intel SATA -> RAID is to prevent the wrong drivers from being installed; once Windows 7 is installed change it to AHCI. If you like the way it runs then leave it, your MBR will become corrupt and the problems probably will get worst.

My X79 runs flawless - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2320509 I'm a system builder, and frankly anyone who argues with me is going down a dead-end street.

Running Memtest takes the OS out of the equation, and IF the RAM fails then you have an issue with the RAM (or MOBO or you grounded aka sorted the DIMM(s) -- breadboard) -- try the settings I listed. Failure RMA the RAM.

IF Memtest passes and the system still has problems, repeating myself, then look at the Event Manager and address the issues. Failure either listen or bring the PC to a service center that has experience with X79's.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:11:12 PM

I did properly install Windows. If Intel’s X79 chip or the 2011 CPUs have an issue with the default (6 year old) Microsoft AHCI driver then they need to fix that and let people know. It wouldn’t surprise me it just sounds unlikely. What is Intel response to the issue? Anywhere online where someone has confirmed this? Just wondering as it is an interesting issue. Lots of X79 systems run flawlessly using the default Microsoft AHCI driver. Why would it be messing with the MBR and make become corrupt?

You feel strongly about it and that’s great but telling people you know all and that it’s not up for debate is off putting, frankly. :) 

But, it seems to have nothing to do with the issue I’m having. I think that as it locked up in the BIOS takes the OS out of the equation. I even found another thread where you talk a guy into reinstall windows with the Intel RST driver but it had nothing to do with his issue.

As I said, I did run Memetest86+ a lot and it never showed any errors but stress tests in the OS did.

As I said, I already returned the RAM and the latest kit has no errors in Prime95 where the other two kits did and consistently. GSkill and Kingston had me mess around with timings and VCCSA and VTT voltages to try and get their kits working. Nothing worked and even if it had I’d not want a RAM kit that needs funky voltages and timings to run.
I did look at the event logs but they all look normal up until they show Windows rebooting. The Critical Event ID 41 is a nice little log of the freezes/lockups though.

I’ll try the AIDA software tonight. You just use the System Stability Test? No best settings to use and then just wait for an error? Sorry the help file don’t work. Maybe you have to pay for the full version for that.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 18, 2012 7:05:19 PM

I've experimented with both the Default & "F6" (iaStorA / iaStorS) drivers -- it took 10 minutes of testing to determine "F6" is the way to go especially with a 'mechanical' platter HDD. Further the Default driver, IF you have a problem Windows repair won't work correctly, HDD's are slower (R/W), increased drive errors, S3/S4 Hybrid Sleep issues, stability issues, etc. Again, it's your PC.

Re-installing Windows is nothing and installing Apps before the system is fully validated is a poor building habit. The only thing that's a PITA is Secure Erasing an SSD -- takes time.

Prime95 + Blend often does cause errors and instability on the X79; Prime95, OCCT, etc are OLD apps -- ASUS nor I recommend them on the X79. I can pass Prime95 + Blend. If Prime95 + small FFTs works but Prime95 + Blend fails then: 1. Bad RAM settings which 9/10 are the voltages, 2. Mixing (2) sets using an optimized XMP meant for (1) set, 3. Grounding/MOBO issue, 4. Bad RAM = RMA.

However, IMO Memtest86+ overnight is the best test for RAM, and if it's failing CPU IMC tests like Test 7 raise the VCCSA & VTT.

Folks rarely debate me on RAM, and the powers that be @ TH trust what I said about X79 + "F6" method. The only thing that I feel 'strongly about' is debating something that I know for a fact.

AIDA64 Extreme - I select ALL of the Stress testing options to Validate. On extreme builds i.e. OC's + multi-GPU builds I'll run AIDA64 and 3DMark11 w/Bench Looping (requires purchase of Advanced version). 24 hour for Personal and 48 hour Professional (Workstations).
m
l
May 18, 2012 7:40:07 PM

Ok, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the RAM thing. I had no errors in MemTest86+ but did in Prime95 and now with a new kit I don’t have errors in either program. Not saying don’t use MemTest86+, I always do on a new build but in this case it saw nothing wrong with a kit I truly believe to be bad. Anyway…

Is there log to look through or a popup message when AIDA64 finds something?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 19, 2012 1:00:05 PM

First, there's an oddity with Default (DDR3-1333) and SB-E, the i7-3930K is 3.2/3.8GHz but under (DDR3-1333) it's capped-off to, as I recall, 3.2/3.6GHz. So if your RAM isn't properly set and running DDR3-1600 or faster it causes the SB-E not to run properly which might be an issue in any testing. So you first need to setup the RAM in the BIOS i.e. not Defaults then run your testing. I always set my BIOS environment first!

