Looking at new CPU, help appreciated

JOD

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
So i've had my fairly decent PC build for about 4 years now, and since i've had it the CPU has just not really been up to par. Even though it faired pretty well, it was just not powerful enough, even compared to my other fairly low specs. Im currently using an AMD Phenom x4 9550 2.2ghz Quad Core processer, and since im on a low budget cant buy a new motherboard and a new intel processer, was looking for another, more up to date AMD CPU. I was thinking mainly of the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz CPU, as it seemed like just what i was looking for. I'm mainly a gamer so it's my main concern that i can see better FPS in games such as Starcraft 2 during bigger battles and other games where frame rates will drop. So, the question is is that CPU good? Is there any other ones you would recommend? Thanks in advanced.

Other PC Specs:

Motherboard:M4A785-M Asus Motherboard

Memory: 2x2 GB DDR2 RAM

Video Card: ATI XFX Radeon 4870

HDD: 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM Drive

Solution
Hold on there your Motherboard will support all the latest AMD CPUs as long as you flash the BIOS to the latest version this includes your PhenomII X4 965 you were looking at,

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#CPUS

The fact that your board is a DDR2 board means nothing to your CPU choice.

If you buy and install a 965 like you want to ( after flashing to the latest BIOS) you will notice a hell of a difference from your old CPU as the new one is much better in games, i would also reccomend you buying a coolermaster hyper 212 to keep it nice and cool.

Uther39

Distinguished
Hold on there your Motherboard will support all the latest AMD CPUs as long as you flash the BIOS to the latest version this includes your PhenomII X4 965 you were looking at,

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#CPUS

The fact that your board is a DDR2 board means nothing to your CPU choice.

If you buy and install a 965 like you want to ( after flashing to the latest BIOS) you will notice a hell of a difference from your old CPU as the new one is much better in games, i would also reccomend you buying a coolermaster hyper 212 to keep it nice and cool.

Solution