Password Length Error

royjacob

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I am living in the basement of a house, the Netgear Wireless Router is upstairs, WEP encrypted security and I have no physical access to it.

I am running XP HOME SP2 on a Dell Latitude using a DWL 650 Dlink network adapter card (latest driver) and trying to connect.. it gives me this message...

The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or
10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

ok. So here is my data:

SSID BELL75
Password Afzal555

How would I enter this password?

Please reply using this example.
Thanks.

p.s. I have a Dell inspiron 1520 running Vista Home and connects seamlessly using above data!

Solution
G
It is possible that the password is correct but a minor difference in the way the two devices translate alphanumeric into hexadecimal is fouling it up. If you could access the router you could copy the hex version and apply that. See if Googling can find you an alpha to hex translator -- that info used to be included in printer manuals, but a long time ago.

Also try switching from using Windows to manage the wireless adapter to using the adapter's own utilities (or vice versa).
G

It is possible that the password is correct but a minor difference in the way the two devices translate alphanumeric into hexadecimal is fouling it up. If you could access the router you could copy the hex version and apply that. See if Googling can find you an alpha to hex translator -- that info used to be included in printer manuals, but a long time ago.

Also try switching from using Windows to manage the wireless adapter to using the adapter's own utilities (or vice versa).

Solution