Next, if Memtest = Pass and Prime95 + Blend = Fail then the only variable is the CPU's running speed. So it's an 'Egg vs Chicken' and the problem(s) are either the BIOS environment or CPU. So IF the new RAM passes both tests under the SAME variables then it's Default 'SPD' in the 2nd set is more stable than the first set of RAM which again is why my first post was to the BIOS environment. This is not uncommon and I never trust the BIOS to read 'SPD' (Auto) information, so either XMP/Profile1 <or> manually set the RAM (Frequency, CAS Timings (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD RATE), and Voltages (DRAM & if needed IMC).

AIDA64 - in the Testing Screen there's a Date & Time with Status log.
m
l
May 26, 2012 12:16:53 AM

So far it looks like it was the motherboard. The ASUS motherboard has not frozen. It has given me two BSOD regarding the atikmpag.sys. I wonder if it was poor AMD drivers all along and the ASRock motherboard just froze vs. the BSOD. ???

I reinstalled the AMD drivers and moved the second 7970 to the correct blue slot. No BSOD yet. We will see.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 12:38:52 AM

Lots of things can cause 'atikmpag.sys' errors, using the wrong PCIe slot, incorrect BIOS settings (try F5), bad or corrupted AMD/ATI drivers, RAM settings, BCLK (<98MHz or >104MHz -- use 100MHz) on LGA 1155/2011, etc.
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:01:02 AM

Ok, now Prime95 just failed for the first time with the new RAM kit. None of the kits failed like this before. Every worker (all 12 of them) stopped at around 36 hours and 17 minutes. What the heck!?

I had been running Prime95 on and off since the 11th with no error then bam.

[Fri May 25 18:28:29 2012]
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
[Fri May 25 18:38:22 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999961853, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Fri May 25 18:43:39 2012]
m
l
May 26, 2012 8:52:33 AM

Tanquen said:
Ok, now Prime95 just failed for the first time with the new RAM kit. None of the kits failed like this before. Every worker (all 12 of them) stopped at around 36 hours and 17 minutes. What the heck!?

I had been running Prime95 on and off since the 11th with no error then bam.

[Fri May 25 18:28:29 2012]
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 1152K passed!
[Fri May 25 18:38:22 2012]
[Fri May 25 18:43:39 2012]

Do you have an 4GB ram unit? It seems that a lot of people are having the same problem with Gigabyte UD3/5H z77 boards as well (random lock ups and freeze).

From what I'm reading it is a BIOS issue, the boards not compatible with some 4GB RAM sticks with samsung chips.... need to wait for BIOS update.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 2:11:25 PM

Again I test with AIDA64 Extreme! Prime95, OCCT, etc are older stress tests and frankly the way they can test can damage the SB-E. I don't use them anymore.

What changes from 'Default' BIOS have you made -- I always set my BIOS environment first. I already posted good info; see above.
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:03:08 PM

cashflows said:
Do you have an 4GB ram unit?...

First post tells you that they are 8GB. :)  I don’t know what they fixed but the last two BIOS updates from ASUS mention memory compatibility and stability twice.
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:29:05 PM

jaquith said:
Again I test with AIDA64 Extreme! Prime95, OCCT, etc are older stress tests and frankly the way they can test can damage the SB-E. I don't use them anymore.

What changes from 'Default' BIOS have you made -- I always set my BIOS environment first. I already posted good info; see above.

I’m sorry, I keep going back to Prime95 as I’ve always used it, it’s free and it showed me the other RAM kits were different. Also AIDA64 all but locks up my PC, as in I can’t do anything else. Sometimes after letting it run for a bit it takes a few minutes just to get the mouse to the stop or cancel button. If Prime95 is damaging (properly cooled) CPUs they are weak and should have never been sold in the first place. I do not buy into the argument that it’s not fair to run stress test. Hey this car is great just don’t drive it at the speed limit for more than 30 seconds. :) 

In my case it makes no difference what I’m doing and mostly the CPU is barely in use. I’m browsing the internet or playing a game or running a simple VMware app for work and then crash or lockup, like the Prime95 test has run for 40 hours before with no errors. It seems I can do whatever I want but whatever I’m running will throw errors or the system will crash randomly at some point.

