Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Windows 7
  • Computer
  • Windows Vista
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2011 3:06:21 PM

So I built a computer, and everything was working fine, but then I found out that we only had the Windows 7 Upgrade instead of the full version when I tried to install it.

Well that wasn't a problem I simply went on eBay and ordered a copy of Windows Vista full version so I could use the upgrade disk to upgrade it to Windows 7.

I have not touched the computer at all since I tried to install the Windows 7 and found out it was just an upgrade but for some reason after a week of waiting for Windows Vista...my computer won't respond anymore when I turn it on.

it goes to black screen and in the upper left hand corner all there is is a white flashing underline. 0 response to any CD being placed in or any keys I press/mouseclicks. It simply does nothing.

Before it it would ask me to insert a CD, why doesn't it now that I actually have the CD it wants?

More about : newly built computer respond

a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2011 7:31:21 PM

Can you get into the BIOS when you first boot up? Or does it do this right away?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 26, 2011 8:07:28 PM

That blinking line normally means no operating system found. Is the DVD of Vista you purchased legit it might not be bootable so your PC bypasses it and finds nothing to boot from... If you put the Windows 7 DVD in does it still try to boot from it?

Thently

PS you could have just snagged a copy off of the internet no crack needed so not illegal per se.... Install when it says put in key put nothing in it will run for 30 days without requireing a key then just run your upgrade...

m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2011 9:33:46 PM

jasonw223 said:
Can you get into the BIOS when you first boot up? Or does it do this right away?

It goes to that screen right away.

Also, it doesn't respond to the Windows 7 disc anymore either. This doesn't make sense, I haven't touched it in a week it has just been sitting there turned off for a week. A power outage couldn't do anything to it with a power strip with surge protector and being off could it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2011 10:01:37 PM

If you aren't getting your motherboard post messages... given the option to select boot devices etc., then it actually sounds a little like a motherboard / cpu / ram problem.

I've had that same problem (sort of) when trying to boot to a DVD... In the boot options I was picking DVD/CD when there was a TSSTCorp DVD Writer option down below that I missed. It wasn't actually booting to the DVD, and was driving me crazy...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 12:18:31 AM

Reset CMOS?
m
l
May 27, 2011 10:57:30 PM

None of those helped.

I can't reset it, I can't do anything. The computer turns on but it won't respond to anything I do.
m
l
May 27, 2011 11:39:38 PM

The computer beeps once when I turn it on now. What does that mean?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2011 3:24:33 PM

If you have your motherboard manual you can check for 'beep codes.'
m
l