What RAM?/ toshiba satellite help

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 9:18:48 AM

i recently enquired about upgrading the memory in my toshiba satellite,
it's a couple of years old now and i was advised that there are two
possible types of RAM that my machine might require. How can a relative
novice like myself find out what RAM is in my machine without having to
take it back to the shop with a blank look on my face?

More about : ram toshiba satellite

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 12:18:02 PM

Thanks Barry,
Excuse me for being naive, as you can see from Alan & Tee's helpful
advice - I may have been vague but not so much so that other people
couldn't get their head round it. If I was more technically minded I
guess I wouldn't be here - asking these questions.
May 26, 2005 12:44:29 PM

"make.fsnet" <mail@make.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>i recently enquired about upgrading the memory in my toshiba satellite,
> it's a couple of years old now and i was advised that there are two
> possible types of RAM that my machine might require. How can a relative
> novice like myself find out what RAM is in my machine without having to
> take it back to the shop with a blank look on my face?

Go to www.toshibausa.com and do a search for your model. There will be
options to download driver updates, software updates, tech support, specs,
etc. Go to the detailed specs and under System Characteristics you should
see Memory. It'll tell you there how much memory the computer can take and
what kind. Example for a 2430-S255:

512mb Expandable to 1024mb; SODIMM expansion memory
128/256/512mb PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 2.5V

The above means it shipped with 512mb but can handle up to 1gb. With the
512mb in the first slot the second slot can take either a 128mb stick, 256mb
stick or 512mb stick.

--
Tara
a b D Laptop

In article <1117109928.270386.174610@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mail@make.fsnet.co.uk says...
> i recently enquired about upgrading the memory in my toshiba satellite,
> it's a couple of years old now and i was advised that there are two
> possible types of RAM that my machine might require. How can a relative
> novice like myself find out what RAM is in my machine without having to
> take it back to the shop with a blank look on my face?

Or go to http://www.crucial.com/uk and use the memory ID application on
there.

--
AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
(Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 6:09:58 PM

There are multiple type of memory (more than two). It could be EDO,
SDRAM or DDR (and perhaps, in the most recent models DDR2), and each of
those come in multiple speed grades.

Saying "Toshiba Satellite" is about like saying "Chevrolet". It could
be anything from a 1960's Corvair to a 2005 Corvette (there have been
over 500 "Toshiba Satellite" notebooks). We need specific, exact model
numbers.

You can download a data sheet for your computer from the toshiba web
site, or most memory sellers have "configurators" where you plug in the
laptop model and it tells you what you need. But, again, "Toshiba
Satellite" isn't going to cut it.

!