I’ve run the AIDIA64 app overnight a few times and it showed nothing.
The BIOS is at default other than selecting the XMP profile.

I’ll go through your BIOS suggestions again. But I did mess with voltages and manual RAM settings many times with the other RAM kits working with tech support from Kingston and GSkill and it did not change anything.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 6:28:10 PM

Do what and how you want...I'l sit back and watch.

Prime95 OVER VOLT and OVER COOL -- it's that simple!

AID64 Extreme is free as I reall for 30 days and with ALL stress test options selected does a much better job for VALIDATIONS.
m
l
May 26, 2012 6:34:18 PM

“Prime95 OVER VOLT and OVER COOL” ??? It’s changing the CPU voltage settings?

It looks like AIDA64 checks more stuff for sure but again in my setup something is wrong at it and Memtest86+ show nothing.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 6:42:31 PM

Tanquen said:
“Prime95 OVER VOLT and OVER COOL” ??? It’s changing the CPU voltage settings?

It looks like AIDA64 checks more stuff for sure but again in my setup something is wrong at it and Memtest86+ show nothing.

Nope the CPU isn't the issue with Prime95 + Blend, IF small FFTs works and Blend fails then increase RAM voltages as I 'progressively' listed above or simply do ALL of the RAM voltages and phase control.

Quote:
but again in my setup something is wrong

Why because you got errors after 36 hours with Prime95 + Blend? ... Voltage = higher.
m
l
May 27, 2012 3:50:35 PM

Well, I did say (in the first post) I’ve already tried upping the VTT and the VCCSA as per Kingston and GSkill. I also thought that these settings were CPU related. I tried increasing the DRAM voltage and manually setting the main RAM timings. The RAM manufactures also suggested this. I’m running everything at stock settings, not overclocking anything. I understand that something is off so I’m more than happy to try bumping some voltages but it’s not helping so far.

So if I’m failing after 36 hours what are the relevant voltages? DRAM Voltage, Current Capability, Power Phase Control or all of them? How high would you go?

I’ve tried DRAM Voltage up to 1.6v and VCCSA/VTT up to 1.2v. GSkill said not to go any higher on the VCCSA/VTT settings. For the Current Capability, Power Phase Control I’ve only use your suggested settings.

Just to add to the confusion, I tried overclocking the CPU to 4.5 GHz overnight thinking it may increase the instability and I’d not have to wait two days to see something happen. No errors but the CPU temp did go up to 62°C from 50.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 5:15:45 PM

I wouldn't disagree with what G.SKILL said, and yes I feel with Prime95 + Blend 36 hour failure is more than likely due to a RAM/IMC voltage issue. Keep in mind as you up the voltages RAM and CPU those components also run hotter. The 'damaging' voltage from 'VCCSA/VTT' is 1.35v and 1.20v are typical voltages for both values. Also, never use >1.5Xv vCore and IMO 1.45v is the max I suggest for SB-E long-term; >1.50v vCore and/or 'VCCSA/VTT' > 1.35v have same effect to DEGRADE the SB-E CPU regardless of the temps!

I just know Prime95 + Blend on an X79 isn't a brilliant idea and I don't use it as I've said all along. Reasons not to use Prime95: 1. Damage to CPU; 2. Failure to properly test new CPU SB/SB-E/IB Instruction Sets; 3. Outdated & Old App with Very Limited Testing (CPU and poor RAM testing).

My validations: AIDA64 Extreme 24~48 hours, Memtest86+ overnight, and AIDA64 Stress + 3DMark11 (looping) for 6~8 hours. IF I tested and passed but failed Prime95 + Blend on an X79 or SB or IB then I wouldn't give it a thought.

