Sign in with
Your question

Have a question about prosesor compatibility.

Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2011 11:05:09 PM

I was thinking about starting saving money for a gaming desktop, either cyberpower or homebuilt, but with the homebuilt i was thinking about prosesors to use, i came across something with intel xeon server prosesor. I have really only paid attention to the i5 and i7 prosesors as option for this pc i might eventually make, but could a server prosesor work in a gaming rig? or a regular computer at all? How powerful are these things, anyway? Should i even bother thinking about this or is it something cheaper or even do-able?
a c 113 à CPUs
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2011 12:57:20 AM

You can't use a Xeon processor unless you buy a compatible motherboard. Xeon processors are not faster than their desktop equivalent, but they support ECC memory and most (check the specs at ark.intel.com) can be used on dual socket motherboards which are great for a server, but not the best for gaming.
m
l
August 20, 2011 12:52:56 PM

oh, okay, i was thinking since im pretty sure that servers take a desent amount of speed an power that maybe it woul dbe a viable alternative cpu thst may cost more (im not sure about that part either) and do a similar job, or whether they are optimized for servers and would even work at all for gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2011 1:23:25 PM

They'll work on a compatible motherboard, but you gain nothing on a gaming system.
m
l
August 20, 2011 5:18:22 PM

well if the prosesor is the brain isnt a server cpu set up for servers? so would it even work in a regular computer at all? i get what you have said just curious cuz its kinda interesting.
m
l
August 20, 2011 5:53:28 PM

Most higher end desktop motherboards, historically, would support the server variety of the desktop cpus in said socket, though unofficially.

The idea of server chips in gaming rigs, going back to the opterons in socket 939, was that they were higher binned to endure in an enterprise environment. This gave them an edge in overclocking when compared to their desktop brethren.

Now with 1155 you can only overclock K models so the argument for buying a 1155 xeon and putting it in your motherboard is rather moot, since they don't come in the K variety that i am aware of.

Would a 1155 desktop board post with a 1155 xenon? maybe, but what is the incentive for trying other then idle curiosity.

m
l
!