AMD Phenom II X2 555 unlocking core problems

ukolil

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello

Few a months ago I built my first PC, I wanted a quad core CPU, but decided on the AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition processor because there are 2 dormant cores.
Also I bought the Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB mother board because this has got core unlocker switch and unlocker features.

This is my build:

• Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB

• AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 6MB Cache

• Tuniq TX3 High Performance Thermal Grease

• Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

• Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express

• Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB

• Western Digital 500GB (second hard drive)

• Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 Unbuffered

• XFX HD 5450 650MHz 512MB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card

My build works fine, but now I want to unlock the 2 dormant cores!

When I Press 4 (or use the core unlocker switch), on boot, it recognises the CPU as 4 cores, but instead of booting up, to the OS, the PC just restarts over and over again???

I have checked in bios and it recognises the CPU as 4 cores.
I first thought it was the lack of power, because at first I was using a 480W PSU and the stock cooler (running at 45 Celsius). I changed the PSU to 700W and the cooler to Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 (now running at 34 Celsius)

This has not changed a thing, after BIOS, it just restarts over an over again instead of booting into the operating system!

Instead I have over cocked it from 3.2GHz to 4.2GHz, and its running smoothly.

Please can some one help me get the other 2 cores because I am not deciding to give up yet!

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i have the same problem with my new Sabertooth 990fx. Different error code though reads "cpu is unable to recognize ASUS core-unlocker". is there something i can do to fix this error from popping up and unlocking at least 1 more core?

Most of these processors have deactivated cores for a reason. That reason is usually a defect. They are not working because they are defective.

Now some were perfectly good but were deactivated to meet dual core demand. But most have defective cores.

Now you might try downclocking when all 4 are active. It may be that one or both cores wont run at 3.2 but might run at a slower speed.