Fire Emblem - game doesn't save!

Guys:

I just picked up a used copy of Fire Emblem from a used video game
store today. It's a fantastic game, except for one thing -- the game
doesn't save! Where you're supposed to save, pressing A (or B) flips
the "save slot" and makes a chime, but nothing happens. It still says
"new game" and then goes on to the next mission. Arrgh!

Since nothing is ever saved, I obviously can't restart, and hitting
"Resume" during a battle takes me back to the first battle as well.
I've gotten up the battle where you need to defend the NPC for seven
turns, and still haven't been able to save my progress.

My question is, is there a certain way to save, or a certain save
point? Or should I just take the cart back to the store?

All help is appreciated...

--Chris

> My question is, is there a certain way to save, or a certain save
> point? Or should I just take the cart back to the store?

The game saves with every single move you do on the battle map, so that
you can't continually save, move, lose and reload. Makes things more
challenging.

This means that the battery in your game module are empty and need to be
replaced.

Now, the game is new, and only remanufactured cheap copies (pirated
versions) have weak or no batteries with them. Newest games do not even
depend on batteries at all, they use Eproms that don't need any battery
power to save your data and virtually last forever.

Check if your game is not original and return it, I'd say. Return it to
the seller in any case, it should have a faulty battery.

Jammet

David Mehrmann wrote:

[snippetisnipp]
> This means that the battery in your game module are empty and need to
> be replaced.

Actually, the game 'Fire Emblem' has no battery, but a FLASH or Eprom
memory chip. (I always open the thing up and check). BUT - flash-chips
have a small chance of failing and stop functioning.

--
Bjørnar
-------

Ah, actually begun an Battery/Flash FAQ - which I couldn't find anywhere
else. Anyone interested in me posting what I've got so far?

--
Bjørnar
-------

Bjørnar Løseth <no@spam.ok> wrote:
> Ah, actually begun an Battery/Flash FAQ - which I couldn't find
> anywhere else. Anyone interested in me posting what I've got so far?

Sure... internal workings of electronics is (are?) always an interesting
read.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

"DeepThought"
> Sure... internal workings of electronics is (are?) always an
> interesting read.

It's not long (yet) but here goes!
------------
-- Battery or Flash Memory --
- the FAQ i couldn't find -
--v.0.1.4

Simply put: This is a listing of games for the Gameboy Advance/SP,
stating whether the game contains a flash/eep-rom or a battery-
maintained memory. The reason for writing this is because I hated the
fact that some games contain a battery that can peter out and destroy my
saves. Opening some of the cartridges I found, luckily, that some of
them contained flash-memory or the likes! Nice! Nuff said.

___________
_/ Copyright \__________________________________________________________
Copyright 2003-2004 Bjørnar Løseth

__________
_/ Versions \___________________________________________________________
0.1.4 - 7th August 2004 - Fire Emblem and Shining Soul 2 added
0.1.3 - 25th April 2004 - Advance Wars 2 added
0.1.2 - 21st March 2004 - Added a game
0.1.1 - 6th May 2003 - Added 3 games
0.1 - 6th April 2003 - First version, containing only the games I
own myself!

__________
_/ The LIST \___________________________________________________________
Advance Wars - Flash memory
Advance Wars 2 - Flash memory
Bomberman Tournament - Battery
Breath of Fire II - Battery
Chu Chu Rocket - Flash memory
Defender of the Crown - Flash memory
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Flash memory
Fire Emblem - Flash memory
F-Zero - Battery
Golden Sun - Flash memory
Golden Sun - Lost Age - Flash memory
Metroid Fusion - Battery
Pokémon - Sapphire - Battery
Shining Soul II - Flash memory
Spyro-Season of Ice - Flash memory
Super Bust-a-move - NO memory
Super Mario Advance - Flash memory

______________
_/ Contact info \_______________________________________________________
As I don't own that many games yet, I need other brave people to open
their game-cartridges, and have a look inside... Please mail me the
details of your games! In the future I would like to base my buys of
games on whether they have flash memory or not...

Send your findings here:

bjornar.loseth@hjemme.no

Copyright 2004 Bjørnar Løseth

--