Sign in with
Your question

X1950 pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2011 10:11:09 AM

hi..

i currently have 2x ati radeon x1950 pros fitted in my pc....

they are both 256mb gddr3 memory and the problem i'm having is that when i enable crossfire my machine freezes up where i then have to manually reboot my pc.

Now first question is that my fans on my gpu cards increase speed just before the freeze up....

secondly i was told that to run crossfire with those cards i would need a psu of 750w. Maybe is that the case?

as i currently have a 600w psu?

i do hope someone can help me........ sapphiretech help and support have stated that to run the named cards i have in crossfire and to ensure no problems then thats what i have to purchase is a 750w psu, but i want to verify it here first with others... I do hope you can help me.. Many thanks

More about : x1950 pro

a c 84 U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 12:34:28 PM

theres no way those cards would need so much juice...
could be though that your psu is toast.
March 16, 2011 7:11:43 PM

well according to sapphiretech..... they reccomend a 600w just for a single card and to run crossfire smoothly a 750w....

this is exactly what they said to me?

Dear Sir
If you can run card individually without problem, then it could be PSU issue. For single card x1950 PSU suggestion, we used to suggest 600W at least. For crossfire mode, 750W at least. You also need to check crossfire bridge and crossfire finger as well. For the swithes, it may designed for NTSC or PAL system. Check this way. Thank you.
Regards

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 8:40:13 PM

What PSU do you have?
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 8:52:37 PM

Try one card at a time in the system, one of them could have gone bad. Run a benchmark like 3DMark on each in turn, don't just plug in and turn on.

On a tangent to this.. a new HD 5670 for $80 will be as fast or faster than your cards now, and will work fine without a PSU upgrade, which will cost the same as a new card. And a 5770 for a bit over $100 will be even better.

I looked up some benchmarks done on the 1950 when it was new, several test systems had it running on a 480 or a 500 watt power supply, so 600 for a single card is a bit high, but every single "recommended" wattage for a card is. The AMD recommendation for the card looks to be 450 watts, but that was from a review, can't find anything official on the vendor site.
March 16, 2011 9:32:57 PM

Embra said:
What PSU do you have?

hi...

i currently have a 600w psu.......
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 9:34:14 PM

I meant some details, specs ...brand???
March 16, 2011 9:34:51 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Try one card at a time in the system, one of them could have gone bad. Run a benchmark like 3DMark on each in turn, don't just plug in and turn on.

On a tangent to this.. a new HD 5670 for $80 will be as fast or faster than your cards now, and will work fine without a PSU upgrade, which will cost the same as a new card. And a 5770 for a bit over $100 will be even better.

I looked up some benchmarks done on the 1950 when it was new, several test systems had it running on a 480 or a 500 watt power supply, so 600 for a single card is a bit high, but every single "recommended" wattage for a card is. The AMD recommendation for the card looks to be 450 watts, but that was from a review, can't find anything official on the vendor site.

hi..

i have currently run all thoses tests with one card at a time as both sapphiretech and msi... the company my mobo from has also suggested that i try the one cad at a time method, but as doing that both cards idividually seem to be phiscally fit and healthy
March 16, 2011 9:38:27 PM

Embra said:
I meant some details, specs ...brand???

EZ COOL 600w
24 pin 12v
2.03 version....

thats all it really says about the power supply
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 2:33:09 PM

Aside from the PSU possible issue, you can try new video drivers for the cards, and chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Maybe a BIOS upgrade could help.

If a software fix does not help you, I'd suggest a new video card instead of a new PSU.
March 17, 2011 4:32:29 PM

i've got the latest bios for my mobo.... but i'm thinking if i contacted msi and suggest that i flash my bios to the first release version, but me doing that if i did would it affect me using my new 1tb hard drive that i just recently fitted?
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 4:41:42 PM

darren2011 said:
i've got the latest bios for my mobo.... but i'm thinking if i contacted msi and suggest that i flash my bios to the first release version, but me doing that if i did would it affect me using my new 1tb hard drive that i just recently fitted?

Ah, did this issue start right after the new drive setup? Try unplugging it. You may have hit the power capacity when you added an extra drive. If the board is less than a few years old it should not need any updates to run the TB drive.
March 17, 2011 4:47:47 PM

hi...

maybe you can look my mobo up....

msi p45 neo2....

it happened with my old 500gig hdd so i took that out completly and put the new 1tb hdd in...

according to msi statistics... my board should support 1tb, however i have the 3.4 version bios and it states that the 3.3 version bios has updates to support the 1000gb hdd which in my books would make it 1tb.....

i've pasted the link so you can examine it yourself to see what you would suggest i do as mis's forum doessnt seem to give a t*ss.

http://eu.msi.com/product/mb/P45-Neo2.html#/?div=BIOS
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 5:09:02 PM

Looks like 3.3 is your best bet for the drive support. So have you thought about just getting one new card to replace your 2 that are acting up? You can probably put the 2 cards on sale separately on craigslist or something, can sell them for 30-40 each I'd think to pay for the new card. Since they both work fine on their own, no issues in selling a faulty product.
March 17, 2011 5:12:50 PM

ok so even tho 3.4 is newer than 3.3 i should flash to 3.3.... but what beats me in the long run is that my drive is working fine against the 3.4 version bios.... i know this is a weird subject but i'm supprised unless it's windows vista with the good ole bug as usuall
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 5:15:49 PM

darren2011 said:
ok so even tho 3.4 is newer than 3.3 i should flash to 3.3.... but what beats me in the long run is that my drive is working fine against the 3.4 version bios.... i know this is a weird subject but i'm supprised unless it's windows vista with the good ole bug as usuall

I did not mean you want to go back to 3.3, just that it would be the oldest one you want to try to fix your system without risking an issue with the hard drive. It "may" cure the dual card issue, but may not. Really your best and probably cheapest bet is to get a new card.
March 17, 2011 5:18:50 PM

ok i think i will look at the 4870 as a friend of mine has 2 of those in his in crossfire and he has no issues can play every game at high detail without fuss...

thank you soo much for your help really appreciated :) 
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 5:28:24 PM

Before going out and buying a 4870, look here for suggetions http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphic...

Don't know what your full system is, but unless you have a top of the line Dual Core CPU and 4 gig of fast RAM or more, you would be wasting money on 2 modern cards. A single card even in the 80-150 range will be a great match for a dual core that's a few years old.
March 17, 2011 9:37:05 PM

this is my system spec????

mobo.... msi p45neo2
psu.... coolmaster 600w
cpu.....intel core2duo @ stockspeed 1.86ghz
memory..... 3x1gig kingston hyperx ram @1066 mhz
video cards... ati radeon x1950 pro @ 256mb x2
HDD ...... samsung spinpoint f1 1tb@ 7200rmp 32mb cache
bios revision......3.4

a c 161 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 12:43:02 PM

With that CPU, a lower end video card will do fine, one of the lower 2 on the link I posted. Unless you want to buy higher and move to a faster system or CPU at some point. I think that dual core is the slowest they have, they scale up to about 3 gig.
!