2 OS, 1 with internet. XP

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Today, I installed a second Windows XP OS because the previous one crashed at startup on normal mode.
The first OS' safe-mode [what I'm using now] uses the same internet / network connection as the normal mode - obviously - which is a D-Link DSL-320B ADSL Modem. On my control panel's 'network connections' I could usually see both a 1394 gigabit connection - which I don't and never have used - and my modem, my old, safe mode only gives me my LAN Modem connection and my newly installed OS' 'network connections' only gives me the 1394 connection and I cannot find this connection anywhere and neither can Windows; therefore I cannot connect to the internet.
Could this be because of the two OS? I intended to uninstall the first, as soon as the second was working fine?
Thanks everyone, k_

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
How are you connecting your d-link device ? USB or Ethernet ?? How did you setup your modem when you first got it ? Did you do it yourself ? What did you do to connect to the Internet ? Was it always on or did you have to open that lost connection and connect with it ?

Sometimes ISPs provide CDs to get you started with connecting and using your modem.

Generally, it is a good idea to avoid installing twice windows on the same partition, so if you did that, I would suggest starting from scratch format your windows partition after you backed up your files, install windows and try and get that connection going. You could also try and phone your ISP for some live help if you haven't done this before.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Uhm, ethernet.
Step-by-step driver CD; but doesn't detect ethernet cable.
As soon as I installed the driver it... worked.

I was shieing away from formatting; but is it possible to choose which partition you install to, or must it go to C: drive?
I will format then.

Your new installation was a few drivers short of a load, including the 1394 and ethernet. Now you have the latter installed, it's working. It's better if you can format the entire drive and re-partition before installing of XP. You'll have the opportunity to partition as you wish as part of eth installation process and if you have enough space, allow at least 40 Gb (40,000) for the Operating System. Other partitions can be for storage as required.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hai, I reformatted, lost all interent connection; my motherboard ethernet port controller was, uh, confused so I reinstalled it's driver. :]