DSLR or Nikon Coolscan V ED Scanner

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 27, 2005 8:34:23 AM

I already own a Fuji 40i Finepix digital camera and am quite content
with it. I also own a Canon EOS 300V SLR camera with a couple of zoom
lenses with it. My question is this, should I buy a DSLR camera ( I
have my eye on the Canon EOS 300D) or should I stick with my EOS 300V
and just buy the Nikon Coolscan V ED Scanner. Unless of course someone
can put forward a good argument for an even better scanner! My budget
in either case is approximately £550.00p.

Thanks to all who reply.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:01:10 AM

Do you shoot for fun or professionally ?

Either way .. grab the DSLR :)

=bob=

"Kamal" <kamal.a1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I already own a Fuji 40i Finepix digital camera and am quite content
> with it. I also own a Canon EOS 300V SLR camera with a couple of zoom
> lenses with it. My question is this, should I buy a DSLR camera ( I
> have my eye on the Canon EOS 300D) or should I stick with my EOS 300V
> and just buy the Nikon Coolscan V ED Scanner. Unless of course someone
> can put forward a good argument for an even better scanner! My budget
> in either case is approximately £550.00p.
>
> Thanks to all who reply.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:01:11 AM

Yes, actually digital cameras in the long run can be cheaper.Imagine all the
films you are NOT going to develop, and all these prints you are NOT going
to print, by getting the digital.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> Do you shoot for fun or professionally ?
>
> Either way .. grab the DSLR :)
>
> =bob=
>
> "Kamal" <kamal.a1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >I already own a Fuji 40i Finepix digital camera and am quite content
> > with it. I also own a Canon EOS 300V SLR camera with a couple of zoom
> > lenses with it. My question is this, should I buy a DSLR camera ( I
> > have my eye on the Canon EOS 300D) or should I stick with my EOS 300V
> > and just buy the Nikon Coolscan V ED Scanner. Unless of course someone
> > can put forward a good argument for an even better scanner! My budget
> > in either case is approximately £550.00p.
> >
> > Thanks to all who reply.

Related resources
February 28, 2005 4:01:12 AM

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
> Yes, actually digital cameras in the long run can be cheaper.Imagine all
the
> films you are NOT going to develop, and all these prints you are NOT going
> to print, by getting the digital.
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
> major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

That's an interesting way of putting it. "All the prints you are NOT going
to print."
While I know exactly what you mean (why print the bad stuff?), it sounds
like he'd
save even more by giving up photography altogether!

George
(electrical engineer)

PS--Good luck with your studies.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:06:15 AM

I shoot around 1000 frames / month using my DSLR [if I have time and
object to shoot] ...
of it .. I got around 10% success rate. 100 frames / month that's worth
printing ... so I only spent AUD 40 for prints [4r size]

With film .. say I shoot 1 roll / week ... ~ 4 rolls / month x [ $13 pro
film and $20 for develop n prints ] == $132
+ around 30 mins / roll to digitize all the result using my Minolta DS3
slide scanner.

With that .. I save around $100 per month .... and over a year .. I saved
$1200 at least.
Too bad I haven't earn a penny from my DSLR ... but at least .. I learned
alot in a short time :)

btw the $ here is Australian Dollar .. 1 aud ~ 0.78 usd

=bob=

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
> Yes, actually digital cameras in the long run can be cheaper.Imagine all
> the
> films you are NOT going to develop, and all these prints you are NOT going
> to print, by getting the digital.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:52:22 AM

kamal.a1@btinternet.com (Kamal) wrote in message news:<f3c9564a.0502270534.7e8b38@posting.google.com>...
> I already own a Fuji 40i Finepix digital camera and am quite content
> with it. I also own a Canon EOS 300V SLR camera with a couple of zoom
> lenses with it. My question is this, should I buy a DSLR camera ( I
> have my eye on the Canon EOS 300D) or should I stick with my EOS 300V
> and just buy the Nikon Coolscan V ED Scanner. Unless of course someone
> can put forward a good argument for an even better scanner! My budget
> in either case is approximately £550.00p.
>
> Thanks to all who reply.

Although I've just purchased the Coolscan V I'm going to play devil's
advocate:
if you're happy with the results from the Fuji 401, it seems to me
that you are not driven by the desire for the very superior image
quality which I think you would get from scanning 35mm film, with the
concommitant expense of having to continue purchase and processing
film and so unless like me you have stacks of old negatives and slides
you want to scan,I think you'll be delighted with the results you'd
get from the Canon 300D - someone I know has just made the similar
step from a Fuji (4.2mp)to the Canon and has been highly impressed,
not just by the greater resolution but also by the ability of the
Canon to record subtle variations in skin tones and the like. If you
haven't made your purchase yet, the 300D is now available at under
£500 with the USM lens. If you could stretch your budget, there is of
course the newly announced 350D.
Enjoy your photography:
Tony Napier
!