IF AIDA64 Extreme with ALL options passes after 24 hours then you're VALIDATED. AIDA64 DOES test all of the appropriate SB-E instruction sets -- again Prime95 does NOT.
m
l
June 6, 2012 4:50:20 PM

I found some forums where folks were having the same error with a 7970 video card. Someone there found that disabling the flash hardware acceleration in the web browsers got rid of the atikmpag.sys error, so far anyway. For now I have no lockups and no BSOD with the atikmpag.sys error. Will see if it lasts.

The last small (non?) issue is Prime95 crashing after 30 to 40 hours. I’ve run it a few time and it crashed twice at 36 hours and once around 40 hours. The PC keeps running and seems to be fine. The first time I listed above and all the workers crashed the other two times Prime95 crashed and was no longer running. I’ve never seen that before but I’ve not run Prime95 for two days before.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 5:17:16 PM

Most of the errors I've run across with both the GTX 600 series or AMD 7000 series were from OC'ing (or pre-OC'ed) GPU's (RSOD).

I still see you're stuck on Prime95...
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:26:06 PM

No OC on either of my 7970 cards or CPU.

I know how you feel about it but it and the Intel Burn in are the only programs I’ve tried that showed me some kind of error. I think the errors with the other RAM kits were legitimate as they happened within a few hours and were repeatable and changed with the different RAM kits. With the last RAM kit it I get no errors until Prime95 seems to crash around the 30 to 40 hour mark and all the workers have errors (like a switch was thrown) or it just crashes and disappears. Even when it crashes and disappears I can look and it’s log and see that none of the workers had failed up to that point.

The main thing for me is there are no more random freezes. That was lame. It sucks that something looks to be wrong with the AMD driver but disabling the Flash hardware acceleration in Chrome and Explorer don’t seem to have changed the browsers behavior/speed.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 8:42:32 PM

I had issues with the nVidia driver crashing in Chrome, and since Chrome (last 2 versions for me) also prevents hybrid-sleep I'm ditching Chrome for FireFox until Google wakes-up and fixes their issues which are probably snooping issues... So is it a GPU issue or Browser issue -- it's a Browser issue and you outlined a workaround.

Keep in mind, I am not a fanboy of anything other than ASUS with LGA 2011. When the SB-E was first released it was only ASUS, for the most part, that remained stable and didn't have any of the OC + Temp issues like so many -- not to mention PCIe 3.0 issues.

So quite possibly it's the MOBO more so than the RAM or CPU or whatever component it's connected to now.
m
l
September 19, 2012 4:39:46 AM

Tanquen said:
I get the random lockups or freezes, no BSOD everything looks fine and then nothing responds and the screen is frozen. Don’t seem to matter what I’m doing, internet, games, VMware, once while installing Windows and even once while I was in the BIOS.

At first I thought I was on to something with the RAM (Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL) as it could not pass Prime95 overnight. I did much testing with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages per GSkill support but in the end I could only pass Prime95 if I installed only one DIMM with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages. I ended up getting a Kingston 32GB kit to test with and it passed an overnight run of Prime95 most of the time until I manually set the timings in the BIOS and disabling the XMP profile. I’m not sure what this does for you but both manufactures asked me to try it. I guess you are hard coding the primary timings and then letting the BIOS automatically set the rest. In Kingston’s case it worked. The GSkill kit would have workers in Prime95 start failing within 30 most times and have 4 or 5 fail overnight. The Kingston kit took at least 15 hours or more for only one worker to fail, so it seemed much more stable to begin with. Now after many overnight and then some tests of Prime95 I get no more errors.

But I still get the random lockups or freezes.

I have tried reseating everything and checked the CPU socket pins. All looks good.
I have a Samsung 830 SSD and I know there was a lot of trouble with the last batch of new SSDs with random blue screens and lockups before a new firmware. So I installed a new copy of Windows 7 on an older hard disk with no drivers and it seemed more stable. The GSkill still had issues but I could run the Kingston kit with its XMP profile and it never had an error. I may have just needed to run the test longer or a few more times.

I don’t think its driver related as it locked up once while installing Windows and once while in the BIOS.

Someone suggested I run the motherboard outside the case but I’m water cooling and have no other heat sink.

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9, Intel 3930k 3.2GHz - G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card: MSI HD7970
System Drive: Samsung 512GB 830 Series SSD
Data Drive: Hitachi 4TB
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L

the problem is hyper threading enabled, I have the same board with the same problem.
m
l
September 19, 2012 5:45:03 PM

max306 said:
the problem is hyper threading enabled, I have the same board with the same problem.

