Sign in with
Your question

What is the best non gaming card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2011 4:58:29 PM

With so many cards out there I am completely lost, I have a few 22 inch viewsonic with DVI. I am looking for a good card for 1 computer and another card for another computer that I can hook up 2 monitors to, I would like to be able to swap screens back and forth on the double monitor card and be able to run at 1680X1050 on both cards.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your help.

More about : gaming card

a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
March 15, 2011 10:00:48 PM

HD 5550 or HD 5570 should be fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2011 10:11:23 PM

^+1 either would be a good choice, for real light gaming (if you decide to) get the 5570, also the 5570 is usually about the same price so might as well go with the 5570
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 2:12:29 PM

Tanks.

How about a dual monitor card, one that can swap files back and forth between monitors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 2:14:10 PM

yeah pretty much any card can do that, 5570 supports one dvi and one vga or hdmi
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:44:14 PM

Thanks for your help.
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:48:44 PM

I see tD5570 is made by a few companies, are they all the same?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 2:52:44 PM

^in a way, different companies make different design and clock speeds, but by this card it's not important , just in case you need , best are Asus, Gigabyte and MSI, cause they have best coolers/warranty/clocks
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:55:34 PM

I meant 5570
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 16, 2011 2:57:44 PM

An nvidia card like the gt 210 would be more stable because you would less likely have driver issues though I still think that the 5570 would be a better choice because you can have more simultaneous displays
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 2:58:58 PM

yeah like shrkbay said any manufacturer will do for this level of card, but the best ones tend to be asus, gigabyte and msi... personally for this level of card I'd go for the cheapest, although if you can find a top name for cheap I'd pick that, where are you shopping?
m
l
March 16, 2011 3:00:38 PM

I am looking for the lowest prices as we speak. Newegg has MSI for $64.99 with FS.
m
l
March 16, 2011 4:19:53 PM

What is the difference between the HD5550 and HD5570?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 4:21:01 PM

performance, but not big
m
l
March 16, 2011 4:22:59 PM

nks for all your help, I ordered one HD5550 and one HD 5570 for both computers.
m
l
March 16, 2011 4:28:35 PM

CEEYAD1 said:
nks for all your help, I ordered one HD5550 and one HD 5570 for both computers.

I hope you were able to get the deal at Tiger Direct. Enjoy!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 5:13:05 PM

you ordered two cards for each computer? why? hope your not planning on crossfiring them that would be a horrible idea just to let you know :) 
m
l
March 16, 2011 5:24:59 PM

I have 2 computers that I wanted to use a card instead of the on board video, one computer I wanted to use dual monitors on I ordered the 5570 and the other is just for everyday use I ordered the 5550.

Thanks for asking, you guys have been very helpfull.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 6:14:56 PM

Did you confirm that your PSU has the power required for both cards? The cards don't consume a lot of power (about 40w at peak 3d usage) but some systems are sold with little headroom on the power supply.
m
l
March 16, 2011 6:20:40 PM

I have a 750W ps.
m
l
March 16, 2011 6:24:00 PM

CEEYAD1 said:
I have a 750W ps.

Yeah, chances are you'll be just fine. (although someone is bound to mention that total watts doesn't equal blah, blah...12V rail :p  )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 6:48:26 PM

I just want to mention that total watts doesn't equal blah, blah, blah.... 12v rail.
m
l
March 16, 2011 9:21:29 PM

rockyjohn said:
I just want to mention that total watts doesn't equal blah, blah, blah.... 12v rail.

:sol: 
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:58:48 PM

I installed the 5570 in one computer and that went fine, I just tried to install the 5550 in my other computer and noticed with the card installed the computer does not boot up and with the card out it boots up fine, I have a coolmax 600 PS, is the PS the problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2011 8:01:10 PM

coolmax psus are crap can you try the 5550 on your other machine? I would say its probly your psu if the gpu works in your machine with the 5570 currently
m
l
March 23, 2011 8:34:30 PM

guess it must the ps, I installled the 5550 in my other pc that has a 500 w ps and it worked fine, my other pc supposidly has a 750w ps and it can't handle it. I have a question, I ran the performance test on my pc with the 5550 to see how it compares to the 5570 and the #'s with the 5550 were higher than the 5570, I thought the 5570 was supposed to have better performance. What is a good inexpensive PS?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2011 8:52:25 PM

coolmax psus are crap sorry man ive used them and been dissapointed with them in the past, they are garbage, it really is worth it to get a quality unit

yeah get a new psu and you will be fine neither of those cards are very demanding, I would recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

does the computer that you installed the 5550 on have a better cpu? there are a lot of contributing factors here like resolution etc, but yeah the 5570 is supposed to be slightly better performance but they are both going to be pretty low end for gaming imo... also what performance test are you running, WEI is not a good evaluator of gpus..
m
l
March 24, 2011 2:06:14 PM

I installed the 5550 on the computer that had the 5570 and I was curious to the performance compared to the 5570 so I ran the performance checker on win 7 and the 5550 was 5 points higher on graphics and 1 point higher on gaming graphics.

