Solved

Gpu dependant on chip-set??

so a lil while ago i was told by a freind that i should not buy a HD6*** card with my chip-set because it would be a waste of money... so im wondering if thats true. When looking to upgrade your card, does it matter what chip-set you have??? Currently I am running a ASUS M4A785TD E-evo mobo with a PII965BE and a HD5770(juniper). The card im looking to upgrade to is a HD6870 or maybe even the HD6970. Please share any info u have about this topic!!!! THX!!!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dependant chip
  1. Best answer
    1) The HD5870 is better at everything than HD6870 with the exception of tesselation, apparently.
    2) Did he give you a reason as to why upgrading to the HD6xxx series would be a waste? I can't see one, sure the 785G chipset is ageing but it wouldn't 'bottleneck'.
  2. No, it doesn't matter at all, and even if it did your board has an ATI/AMD chipset. Your friend is either messing with you or doesn't know what he's talking about.
  3. benski said:
    No, it doesn't matter at all, and even if it did your board has an ATI/AMD chipset. Your friend is either messing with you or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Precisely.
  4. thats wat i thought, but i couldnt find any info on it on the interweb.... he told me that i would need a newer chipstet to take advantage of the 6series cards, he didnt say why tho. thats y i thought he didnt have his facts strait...... Also, if i DO upgrade to a 6series card, to get the most potential out of the gpu, should i upgrade anything else?? i have a coolermaster gx650, so i think im ok on power, but is there anything else??? thx for the replies fellas:)
  5. There are rare instances where people have trouble with PCI-E 2.1 cards in PCI-E 1.0 slots so try and get a card that is labeled as PCI-E 2.0. Bandwidth is not an issue though PCI-E 1.0 x16 will yield the same performance as PCI-E 2.0 x16. Your PSU should be fine, hard to know if you would want to upgrade anything else since you haven't said what you have ;)
  6. thx 4 clearin that up guys. @ benski, made new thread wit my rigs specs.
  7. Best answer selected by hooru.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Chip Graphics