That is something to check out for sure. I had an ASUS board installed for a few months while ASRock had the Extreme 9 board and finally sent me a new one. The ASUS board never locked up. ASRock had told me that nothing was wrong with their board and that I’d have to pay for all the shipping before they would send me another one. After I called and spoke with them, telling them that the ASUS board had no problems for almost a month but theirs did, they finally sent me a new one. They have also had a few BIOS updates since then so I’m hoping the new board will not crash.
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:27:39 AM

it just did it again. I've disabled the hyper threading and I'll see if it happens again. ASRock is LAME!
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:37:31 AM

in my board works fine whitout ht but is a litle unstable, not works 100%
m
l
September 24, 2012 6:56:38 PM

Tanquen said:
it just did it again. I've disabled the hyper threading and I'll see if it happens again. ASRock is LAME!

The problem is not the mainboard. I have the Extreme 9 and have no problems. I have even used my old DDR3 @stock 1.9v which was used on a 4 year old board which would not boot with anything less than 1.9v. That is what you get for being an early adopter :-P

I am taking an educated guess: It could be one of two things.

1. PSU - You might have a very good power supply but if one rail has a voltage spike or is under powered, you will have the problem you are having. Also make sure you are not using a PCI-E 8 connection to the board. My PSU is modular and I was using the "12V1" connection and had power problems. Tried "12V2" and the board booted fine.

2. Any add in card - Things like video cards, sound cards, TV tuners, etc. can cause your problem if they are starting to fail. Try playing with the PCI-E settings. If your video card supports PCI-E Gen 3, change it to 3, if not, make sure it is set to Gen 2 (should be the UEFI/BIOS default).

I know you said that your old Asus board worked fine. I have a lot of customers who assume that the new item is their problem. In 90% of these claims, I can normally fix the issue without replacing the "new" component. New items, like your ASRock board might be drawing power differently which can trigger problems with devices you didn't have before, you might have a chipset compatibitly issue with one of your components, or even a bad SATA cable. It is a complete pain to narrow down the cause, but you get used to it in my line of work.
m
l
September 24, 2012 7:38:11 PM

max306 said:
in my board works fine whitout ht but is a litle unstable, not works 100%

What CPU are you using? Could you post a pic of CPUZ main page? The reason I'm asking is that there are 2 revisions to some of the SandyBridge-E CPUs. I have i7 3930K with C2 stepping and no problems. All 6 cores are working and 12 threads show up in windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Asrock X9 Extreme 9
Intel i7 3930K
8GB of Patriot DDR3 1333 1.9v RAM (upgrading this soon)
Corsair HX1000 PSU (Channel Well re-branded)
Asus AMD HD5870 1GB (also looking to upgrade soon)
Cooler Master 6X-Elite CPU cooler (moving to liquid cooling soon)
Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Hauppauge PCI-E TV tuner

m
l
September 24, 2012 7:51:10 PM

Well, disabling the hyper threading did not help. Locked up two times yesterday.

I think the problem is the main board.

Swap out the motherboard with the ASUS and everything is fine.

I’ve tried the GEN3 and two settings for the video cards.

I’ve tried three sets of RAM.

I’ve tried two different video cards.

This is the first motherboard that I’ve had with two extra CPU power connections and I made sure to use the connections marked for the CPU and not PCI-E. It also has an extra molex power connection if you use two video cards. The funny thing is that nothing changes if I don’t use the extra video or CPU power connections. I even tried swapping the two CPU power connections.

Everything was new 8 months ago when this started. The ASUS board was just to have something to run on while ASRock gave me the runaround.

Maybe there is something just a little off about my CPU or PSU put the ASUS board deals with it. ???