Is this a good deal for $170.00 with shipping, I was looking to add another computer at my office and I did not want to spend too much money:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M52 8113 Desktop Computer - Intel Pentium 4 519 3.06GHz, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, Combo, Windows XP Pro (Off-Lease)

Thanks for all your help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 7:54:27 PM

kind of expensive for old junk, you could build an office pc likely faster and cheaper, personally I'd look elsewhere for a used pc, and imo it will not be hard to find one for around 200 that will easily surpass the pentium 4 machine, even for an office pc these days I'd gp fpr a low end amd dual core with 2 gigs of ram_ honestly I would not buy that, not a smart buy (even for a low end office pc) imo
m
l
March 24, 2011 8:15:57 PM

I really gotta point out the best warranty is XFX since you can replace you're heatsink etc with out loss of warranty and its a double life time warranty so it transfers if you sell the card, im not 100% sure but i do not think this is true of asus.

And as for the coolers a big chunk of ASUS/MSI cards are reference cards and have a cooler designed by ATI/AMD as i recall.

And honestly is it ok to be calling this and that garbage and junk? sounds like slander against a company and coulda swore i just read that you are not to trash talk of sorts in the forum rules.

Final point to make get the 750 WATT psu tested it might be having issues like OV, It's worth knowing because if the PSU is at fault and OV it could damage you're computer.

My friend who has two 5850 Black editions in crossfire had issues with his TT Toughpower 750 where it was OV and his cards wouldn't boot because of the power draw we would have to manually reseat the cpu to cause the board to do a full reset.

So my main worrie is an OV supply that might be damaging your components and you don't even realise it.

Hopefully this helps in some small way
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 8:46:42 PM

^^

There is nothing wrong with calling a P4 junk PC that someone is trying to rip the OP off with by selling it to him for $170, I will call that Pentium 4 junk all day, sure it can serve its purpose as an office PC but if you got offended by that then maybe this forum isnt for you, I will bash and slander companies that I don't like all day long, that is my opinion and I'm helping people by providing a fair assessment, brand worshiping is not a prerequisite either, you are quite wrong about ASUS and MSI being mostly reference cards in fact MSI and ASUS are both known for their aftermarket designs, reference models are good but at times fall short of some of MSI's best work (like in the case of the Twin Frozr II)

C'mon you would honestly pay 170 for that pentium 4? The OP asked an honest question but at the same time I would want anyone to get the idea that it was a good deal..

Furthermore, Thermaltake and Coolmax PSUs are crap, anyone with a high end (even a high-end-budget setup should have enough sense to go with a XFX, Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair PSU.

Bottom line, the OP should get a new psu as well, its obviously not delivering the specs it should and Ultra psus are suspect to say the least, not something that it is smart to go cheap on.
m
l
March 24, 2011 9:00:03 PM

I hear ya on the PSU defenitly dont disagree there but i wasnt refering to calling the P4 garbage i was refering to slandering TT and Coolmax etc.

Reguardless look at your own specs.... hmm neither MSI or asus ooooh XFX and HIS yeah thats my point :) 

And reguardless I'm not gonna get into a contest with you on this you're own specs kinda prove my point.

And hmm forum not for me maybe you're right this doesnt seem the place for someone with 15+ years of experiance in the field and works as an active IT consultant/server technician to be maybe I need to find some place that is more grown up and doesnt slander this and that.

I must point out though what you do for a hobbie is what i get paid a lot for :)  cheers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2011 11:47:40 PM

lol have fun being a technician, how do my specs prove your point?? I have a P2 955 @ 4.0ghz and 6870 crossfire (which is ideal for gaming) which is what I need... Thermaltake and Coolmax are *** brands_ period not that I havent used a crappy psu in the past, but now I avoid them, I'm glad you got your GED and have a tech job, good for you

"this doesnt seem the place for someone with 15+ years of experiance in the field and works as an active IT consultant/server technician to be maybe I need to find some place that is more grown up and doesnt slander this and that. "

FAIL!
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:16:51 PM

lol cool mouthy lil kid either way man your a hobbiest so im done dealing with ya :)  not worth my time
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 1:43:08 PM

Yeah come on here and brag that you have a tech job, I work for google, I have a Computer Science degree from Cal Berkeley, I'm not on here name dropping so I'll just leave it at that.
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:21:12 PM

You have none of those my friend your profile states hobbie of building computers :)  you are just some mouthy kid that flames on forums so to be honest i would expect you to be working somewhere with a flipper.

