How To Install Thermalright Silver Arrow On P8P67 Pro?

sub101

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo and Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler
and am alittle confused to how to install it?

The Asus P8P67 Pro has 1x CPU Connector so Im just wondering if Im answering this right do I need a mobo with 2x cpu connectors?
for the thermalright silver arrow since it has 2 fans?

Still new to the building a PC so any help would be appreciated
Thanks.

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
The manufacturer instructions don't mention anything at all about connecting the fans... urgghhh. I have never worked with a two fan CPU cooler before, but I have used cooler fans before which weren't even connected to the motherboard cpu fan connector (ie. just connected via an adapter to a molex connector). Even if you only have the one CPU fan connector you should have extra 3-pin fan connectors elsewhere on the board you could connect the second fan to. Looking at pics of the P8P67 Pro online I can see 'cha_fan1' near top left of the board (just right of bluetooth adapter on backpanel). It is a 4 pin connector but it is still compatible with 3-pin. You can use it and the standard CPU connector to get both fans up and running. The only thing will be that in BIOS your 2nd fan speed will be controlled as a chassis fan. Don't worry about it too much, in other systems I haven't had long enough fan connectors to get them all to their right place, and just configured it in bios so that they all ran at my desired speeds. Make sure just to check that the 2nd fan is ramping up in speed when you put the system under load before trying any serious overclocking.
Hope this helps!

sub101

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Do you think its best to return this mobo and going for a different one?
or you think using the cha_fan would be sufficient?

Im just thinking wont I need the other 4pin / 3 pin adaptors for something else?

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

No, I don't think it is worth returning it as there are very few (if any?) mobo's which will have multiple cpu fan headers. For instance the top of the range Asus P67 mobo just adds an extra Chassis fan header (2x overall). The big issue with returning it is that there is usually a restocking fee charged to you by the retailer. What type of case are you going to be using? Do you have an exhaust fan in the top of the case which will need to connect to the cha_fan header? or is there enough cable length on the fan to reach one of the other fan headers (like on lower corners of the board). I would hook it all up and see. Worst case scenario, you will need to get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189119&cm_re=3_pin_fan_adapter-_-12-189-119-_-Product
I'm pretty sure $3.50 will be cheaper than a restocking fee plus postage on a mobo!
Don't freak out that this is not the 'official solution' because the more I've looked into this for you the more I've realized there aren't any drawbacks to plugging the 2nd fan into the chassis header. It is how the manufacturer assumes you will do it. Give it a go, and if you really want to be super careful, you can just use a fan speed controller like: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php or the inbuilt software from asus (I forget what they use these days, it will be in the manual).
Good luck ;)

sub101

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Im going to be using a NZXT Phantom. It has an exhaust fan on the top

Ill give it ago conecting it up and see how it turns out, thanks alot curryj02 And your right worst case I just buy one of those connectors which isnt much anyway.