Acer Z5700 processor upgrade G6950 ---> i7-870 ?

ergodoy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello,

I've got a Z5700 all-in-one that came with a Pentium G6950 2.8 GHz processor.
Looking at their online manual, it looks like it also could take up to an i7-870. I bought the new processor on eBay (used) and put it in. When I try to fire it up, I get a POST error (three short beeps and a long beep) without the screen even firing up. I thought I might be able to fix it by resetting the CMOS, but there's no battery or jumper on the board that I can find, and there's no option for resetting the CMOS from the BIOS.

Any ideas on troubleshooting start up problems?
How can I check the new proc to ensure it's not at fault vs the board not being able to take the new processor

This is the link for the service manual:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2011/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_Z5700_Z5710_20100907.pdf

Thanks,

ERG

Solution
Do you have a discrete graphics card? If not that is the problem since the i7 does not come with integrated graphics like the g6950. I've read that this model only has integrated so this is my first thought.

Off topic, Pentium spans over 15 different sockets and currently denote mid range cpus.
Do you have a discrete graphics card? If not that is the problem since the i7 does not come with integrated graphics like the g6950. I've read that this model only has integrated so this is my first thought.

Off topic, Pentium spans over 15 different sockets and currently denote mid range cpus.

Solution

ergodoy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
"Do you have a discrete graphics card? If not that is the problem since the i7 does not come with integrated graphics like the g6950. I've read that this model only has integrated so this is my first thought."

This may be the issue. There is no discrete graphics card on this system, and the G6950 has integrated graphics while the i7 870 does not.

Since this is an all in one unit, I've got no expansion slots available, but from looking at the service manual, I see that there is a replacement "add on" card for the next model up - the Z5710. I supposed I'll have to install one to see if my new proc will run. Its an MXM3, I just wonder where the slot is for the MXM3 on my motherboard.

Thanks for the tip.

ergodoy

ergodoy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I just wanted to have a little snappier video editing and CD ripping...

Update on the update attempt for anyone thinking of doing this:

The z5700 has no onboard video or MXM slot for a video card, (though the board has the outline printed on it) and relies on the video capability of the processor.

The G6950 has 3MB Cache and runs at 2.8 GHz and integrated graphics while the processors available in the z5710 do not (i5 750, i7 860 and i7 870).

That would explain why my computer wouldn't start when I tried it with the new i7 860 I put in.

Too bad, I was looking forward to 8MB of Cache, the overall speed difference wasn't too much 2.93 GHz vs 2.8 but 8 MB cache and support of multi threading would have been nice. But come to think of it, it looks like full advantage of multi-threading can only be had if the program is specifically written for it, and I can't think of any off hand.

So - I've got a useless new i7 870 processor unless I also switch out the motherboard for that of a 5710 and also put in a video card... Hard to justify switching everything out in a fairly new computer.

If I still need more speed - maybe I'll get an i5 670 (this still has integrated graphics, still a nice jump in speed 3.46 GHz and 4 MB Cache) or maybe try for an i5 680 (still with integrated graphics on the processor, 4 MB Cache and 3.66 GHz)

ERG

TRENDING THREADS