Fixed bent pin on phenom ii x6 1090T....Now what?

cjk813

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I got a phenom ii x6 1090T from a friend that messed it up pretty badly. The front 4 rows were almost completely bent. I spent a few hours working on it and it's now working. I'm not saying this to brag, but to emphasize the extent of the damage because now i'm unsure if it's going to be stable. By this I mean i'm not sure if just because it's working now that it's going to continue to work. I plan to sell the build that I put this processor in, but don't want to if it's just going to die in a few days. If anyone else has dealt with processor repair to this extent, please let me know what the outcome was. Thanks.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
A lot of pins don't serve anything, so chances are that the broken pin was one of those. Anyways bent pins is usually not a problem since it's easy to repair it. Usually I do this with my door's key ^^ Never tried a phenom II x6 though. Guess I will need to use a better tool than my keys in the future since circuitry does get smaller and smaller.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Don't worry about it. Bent pins won't really compromise the CPU at all so long as they are making connections. If they weren't it wouldn't work, so you really have nothing to worry about. The CPU should all clock the same anyways, transistor performance should be wholly unaffected.
I have straightened so many pins on so many processors. The trick is to look down the isles and rows!

Askura_one

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I just got one, brand new and on removing one of the pins bent! :??:
I bent it back but I was wondering...
It shouldn't weaken it too much bending it back should it?
They won't break off when putting into the new motherboard will they?
Thanks! :D

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I'm typing on a X4 940 that got LOTS of pins bent when switching mobos. It took a good while with a sewing needle. That was two years ago.

Doing it a few times should be ok but you still have to be careful. If you sit there and bend it back and forth over and over then the pin will eventually weaken and break.

decode33

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I had a amd k6 proccessor wich I colored with black marker. It looked bad so I washed it with soap in my sink, dried it and put it back. This was five years ago and the computer is still working.

Oh yeah? I tiled my roof with 386SX processors using the pins to secure them, It leaked, so i took them off, straightened the pins and put them back in Socket 7 motherboards, coloured them in with texta, took a dump on them to act as thermal paste, put on a heatsink, pissed all over them for water cooling, and overclocked them to 500MHz. That was 10 years ago and they STILL WORK!