Z68XP-UD3 firmware update with i7-3770K

Last response: in Motherboards
May 7, 2012 11:13:10 PM

This is my first PC build:

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Intel i7-3770K
Corsair HX650W PSU
2x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz RAM

I had this all assembled and tried to boot into the bios, system would turn on for a couple seconds, then off, would repeat this process indefinitely.

I did some research and came to the conclusion that I needed to update the motherboard firmware to F10, mine must be still at F8.

Do I really need a Sandy Bridge CPU to update my motherboard's firmware to be compatible with my Ivy Bridge CPU?
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2012 6:35:04 PM

Unfortuinately, the answer is yes. You need to boot with a SB processor and update the BIOS so you can run the IB processor.
m
l
September 3, 2012 5:46:38 PM

cfillak said:
This is my first PC build:

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Intel i7-3770K
Corsair HX650W PSU
2x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz RAM

I had this all assembled and tried to boot into the bios, system would turn on for a couple seconds, then off, would repeat this process indefinitely.

I did some research and came to the conclusion that I needed to update the motherboard firmware to F10, mine must be still at F8.

Do I really need a Sandy Bridge CPU to update my motherboard's firmware to be compatible with my Ivy Bridge CPU?

Hello,
This is very worrying. I have the exact same motherboard and was just about to order a Core i5 3550 cpu - an Ivy bridge processor. Is there really no way of determining which level of BIOS is installed (I assume BIOS and firmware are synonymous terms). Looking at their (Gigabyte's) BIOS Download support chart here:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

versions f4, f5 and f7 relate to support for 22nm cpus, but f9 is the first to explicitly mention Ivy Bridge. A thoroughly confusing situation.

I have found Gigabyte's technical support absolutely pathetic (replied to another query after 2 weeks, asking me to resubmit as they were very busy...). How did you resolve the problem? (Incidentally, the cheapest Sandy Bridge processor I can find is a Celeron g440 at about £29). I would be very interested to hear of your experience.
Regards,
Tony
m
l
!