Sign in with
Your question

5.1 Speakers Not Working Properly

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2011 12:02:13 AM

Hello everyone, my 5.1 speakers seem to be having some issues for a while now and I'm not really sure what to do. I've tried many things, and nothing seems to work.

After searching on Google, I found that my model of speakers are the Z-5300e's. They also come with a controller where I can adjust volume settings. When I do anything that involves sound on my computer, I can never hear out of all my speakers.

I'm not sure what sound card I have, but checking Audio Codecs in System Information I found this : http://i52.tinypic.com/14uyk4w.png

The driver I use came from my motherboard's website (ASUS M4N78 pro), called VIA HD Audio Deck. I think my sound card is integrated into my motherboard, but I'm not entirely sure.

When I use the "Test speakers" function in the sound area of Windows 7 where I can click on each speaker individually to hear a noise to test if they work, I cannot hear my front left and front right speakers. When I click on them, the sound just goes to my back left and back right speakers - back left if I clicked front left, and back right if I clicked front right. In the VIA HD Audio Deck, there is a similar feature, and when I click on my front left and right speakers they don't make noises at all. I keep the settings in VIA HD Audio Deck to 6 speakers, but when I go to 8 and I click the middle left and right speakers, noise comes out of my front left and right speakers. Also, on the logitech controller, there's a button that says Matrix where I believe it allows the sound to emit from all of my speakers at once. When I turn on Matrix, my speakers stop working all together.
I know I'm using an old version of VIA HD Audio Deck because I ran into other issues with the new versions, but I don't believe that could be an issue. I also install drivers from NVidia for my graphic card, and I know it comes with a HD Audio Driver, which may be a problem.

These are pictures of all my Playback devices :
http://i51.tinypic.com/2mdm0ph.png
http://i55.tinypic.com/98egl3.png

This is a picture of my Sound tab inside Device Manager :
http://i54.tinypic.com/2uyog21.png

Any help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.
August 21, 2011 8:09:35 AM

Gah, I hate this problems, as they are typically a setup problem of some sort.

I'm a bit unfamilliar with the Z5300's, but I know they connect via analog, which eliminates the majority of potential [Dolby] issues. So first and formost, test to make sure all the speakers actually work. The easiest way to do this is hook each one up to the normal stereo output alone and make sure each set works. [Testing for a bum wire]

From there, the next thing I would check is if the side/rear speakers aren't being flipped [which happens a LOT on some audio chipsets].

While testing, turn off all enhancement options from the audio deck, as that will make finding the issue even harder.
m
l
August 21, 2011 3:53:19 PM

Have you tried the speaker fill option in the Via hd sound manager.
m
l
August 28, 2011 1:03:28 AM

gamerk316 said:
Gah, I hate this problems, as they are typically a setup problem of some sort.

I'm a bit unfamilliar with the Z5300's, but I know they connect via analog, which eliminates the majority of potential [Dolby] issues. So first and formost, test to make sure all the speakers actually work. The easiest way to do this is hook each one up to the normal stereo output alone and make sure each set works. [Testing for a bum wire]

From there, the next thing I would check is if the side/rear speakers aren't being flipped [which happens a LOT on some audio chipsets].

While testing, turn off all enhancement options from the audio deck, as that will make finding the issue even harder.

Well I'm sure I don't have a bum wire,and when I set the speakers to 8 instead of 6(5.1), if I press the side speakers noise comes out of my front speakers. It seems like my front speakers are being recognized as side speakers...

christop said:
Have you tried the speaker fill option in the Via hd sound manager.

Yes, I'm using the speaker fill option right now. It doesn't help the issue I'm having though.
m
l
!