Open case of Sony VGN-A600

Could someone tell me how to open the case of a Sony VGN-A600? I've
tried prying off the hinge covers, but they seem to be attached to the
strip that covers the speakers, and I didn't see a way to remove that,
even when I removed all the screws that had arrows pointing to them.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
2 answers Last reply
More about open case sony a600

    LarryF@drmworld.com wrote:
    > Could someone tell me how to open the case of a Sony VGN-A600? I've
    > tried prying off the hinge covers, but they seem to be attached to the
    > strip that covers the speakers, and I didn't see a way to remove that,
    > even when I removed all the screws that had arrows pointing to them.
    >
    > Thank you for any help you can give me.

    Laptops tend to be constructed from the bottom to the top and are
    typically opened from the top as a consequence (at least newer laptops
    that are assembled by machine). Look carefully at the strip with the
    speakers and power button, it might slide to the left, fixed in place by
    one screw on the left margin, typical for recent Vaio laptops. Slide
    that to the left 1/2 inch (~1cm) and lift out, exposing the keyboard
    retaining screw(s).

    Thanks for the response. I've succeeded in getting the hinge covers off
    and the keyboard out, but now I've run into something else. I still
    can't lift the case off because of one screw that attaches the case to
    the motherboard. This screw isn't normal. Rather than having a regular
    or phillip's head, it has a 3-slot head, like a Y or a peace symbol.
    All I want to do is swap the CD drive, but it appears that Sony didn't
    want anyone without special tools to get inside the computer. Does that
    mean that they want me to take it to a certified repair center if the
    hard drive crashes? Why are they trying so hard to keep me out of my
    computer?

    Am I missing something, or am I going to have to pay someone to swap my
    CD drive?

    Thanks.

    Quaoar wrote:
    > Laptops tend to be constructed from the bottom to the top and are
    > typically opened from the top as a consequence (at least newer laptops
    > that are assembled by machine). Look carefully at the strip with the
    > speakers and power button, it might slide to the left, fixed in place by
    > one screw on the left margin, typical for recent Vaio laptops. Slide
    > that to the left 1/2 inch (~1cm) and lift out, exposing the keyboard
    > retaining screw(s).

Sony Cases Laptops