And if you truely worked for google someone would have better specs then you ;) 

cheers man do yourself a favour and go read the forum rules slandering companys and flaming people is directly against the forum rules but hey someone from google should be able to read rules right?

Cheers
m
l
March 25, 2011 7:30:48 PM

I just installed my new Antec 380 and I am still having the same problem, when I bootup I get nothing on the monitor, the monitor led does not even turn on with the HD5550 and HD5570 and I know both cards work. Whern I take out the video card and use the onboard video it works fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2011 5:15:42 AM

jjb8675309 said:
lol have fun being a technician, how do my specs prove your point?? I have a P2 955 @ 4.0ghz and 6870 crossfire (which is ideal for gaming) which is what I need... Thermaltake and Coolmax are *** brands_ period not that I havent used a crappy psu in the past, but now I avoid them, I'm glad you got your GED and have a tech job, good for you

"this doesnt seem the place for someone with 15+ years of experiance in the field and works as an active IT consultant/server technician to be maybe I need to find some place that is more grown up and doesnt slander this and that. "

FAIL!

Lol when I first read this I thought P2 was Pentium 2 and then I saw 955,

I have a Pentium 2 PC with 64MB RAM, I used to play NFS on it when I was 5/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2011 2:02:36 PM

HA, yeah well according to our resident "tech" my rig sucks, Ive actually abandoned my 6870s and got a single 570, and OC'ed it to 580 levels, I'm much happier now, crossfire drivers.

Whatever happened to Road Rash? that game was the *** back in the day, EA needs to remake that bc I always remember that being more fun than any NFS game :) 
m
l
March 27, 2011 3:47:17 PM

Anyone have any idea to my problem?

I just installed my new Antec 380 and I am still having the same problem, when I bootup I get nothing on the monitor, the monitor led does not even turn on with the HD5550 and HD5570 and I know both cards work. Whern I take out the video card and use the onboard video it works fine.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 4:02:33 PM

have you installed the new psu properly? does the system run without the video cards and the new psu? PSUs are usually not DOA but in your case it might be, overall you are going to have to use some deductive reasoning
m
l
March 27, 2011 4:18:24 PM

The computer boot up and works fine with the new PS except when I install the video cards either the 5570 or 5550 the computer will not bootup with the video cards installed, I had a spare mother board that I installed thinking it might be the pci slot but the same thing happened no bootup with the video cards works perfect without the cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 4:20:54 PM

hmmm.. and what happens when you install the gpus with your old power supply? If you are sure the gpus work fine then I'd return the PSU, because it going to be one of the other...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 4:21:57 PM

thats strange bc neither of those cards should have any real psu requirements but your problem is kind of hard to diagnose, maybe just return everything...
m
l
March 27, 2011 6:05:12 PM

I replaced the MB with another identical MB that I had as a spare and no change, without the video card it will bootup fine with the video card it will not bootup. I did a search online and found one person with the same MB as mine having the exact same problem:

My mother board is D915GEV when I connect inno3d Geforce 9400GL 1 GB video card to PCI-E slot and start my computer then computer does not boot neither it turn on the monitor. But in the same system if I install Geforce 9500GL 512 MB then the system works fine.
Is the card not compatible with my system or 1GB graphics memory is not supported by my mother board?

Do I need to enable the PCI E slot through bios?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 6:40:29 PM

what is the make and model of your motherboard, and your full system specs please.... for that matter, it sounds like the card is not compatible with your motherboard...
m
l
March 27, 2011 6:54:19 PM

The MB is an Intel D915GEV, all I have is HD and a couple of DVD players and 3G of ram. How can I check to see if the card is not compatible with my MB?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 7:06:09 PM

just looked up your motherboard specs, not sure but I think you have a pci-e 1.0 and the card you bought only supports a 2.0 lane, although I know in some cases the 2.0 cards work in the 1.0 slots but that might be the issue if its not even posting with the card in..

1. You know the gpus work
2. You know the psu works

conclusion:

you might have to just make some returns and get something that is compatible or better yet build a low end dual core desktop to house the video card...

that is about all I can tell you short of having your rig right in front of me, the problem seems to be the incompatibility of your motherboard... you did say that neither card worked, correct? if so its gotta be that dang pci-e lane that holding you back
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:01:13 AM

What is a god inexpensive video card that will work with my MB? This is a computer I use at work.
m
l
!