Do you really think it could be the PSU? It even locked up while in the BIOS. No odd drivers running or over clocking settings and the thing locks up.
m
l
September 24, 2012 7:53:19 PM

I have the C2 stepping.
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:27:41 PM

my problem is a little bit diferent than tanquen, if I use 2 video cards, windows freezes at the startup, if I use one video card in a pci-e than the pci-e n ° 1, windows freezes at startup.
only works well if:
1: Use only one video card in the pci-e Number 1
2: use two video cards with ht disabled
3: in Safe mode (2 video cards and ht enabled)
also I have some bsod: bugcode_usb_driver and I tried everything you can think of.

x79 extreme 9
I7 3930k c2 stepping
3x2 ocz blade 2000mhz 3x2 ocz flex ex 1600 mhz
2 msi gtx 570
cooler master silent pro gold 1200w
corsair h70
2 wd caviar blue raid 0
m
l
September 25, 2012 9:46:52 PM

Tanquen said:

Maybe there is something just a little off about my CPU or PSU put the ASUS board deals with it. ???

Do you really think it could be the PSU? It even locked up while in the BIOS. No odd drivers running or over clocking settings and the thing locks up.

It would not be the first time or the last time seeing that one board can handle issues and another cannot. Different chips and capacitors have different tolerances. Some boards can have +1v or more going to the board that is out of spec and not show any problems.

My PSU is not cheap, and well rated at the time of my purchase. I still had an issue with one 12V rail. I just switched the cable to another 12V port on the PSU and my system started up with no problems. My old Asus board needed DDR3 to be 1.9V in order to be stable. Just raising the voltage manually helped but it did not solve the problem until I got the right RAM.

If you change your board and still have the issue, it will be most likely your power supply. The board does well with RAM of all different timings and voltages, and you state you have tried different ram, so you can safely cross that off your list.
m
l
September 25, 2012 11:34:45 PM

this is the answer asrock Technical Support.

Sebastian;

Deberisa de actualizar el firmware the la tarjeta de video , ya que el BIOS tenes es la ultima version y es possible que nesesites actualizacionde BIOS de la tarjeta de VGA

ASRock America Support

they say, you should update the bios of the video card.

asrock support sucks.
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:40:27 AM

I found the problem, after 15 fuc**ng days, I found the fuc**ng problem. I disable all Marvell drivers that will not use from the bios setup, windows does not freeze, ht on, no more BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER bsod, the core # 4 is not more at 60% load, works perfect. may think I'm an idiot, but I never thought the Marvell sata drivers, I have a MSI Eclipse Plus and Marvell controllers never disable. I'm fuc**ng happy. tanquen, try this, maybe you tried already. if you need to know about the BIOS settings, let me know. also, I'll test a few days. sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina.
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:11:21 PM

Hmm... Well at least its not an isolated issue.

I've been experiencing crashes on the occasional basis with this particular board ever since I built my system back at the beginning of March. It hasn't been too much of a problem for me. Sometimes occurs straight after booting or after 6 hours of gaming or work.

Build is as such:

Mobo: Asrock Extreme 9 with that Sound Blaster Card.
CPU: 3820 @ 4.0GHz
PSU: Antec CP-850W That slightly bigger one than the ATX standard.
RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance at 1866 MHz
GPU: 1 x HIS 7950 (not overclocked, was contemplating on getting a second one sometime)
Cooler: Corsair H80
HDDs: 1x60Gb SSD for OS. 1x1TB for Games and programs, 1x2TB for movies and storage.

Anyway. First thoughts were on the sound card cause of I get a buzz going through my sound system whenever a crash occurs.
But may be just a dodgy board. I have had a crack at playing around with the Marvell controllers as max306 suggested however. But all I can do is wait for another crash to happen before I know if its working or not.

Sorry to hear about the issues you guys have had though. Like for me its only been an occasional thing and it only takes a few seconds before I've booted the comp back up. Sounds like those crashes have been a bit more frequent for you guys.

Oh and another thing I may as well raise. When I first got the system it was running alright for the first two weeks before a stick of RAM died surprisingly. I hadn't done anything at that stage that would of put stress on the system. Just refused to boot one morning. It took me by surprise as well as I tested everything and the little number display didn't show a RAM fault. Just was stuck on Northbridge Initialisation. Anyway I got my RAM RMA'd and have since had no issues there.

So I think it is just the board or the Marvell controller or whatnot that causing these crashes. Anyway I'll be in touch to let you know if any more crashes occur.
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:29:59 PM

I did try disabling all the unused devices on the mother board and that did not help. I’ve gone as long as 4-5 days without a crash and other days it’s crashed 3 times in 30 minutes.

Again, the fact that it even crashed once while in the BIOS makes me think it hardware related.

