Computer Freezes on i7 2600k , 6950cf still freezing

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I built my rig a month ago, I had no freezing problem on SC2, Brink and etc. But recently when I eventually starting to play bfbc2 again,(u can say first time on this rig) My computer froze on me, I played it on triple monitor eyefinity, and 1 monitor thinking it was overheating problem. I didn't OC anything yet, except my cpu seem be oc by itself by to at 3.5ghz. I disabled ppl overvoltage, set BIOS on normal, set Ram mhz and latency

CPU spec:
i7 2600k at 3.5ghz (read in BIOS) 1.35v
p8p67 deluxe
16gb g.skill 1600mhz 1.5v LA 9-9-9-24
2 x 6950 2gb in CF 800/1250 (reference card, non-flashed or OC)
OCZ ZX 1250w gold
1 vertex 3 120gb, 1 vertex 2 120gb, 1 - 1tb caviar black, 1 - 1tb hitachi (bfbc2 was running from this HD), 1 - 2tb hitachi,
BIOS 1305
CCC 11.3 2D : 8.01 3D: 7.14
win 7 64bit
MY cpu froze on
My cpu usage dipped before it froze at 28%, it was running around 50%-60% - 50C , min 29C ,max 61C
GPU usuage also dipped before it froze at 34%/32%, it was running around 40%/50% - 49C/53C

The freeze usually occur 30min - 1hr estimate in bfbc2, but in SC2 i played for 2hr-3hr it doesnt freeze.

Also my game had random but rarely occur black flash while in-game, i suspect my PSU not getting enough power from the outlet. I didn't OC yet, bec i'm waiting for a replacement part for my WC set-up :??: . But any advice will be nice :)

Changing it to high performance in the power option didn't fix it=/ still freezed on me

Solution
I know this sounds totally insane, but

Start -> Contorl Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options

Setting my Power Options to "High Performance" SOLVED all my OCZ SSD drive problems (booting Windows 7 from the SSD). I don't know if Windows 7 tries to put the drive into an energy saving state or what, but after much googling I discovered this fix and it worked for me.

I was very skeptical and amazed when it fixed it.

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

Hahaha i forgot to put mb (p8p67 deluxe)=P. my vertex 3 is boot drive, my vertex 2 is just to put non-steam game in there. I dont know what u mean *configured correctly* on the ssd =P. I forgot to mention when it froze it was at 3.4gb which looks normal (yes i know 16gb is unnecessary, but i got it for decent price)I'll try with half the RAM and see what happens

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

My vertex 3 still have like 30gb of free space. I removed half the ram, it still freezed on me :??:
I can confirm the black flash are from the cf not a big deal.

How about some testing then? Run Prime95 for a few hours see if that produces a problem. Then run Furmark a while and see if that does anything. Then do both at once. Keep monitoring CPU and GPU temps during these tests of course.

Beyond that make a memtest boot disk and run that overnight.

All the links to these are here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=292686&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

skater44surf

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
This sounds silly but this solves most BattleField Bad Company 2 Issues. What brand is your Onboard Sound? After hours of research I found that the Realtek Audio Chipset had serious Issues with the game on both singleplayer and multiplayer, You could play for 5 minutes or a few hours then the whole game would lock up with the sound looping, if thats the case, Get a Sound Card if you're using Onboard Motherboard Audio and that will fix the issue, I purchased a Asus Xonar Dx PCIe card for around $60 and Haven't had an Issue since. Also google Bluescreen Viewer and download that, Very good for telling you what caused a Bluescreen even if your screen didn't go blue, also check out your Event Viewer to see if any good details leading in there that shows what driver or file caused the crash, and lastly if you find any errors hit up Faultwire.com perfect website I found thats good for diagnosing Bluescreen errors and others, Hope You Fix Your Problem!

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
My sound card is a creative blaster x-fi titanium, I didn't use the onboard sound. Also there wasn't BSOD even though i uncheck auto restart if hardware problem thing. The BSOD viewer didnt read anything.......I ran Prime 95 for 2 hour, nothing happened (my cpu froze at around 30min), running furmark now

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I know this sounds totally insane, but

Start -> Contorl Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options

Setting my Power Options to "High Performance" SOLVED all my OCZ SSD drive problems (booting Windows 7 from the SSD). I don't know if Windows 7 tries to put the drive into an energy saving state or what, but after much googling I discovered this fix and it worked for me.

I was very skeptical and amazed when it fixed it.

Solution

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
rraannddoo,

I forgot to say that I too have your save motherbord (except the evo version, very similar), and I too have the x-fi titanium. I have my SSD connected to the intel (grey) SATA III port on the mobo, with the marvell sata disabled in the bios, also, I have the onbord audio disabled in the bios.

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

lol, that actually fixed it =P, 2 hours in bfbc2 no freezing lawl......thanks!! :lol: :lol:

mmuelle1

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I have the same motherboard and cpu and started having freezing issues about a month ago. I bought the motherboard (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe) in January.
There is an issue with the chipset that controls the SATA devices. This drove me nuts. Asus will replace the board for free.

See this article: http://service.asus.com/notice/

rraannddoo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

ur talking about b3 version, everyone has the b3 now......so do i.....i found the problem it was just that 2.1 msi burner will cause bfcb2 lock up, i just down graded to 2.0 msi burner. My lock up/freeze stop occuring