Help please

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2011 3:40:19 PM

hey guys I want your advice
I am thinking about building a gaming rig and I want your help about the cpu,gpu and mobo
cpu: I am thinking about core i3 2100 or phenom 2 955 with 4gb ddr3 ram
gpu:gtx 460 1gb or 6850 or gtx 560
mobo:MSI H67MA-E35 or asus m4a785td-v evo
no oc
just for gaming

More about : question

May 26, 2011 3:47:00 PM

I'm an AMD fan myself. So I like the 955. According to benchmarks, they look close performance wise.

AMD's bulldozer is right around the corner, why not wait. I think it comes out June 12. If you can't wait, maybe check into an AM3+ board and upgrade to a newer chip later.
m
l
May 26, 2011 3:51:39 PM

I live in syria so I think It will come here in july or august and
I have read that i3 2100 is better than phenom 2 955
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2011 4:13:12 PM

I agree with earlier post, still might be better waiting a bit. That sandy bridge i3 is definately a great chip but with AMD rolling out there new technology there could be some price shifting to your benefit. It also depends on your definition of a gaming rig. I own a 6850 (Sapphire) and I love it, one of the better price, energy consumption, and performance models. The 6850 compared to my buddies 6990 is nothing though, but I built my whole AMD 955 system for what his graphic card costs and his furnace consumes less power.

If you want exceptional performance on the newest games for a few years, step up to a 6900 flavor and a 2500 i5 CPU. If your happy with high settings for this year, what you've marked down will work great. A z68 series board is better when your using an ssd if you ever plan on trying that and has a few more whistles.

As for Nvidia, personally I haven't owned one of there cards in some time since the 9800 clone debacle so I won't comment on them.
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:17:31 PM

thanks but my budget is only 500 dollars for the cpu,gpu and mobo
m
l
May 27, 2011 2:31:14 PM

I would almost say wait a little as mentioned Bulldozer is coming out, so it may push prices down.

The other thing I like about AMD is for example, my system is about 4-5 years old, old AM2 board. I've upgraded to 4gb of ram from 2, video card upgrade into a GTS 450. Now with my old dual core, I should build again correct?

Or I can go pick up a new Athlon II or Phenom II quad core, do a bios update and drop one of those into the board. You need to get a decent board in the first place for that, mine is an old Gigabyte board. But if budget will be a big thing, I suggest AMD as at least on their older stuff, they've made the ability for upgrades pretty good. On my old system, it enables me to spend 100 to get a better chip instead of 500 for a new computer.

So that's another reason for AMD.

If I were you, I would look at an 8 series board instead of a 7 series, the 8xx series are more likely going to have the bios updates to make sure they support all the x4's and x6 chips out of the box without bios upgrades.

4gb of ram will definitely be good.

For your processor, I would say the 955 should be good. For 120 bucks in the states, hard deal to beat, or if you can maybe look at the 965 or better due to higher clock speeds since you said no OC.

For a GPU, if you are on an extreme budget the lowest I would get is a GTS 450. They are going to be about the performance of a 5770 or 5750, somewhere in between I think. For not much more, 140 or so in the US, you can get the GTX 460. Which I think was supposed to compete with the 5770, but in some cases gets closer to the speed of a 5830.

I will say even the GTS 450 is a decent card, I picked one up, cost me 125, but with a 45 dollar rebate to basically get it for 80 was a good deal. I know I game at 1680x1050 and can play most of my stuff on full/ultra settings with it on my older Athlon x2 at 2.8ghz.

Those are the things I'd start with and build from there, see what you have left moneywise, then upgrade as you can, remember, windows alone will cost you around 100.
m
l
May 27, 2011 7:15:42 PM

hi thanks for the reply but I am planning to buy my pc after the bulldozer come out and planning not to upgrade it before 4 years and I want to current games like crysis,gta iv
black ops on highest settings on my 17 inch moniter and my budget is 500 dollars just for the cpu,gpu and mobo
m
l
May 27, 2011 7:17:31 PM

hi thanks for the reply but I am planning to buy my pc after the bulldozer come out and planning not to upgrade it before 4 years and I want to current games like crysis,gta iv
black ops on highest settings on my 17 inch moniter and my budget is 500 dollars just for the cpu,gpu and mobo
m
l
May 28, 2011 7:34:11 AM

Well either way then man, with a 17 inch monitor, most cards should be able to max out any games at that resolution. I don't know if you want a system to last 4 years because it may be getting kind of slow by the end. However, Intel is no doubt going to be the fastest chips, but AMD typically has a little better price, and may have a better upgrade path. So those are the things to look at.
m
l
!