Also, these are not BSOD or blue screens of death with an error message. Everything just freezes and I have to hold the power button.

I spoke with ASRock last week to try and just return the board as I have an ASUS board that did not have a freeze episode the whole time it was installed. Almost three months.
They only want to send me yet another board or have me send in my $600 CPU and RAM and PSU so they can test it. I know they’ll just run it a few days and tell me that everything is fine.
m
l
October 6, 2012 2:27:19 AM

Yea I know what you mean... It's not a frequent issue and for all we know they won't counter any issues with the board if they test it. Unfortunately for me it's even more painful to get a replacement board. I'd have to post it back to Melbourne then the store there would have to post it off to China then I'd have to wait for the replacement to come back. This is the only comp I have as well unfortunately.

Hmm well I think I may consider replacing the board over the holidays, might try and sell this old board to a mate or something. I tried tinkering around with the Marvell drivers and it still freezed after half an hour of playing Skyrim last night.

Yea I get no Blue Screens either which makes trouble shooting even more painful and there's no indication on the motherboard display about hardware faults cause as far as it can tell it's already working.

I remember back when I was shopping around I was going to get the Asus Rampage IV but one of my mates turned me off it after he had to replace his up to three times. Might not have been the exact model but something round that. Might just go with a Gigabyte board next time. Even still I could hold out a little further until the release of Ivy Bridge E and look at the new boards that come around then.
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:07:09 AM

You have me scared now... You guys sound like Data on Star Trek with all your tech talk. Blows my mind. Not trying to hijack your thread it just appears that is has cooled off a bit. I am buying parts to build a fast computer to edit Adobe cs6 master suite. I bought a quadro 4000 2gb card and have been stuck looking for a reliable Mobo. I thought the hex core was like getting a half a computer for a couple hundred extra... but it seems that you need to be a Hot-Rod Computer person to build one of these Ferrari's with 12 carbs... Sure it will tear asphalt but only after you manually tune it. If someone would help me out and P.M me on a build that is stable for a Work station to edit big video and effects with, I would appreciate it. Something you don't have to be a System builder/analyst to get running and not have crashes??? Please?
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:23:06 AM

Hmm well the Intel i7 3930K (I assume would be the "Hexacore" your looking at) is brilliant at anything you want to throw at it. I only went for the 4 core cause I didn't think I'd need the power.

But even still you don't need the best of the best to run CS6 and not have anything to slow you down. If you got the money sure thing but just keep in mind that you can settle for at $1500 that will do all you need over spending $3000.

I bought this machine to do all of my gaming, programming and CAD drawing needs and even still I haven't pushed it to the limits with the 4 cores. Even still if I can suggest probably not going with the ASRock extreme 9 board after reading this thread. :D 

But yea you can't go wrong with a Gigabyte UP4 for the 2011 socket really, 16GB of RAM should be more than enough, you can settle for 8GB as well and I'd go for a 120GB SSD drive cause they pretty much boot up your system and programs in seconds. Oh and as for a CPU cooler. I'd advise staying off the H80 cause mine and makes retarded sounds. They essentially work harder than they should. This problem though isn't related to our crashes however.

Just google round have a look at Stable Computer Workstations for CS6 or something. The Quadro 4000 that you have will be compatible with pretty much any new board these days.

Anyway back on topic, still get crashes from time to time but the other one I've been noticing as well is that I'd be doing something involving heavy use of the Graphics card and the screens would go white with these funny pink pixelated squares for a split second (Sort of hard to explain) and then they would go blank for a few seconds and then the system would restart itself. These crashes however are just as infrequent as the lockups I normally get.
m
l
October 21, 2012 6:58:38 AM

Hello, just thought i'd add my 2 cents to the debate.

After going through the various fixes mentioned, i've narrowed the problem (for me anyway) down to the included Asrock Sound Blaster card. As soon as I removed it from the computer and disabled it in BIOS, my freezing problems disappeared.

Im not sure whether it was an over heating problem because when i was installing the card to start with, I thought Asrock was stupid to leave so little space between a large graphics card in PCI-e slot 1 and the Sound Blaster card in slot 3.

Any way i've had it with this motherboard. I've just ordered an Intel DX79SR as a replacement, and as punishment i'm rebuilding the Asrock Extreme9 into a computer for my parents :D 
m
l
!